passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Goblin Sword

DANGERMAN

I suspect this is on everything but I saw it on Switch in the recently released section at a reduced price. It stands out for how it looks, which is that better than 16-bit pixel art, really vibrant and colourful, the trailer makes it look great. 

It's... ok. There's not enough, early on at least, going on to make it particularly interesting. It's fine, it's an action platformer, but a basic one, it feels like a good Master System game, or an early Mega Drive game, Kid Chameleon or something like that. You've got limited hearts, you take damage if you get hit or touch enemies, you jump over spokes, jump gaps, and hit enemies with your sword. An awful lot of the enemies don't do a lot, they'll stand still, walk towards you, or just float up and down, some are more challenging and it isn't hard to lose hearts as the game goes on. 

The trailer shows you with a huge sword, that looks fun, I don't have that yet. You can buy weapons when you finish the first world, but what I've bought still has a range problem. It makes the game feel very deliberate and basic, and like there's a better game waiting a few hours in. It's not terrible, and for a couple of quid it's actually a reasonably good game, it just feels a bit dated in a way I'm not sure is intended 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've carried on chipping away at this, the structure is a little... I don't know, against its best interests? When you do half the levels in a world you get a boss, beat the boss and it kicks you back to the world hub and opens a new world of levels. Which meant I didn't realise there were loads of levels undone on the first world until today. 

It's got better. Its still a basic game but there's more to the enemies and level design now. I can see myself finishing it, unless I have to beat every level