passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Terminator Resistance

AndyKurosaki

Well, this was surprising. Coming from the people that brought us the god-awful Rambo game, and having pretty much zero hype, I wasn’t expecting much.

But this was actually alright. Certainly the best Terminator game in years, though that’s not saying much. Combat wise it’s pretty decent, though it’s a bit annoying that Terminators more or less insta-kill you, and your weapons do absolutely no damage to them. Thankfully the next level gives you a plasma rifle, so it’s payback time.

There are Telltale style conversation choices, that affect the ending. Though not dramatically so. Still, the writing is decent, and the voice acting is good. 

It’s not massively long, I played most of it last night, and finished it this afternoon. But I had fun while doing so. It was certainly worth a rental.

• 3 weeks later...

This is currently £14 on PS Store so I picked it up earlier.

Only done the first mission so far (it's still installing) but it seems decent.

Character feels a bit heavy/slow, but I adjusted camera sensitivity and it improved it a little. Combat feels nice, and destroying the machines feels satisfying, although they drop a lot easier than I was expecting.

Heard nothing but good things about it so looking forward to playing more later.

The videos and reviews I've seen remind me a little of the situation with Singularity on 360/PS3. A competent low-ish budget game that doesn't try to do too much, but does it well, and had barely any marketing so went fairly unnoticed. 

I’ll be honest and say I thought this was going to be shite. As their previous Rambo game last generation was absolutely awful, one of the worst games I’ve played in years. And let’s face it, there hasn’t been a decent Terminator game in a long time. And it had so little fan-fare behind it. It went from no clue it even existed, to “here’s our game, it’s out in a few months”, to being released with pretty much zero marketing.

Yet despite that, it’s actually a good game. It was certainly satisfying levelling T800s with a plasma rifle. The combat doesn’t do anything that hasn’t been done in a million other shooters. But it’s fun.  I had a good time with it from start to finish. It feels like a game from a previous generation, without bullshit DLC, or a massively bloated sandbox filled with bugger all.

Its certainly worth the sale price it’s currently on PSN for. 

• 6 months later...

I finished this a couple of weeks ago, and you know what? This was one of my favourite 'low-budget' games from this gen. It was great! I actually liked that the levels were linear but had room for exploration on top.

Taking down all the different bots was great fun - each one had different tactics to kill. The guns were well varied, and I bloody LOVED the chipset upgrades for the weapons. Loads of side missions too, which surprised me. 

Got the platinum, too. Only had to go back for one, so it was nice and easy to achieve.

It certainly was, @Nag. One of my mates was watching me play it at the time, and while I was throwing a hissy fit over the possibility of having to start again he suggested I load up an auto-save, so it only took about 5 minutes to sort after the credits rolled.

• 2 months later...