passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Doom Eternal

one-armed dwarf

Played a bit more of this over the weekend.

Probably the biggest difficulty spike so far for me was the boss fight at the end of the 4th mission. The first phase wasn’t too bad but then in the second phase you had to fight two of them and I was like WTF, died a bunch of times and got offered the ‘Sentinel Armour’ but declined to take it. Eventually managed it after a couple more deaths.

After that spike though the game has been much easier for me. I used a bunch of my sentinel batteries to unlock some Crystals at the base which I used to upgrade my ammo, armour and health capabilities, unlocked some praetor suit upgrades too. So things have definitely been less crazy ever since, you still can’t completely switch off obviously and the combat is still as great as ever but I haven’t had to focus quite as much and have been resting on my laurels a bit. 

Really liked the 5th mission. Some of the old school key gate map design from previous games was deployed here with great effect, I loved everything about this level apart from the toxic water. The water is just annoying, I understand it’s meant to be a hazard and take you out your comfort zone a bit but it just didn’t really work for me. 

I didn’t really like the 6th mission mainly because of the toxic water annoyances and it being a bit bland compared to all the previous levels. The mini- boss at the end of Mission 6 was a bit of a let down as well, I just stayed a little way away from him and shot him whenever his eyes glowed green, put him down after a few attempts. Missed a Challenge in this mission though so will be going back and picking that up later today. 

Still loving it overall but my opinion on it has perhaps dipped a little mainly due to the annoying aspects of the previous two levels. This is one long game as well! Almost takes me 3 hours to get through each mission and I understand I’m not even half way through yet.  I have a feeling I’m going to feel a little burnt out on it by the end but it’s not been an issue so far. 

I caved and bought this using some left over credit I had + cash.

Only done 2 levels but I’m fucking loving it so far! I’m even preferring it to 2016 at the moment. The small changes are just  about all for the better. It feels even snappier to play, the extra variety on level and background design is a huge step up, I’m liking how much it throws you straight in at the deep end and I’m finding I’m using equipment far more often. The way secrets pop up is good, the map is much faster to navigate and the fast travel ability at the end of levels is a fantastic feature! I’m enjoying the dash ability. I love how chunks go flying out of enemies when you shoot them and show bits their insides as well.  

I do however wish chainsaw ammo was slightly more plentiful with how much you need to use it now. It recharges but sometimes not fast enough for my liking and I’ve never been able to use it on a heavy enemy yet like I did on 2016 due to lack of fuel. I do think the ammo count is a bit too light for the weapons too, it could do with being somewhere between 2016 and the current level as it does encourage a bit more experimentation but it’s just a bit too stingy. I wish it was a bit more clear when your equipment, flame thrower and chainsaw had recharged too, Ive tried using them many times before they’ve recharged. The way you can’t restart secret encounters and hell gates with fresh stuff is a bit harsh too, I think I may have preferred having the rune type challenges from 2016 if given the choice. 

Apart from these small things it’s bloody brilliant. Hope the quality doesn’t drop off  for me as most responses I’ve seen to this game have been quite neutral-negative which I’m just not seeing at the moment. 

If you can push through there are two or three really good levels in the middle/near the end part of the game that I really enjoyed, with some exceptional combat sequences. From what I've heard of the rest of the game it's probably the peak of the entire campaign.

One of the levels is the one from the E3 blowout, just a really cool combo of platforming and combat arena stuff (yes there is a level where the platforming is actually good and works with combat)

After that tho I got bored. It's just a bit of a bummer. I'll see the end eventually

Names of levels

Spoiler

Gore nest, the one on Mars's moon and the Arc complex thing

Yeah it's shit isn't it. 

Blakey is wrong about that level imo, it's so good. Once you get the super shotgun the mobility is incredible. The game is best when it hits a decent balance between open space and enough line of sight obstacles. There's one fight in that level which is just in a big room with a couple pillars but it just never lets up with how intense it gets (without being unfairly difficult). I wish I had a recording of it cause it was so much fun to play through.

I think if the game was a bit shorter and cut out half its features it would be much better

The first one is a right piss take. The tip when it’s introduced says they respawn enemies while they’re active. So I thought it would be pointless even trying to kill them so ran around and lost about 2 lives just trying to find it. Then found I actually needed to kill some to open up the teleport to the totem. WTF?! You don’t tell me it’s basically pointless killing enemies because they respawn and then make me kill enemies.

& the 2nd one was well hidden too but to make it worse you have to traverse around really harsh lava while been chase by super duper fast enemies. Lost about 2 lives there too. Worse level just due to the totems. You’ve already got the odds badly stacked against you without them. Just pointless difficulty hikes. Only addition I’ve not really liked so far. Not seen any in the following level though which is good. 

I’m getting worried about the Marauder though. I enjoyed him as a boss fight but if they introduce him as a normal enemy, they can get fucked. 

Apart from that Gore Nest level I’ve still been absolutely fucking loving this game though. 

I just don't find the totems difficult to deal with really. I agree the first one is a little confusing because it's hidden behind a gate and you have to kill a few enemies to open it, but after that it's just like 'oh I know there's a buff totem' then walking around a corner, finding it, then bashing it. 

50 minutes ago, mfnick said:

If they introduce him as a normal enemy, they can get fucked. 

From what Andy said previously I understand that's exactly what they do. Apparently the Ballista/Super Shotty Quick Switch is the best way to deal with him.

Yeah I've seen that. Keep medium range and switch quick (cancels reload/recovery animation)

The thing with buff totems is it kills momentum when you're running around trying to find one to smash. It's one of those bad ideas that doesn't work imo. Archvilles is a better way to have that mechanic

Maurader’s do indeed rock up on a semi regular basis. Not constantly, but usually once per level. Apparently the Balista works well against them. I mostly used my Super Shotgun, seeing as all your really powerful weapons do fuck-all against him.

I just felt he ruined every fight he showed up in. You have to focus on killing the bastard, as he’s such a pain in the arse. But doing so while being bombarded by other enemies is a chore. 

I think it was Skill Ups review that said you could remove Marauder from the game, and it would be a vast improvement. And I absolutely agree. He’s not fun, he’s just a cheap cunt.

I’ve only had 2 so far when they first get introduced and they definitely weren’t just round the corner for me. & as others have pointed out, it just ruins the flow. 

I think I may have to drop the difficultly if the Marauder is just as difficult while also being surrounded by other normal enemies. Don’t think I’d have the patience for it. He makes a bad enemy in the same way the totems are bad for the game too IMO. His inclusion in normal fights will change the flow in a bad way. All the game is based around aggression and movement but with him you’re basically having to hold back and do nothing until his opening a allows you to attack. It’s completely counter intuitive to how the rest of the game is built and wants you to play. As a boss this was fine but I can see it really hurting the regular gameplay. 

55 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The point is you have to run around looking for them, so it puts a stop on the combat for a bit and turns it into Where's Wally. It goes from a fast game with lots of options into a slow, linear one

And you aren't running around anyway?! It's a fast paced FPS where you run around a lot ?

43 minutes ago, mfnick said:

I’ve only had 2 so far when they first get introduced and they definitely weren’t just round the corner for me. & as others have pointed out, it just ruins the flow. 

I think I may have to drop the difficultly if the Marauder is just as difficult while also being surrounded by other normal enemies. Don’t think I’d have the patience for it. He makes a bad enemy in the same way the totems are bad for the game too IMO. His inclusion in normal fights will change the flow in a bad way. All the game is based around aggression and movement but with him you’re basically having to hold back and do nothing until his opening a allows you to attack. It’s completely counter intuitive to how the rest of the game is built and wants you to play. As a boss this was fine but I can see it really hurting the regular gameplay. 

The instance I'm referencing was on the Mars Core mission. I went into a combat arena, fought a few imps, realised they were covered in a red mist, thought to myself 'there must be a buff token around then'. Went round to the left side of the arena, took a right around a corner and there it was. Bashed it and that was it, easy.

I've only fought the Marauder once during the boss fight but to me his attacks were so well choreographed and his 'tell' so easy to read that it only took me a few tries before I sussed him out. Granted that was on his own, with other enemies around him he may be a different kettle of fish.

Just now, DisturbedSwan said:

And you aren't running around anyway?! It's a fast paced FPS where you run around a lot

I mean my own playstyle is less running around and more like flying around. 

But with a buff totem I have to pull the brakes and be a boring buff totem searching guy and search every corner exactly once. The two playstyles don't really fit each other. One is about moving towards the enemies and being really aggressive to mitigate damage to yourself. The other is the exact opposite, running away all the time.