passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Battle Chasers: Nightwar

radiofloyd

This is fantastic. Apparently it’s inspired by a comic book or something. It’s an rpg where overworld traversal takes place on like a beautiful board game map, which then transitions into proper exploration for dungeons and other “explorable areas” (not unlike the transition in the PS1 Final Fantasy games). The character art and background art is lovely. 

ss_86bab0f132dfb102a390cc33028c84d61b22b

ss_60e5b48361f2e1a7520d5f1fc052f6cc8c935

Combat is turn-based, jrpg style. But the game has a couple of original, interesting ideas. Aside from default attacks, characters have abilities that cost mana, but you also have a stat called overcharge. Default attacks give you overcharge, and if you use abilities that cost mana, the game uses your overcharge first before taking from your mana. So if you have 20 overcharge, and you use an ability that costs 25 mana, you lose 20 overcharge and only 5 mana. It’s an interesting system that differentiates the game from other turn based RPGs. 

Also, attacks and abilities have casting speeds (eg instant, very fast, fast) which is another thing you have to take into account. I bought it heavily discounted but it’s been easily worth that so far.

98eec44e745e7cfb54ae74ad5b7a1dbec28f22c7

The comic is really good. Less than ten issues to date. Although Joe Mad did say the success of the game might reinvigorate the title. Time will tell. As far as the game, I was really enjoying it too.  Played it for about 10-20 hours last year. Haven't played anything so far this year, but definitely one I aim to finish. I miss not having the time to play RPG's at length, anymore.?

I’m well into the second dungeon now and I’ve pretty much settled into playing this on autopilot, it really is comfort food gaming. But it’s well made and and the hours can disappear quickly. Solid game.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, this is on game pass for console and PC.

I played a little bit today to see what its' like. I like the style. The overland map looks pretty good, and there are some nice satisfying animations in the battles - especially the Golem character's main attack.

Thanks for letting me know and the recommendation, really appreciated I wouldn’t have given this a second look - never heard of it, shit title and shit cover. But gave it a go, only played about a hour so far but really, really liking what I’ve played up to now. It does look gorgeous and the attacks in battles feel and look really meaty and powerful. 
The overdrive system seems like it could be a really smart alteration to traditional Turn based combat. It basically gives you free manna for every regular attack you do during that battle. Some special attacks even provide extra damage or defence buffs for extra overdrive points. Really cool little system. Looking forward to getting stuck in a bit more. 

I've had my eye on this for the Switch for a little while now, and notice it's currently on sale for under £11.

I also did not realise this was on Game Pass (thanks @Craymen Edge), so have downloaded it on my Xbox and have put an hour or so into it. It's really good, the combat feels nice and chunky. It looks beautiful, the overworld is fun to traverse, battling along the way, and the Diablo-style exploration areas are nicely done too. Loving what I've played so far. 

I’m getting a bit obsessed with this now. About 20-30 hours in, loving it. Got 6 party members now, and got some devastating attack combos on the go. Bloody hard at times though. 

What a great surprise! Not had a game surprise me like this for ages. Thank god for Game Pass and for the recommendations! 

Now completed. Loved it. Especially the combat system. The overdrive stuff works really well and I’m going to miss it in future turn based RPG games. In about 50+ hours I didn’t get bored of it at all. I repeated dungeons which thankfully have some alternative rooms stitched in to help with variety and filled out most of the bestiary just because I enjoyed it so much. 

You can tell it’s been made on a bit of a budget though, which has helped it in some ways and obviously hurt it in others. Where it’s helped is with the other world IMO. Unlike most RPG games it’s not just a empty land mass. You’re on set paths and it’s a lot more compact and dense with a lot less just endless and dull meandering about doing nothing. Which I like. It only has 1 proper town so again no wandering about bloated and boring towns getting endless dull side quests. Just a selection of shops with the odd 1 or 2 tasks. But the budget hurts it in variety. Each dungeon only has a couple variations and theres not really many different looking enemies. There’s about 20 varieties of spiders, 20 varieties of bats, 5 different coloured slimes etc. They all have different abilities so require different tactics as you’d imagine but it’s still disappointing. the story is pretty lacklustre and sparse too. But overall I really really enjoyed it. The ending leaves it wide open for a sequel too. Don’t know if this did well enough but I’ll be there day 1 for that.

8/10

Its on Game Pass so give it a go if you like classic RPG mixed with a bit of dash of Diablo. Or even if you just like classic RPG’s because I don’t like Diablo but still loved this.