passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Doom Eternal

one-armed dwarf

5 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

It's not true that every enemy has a weapon weakness, what they have are weak spots you can break off but generally the game is "use what you want".

If that is in the codex then I dont know but almost every weapon has something to bring to a fight.

But yea the combat loop is very busy for a Doom game.

Again I can't be completely sure because I've not got the game anymore to check but a lot of enemies when I looked through the Codex were weak to certain weapons. I played through the whole game and didn't know that Hell Knight's are weak to Chaingun fire for example. There were tons of others in there where the Codex outright explains which weapons to use on which enemy. 

Some enemies may or not have a certain weapon weakness and may just have weakpoints but if certain enemies' weak point is easily blown off with - say, the Grenade Launcher ability on the Shotty - then you're gonna use that as your go-to weapon for that enemy aren't you. Whenever I went up against an Arachnotron or Cacodemon I always got out the Shotty and used its second ability to stick a grenade on the tail or in its mouth.

They’re not weak to the specific weapons though, they more advisory when it comes to the weapon to use. And the Hell

Knight is the only one to say that if I remember rightly. The rest are “shoot it’s arm cannons with the rifle” and such. But again, it says it recommends the chain gun. Doesn’t say it’s weak to it. If I used the plasma cannon or rockets it would take him down just as quickly. 

Same with the Doom Hunter, it advises to disable his shield first to stun him then seperate him from the base, but towards the end I found it easier and faster to just hookshot to him and blast his base off with the shotty at very close range while he had his shield on still. Then he loses his shield as soon as the base is destroyed. 
All enemies can be defeated just as easily with other tactics. Same with the Mancubus. It advises to shoot his arms with the rifle, fuck that, waste of time, just fire rockets or use the turret. Takes him down in seconds. Or the cyber Mancubus, says to blood punch him to remove armour, fuck that, get in close, 2x shotgun blasts takes all his armour off just as well. 

The only enemies you need to pay attention to  with regards to weakness are the flying ones and The Marauder. And even the Marauder is faster to kill with the ballista not the shotgun like the codex says. 

The weakness stuff is mostly useless. 

54 minutes ago, mfnick said:

They’re not weak to the specific weapons though, they more advisory when it comes to the weapon to use.

The weakness stuff is mostly useless. 

Well, a lot are, it’s just you don’t have to use those particular weapons, you can use an assortment of others too. 

I wouldn’t say it’s mostly useless at all but it definitely isn’t essential. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/g95xz7/is_this_what_cronovirus_does/

Also apparently Mick Gordon has had a falling out with Bethesda. Not sure why but apparently they exerted a little bit too much creative oversight on his soundtrack? As well as badly mastering the OST

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-21-doom-eternal-composer-distances-himself-from-soundtrack-album

Bethesda comment on Mick Gordon disagreements, the truth is often quite boring 

This is one side of the story but TL;DR is they say deadlines were being missed and they (Bethesda) were under pressure to deliver an OST to not fall foul of consumer protection laws, which meant they had to use compressed game audio rather than original masters (which only Mick had) and make tracks out of them.

35 minutes ago, mfnick said:

I didn’t realise they were doing campaign DLC, just assumed it’d be MP crap as usual. Awesome, will definitely get that when it’s released! 

Yeah same, kinda wish I kept my copy now but then I never play DLC despite buying season passes numerous times so perhaps it’s for the best. ?

This game can't catch a break. Eternally doomed to reap the worst headlines.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/newest-doom-eternal-update-on-pc-adds-denuvo-anti-cheat-that-uses-a-kernel-mode-driver.205125/

It's got a denuvo anti cheat thing enabled at kernel level. I can't pretend I fully understand it but I think it's basically like giving the game your front door keys and can potentially be a massive security issue on your PC should there be a security vulnerability in the game itself.

think that's the problem anyway. Also apparently future master levels are a twitch prime exclusive. That's kind of weird?

13:23 edit I see also in that thread it breaks Linux/Proton support. Fucking hell, strong grounds for a refund that. Taking away OS support.

They're removing the anti cheat stuff

That's pretty neat. I just ordered a 144fps Gsync monitor and was thinking of finally finishing this game on it but reluctant to install whatever this thing was so glad I don't have to. You cannot play steam games without updating them, which is really something I wish they would change.

I bet this game looks sick in bullshit framerates.

• 4 months later...