passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guacamelee! 2

HandsomeDead

Guess it's time to make a thread, maybe?

I don't actually have a lot to say because I started it ages ago but put it to the side for some reason.  I think I was having a hard time as it's a little more difficult than the first one from what I remember. 

But I'd played it a lot more than I thought.  I had six hours clocked and I thought I was half that in, at the most. 

After a little flapping around like an idiot while I got used to it again I started having a really good time with it like the first one.  Dunno why I put it down. 

But I got towards the end and it looks like it has that same thing as the first one where you have to get a bunch of collectables hidden behind some hardcore challenges so I guess I'm gonna have to go and see all talented and big dicked enough to get the proper ending. 

It's a really good game, better than the first in pretty much all aspects. There is definitely more tough platforming - almost twitch platformer standard - than the first, and I think that better balances the game with an extra dimension on top of the combat. As a metroidvania it's still linear and not overly focused on exploration, so the combat/platforming focus works well. Also the way they bring back the meme humour almost makes up for its inclusion in the first! :P

I think both of these are on Gamepass. I played the first one on the Vita and didn’t really like it, but it was on the Vita so that’s a massive handicap to any game. Maybe I should give them another try while they’re “free”.

The only way I can think of to make the combat easier is play co-op, but that's it. 

I dunno what troubled you with the combat @spatular but just remember the I-frames on the roll are pretty generous so you can just roll around until you're somewhere safe and always use weakened enemies to throw into others to knock them down.  There are tricky parts still but that should get you through a lot.

17 hours ago, Maf said:

I think both of these are on Gamepass. I played the first one on the Vita and didn’t really like it, but it was on the Vita so that’s a massive handicap to any game. Maybe I should give them another try while they’re “free”.

What? It was great on Vita, that's where I played the first game! Has a really good d-pad and the art pops on the OLED screen

• 2 years later...

Been playing this on stream. It's good, isn't it?

The fighting in it reminds me of Viewtiful Joe a bit, everything seems to be able to chain into everything as well as the game sort of giving you hints via the worlds puzzles that give you and incentive to try and tie your hands in knots. Some of it is a tad rough in that you have to batter your head against a problem until you work out a specific way to deal with it, or a tactic that works against a specific enemy, but aside form a few places the game's very generous with checkpointing.

It has that right level of anger inducing but really satisfying gameplay, sort of like Super Meat Boy and Hotline Miami would have, where everything is bullshit until you've done it, but it feels really gratifying to have overcome the issue or worked out a strategy that makes life a bit easier. The way it stops you from relying on certain moves as well by designing levels that prevent you from being a bit cheesy is really smart, but a bit infuriating also when you are as bad at game as I am.

Looks fantastic too, everything moves fluidly, the soundtrack is a banger, I love all the Lucha jokes and general humour tone. It's a good one. I'm glad I didn't skip over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Closing in on the end of this now and still enjoying it a lot. Quite surprised people found it super difficult, outside of a few parts where I need to coordinate I've not had that much trouble, which is saying something as I'm fucking terrible at games.

I had a look to see what was out at the time and I can sort of see why now. This released mid/end of August 2018.

After Yakuza 3. After Dead Cells. Before Spiderman. Before Hollow Knight. Plus others, but those are the largest ones.

Now I know they're not the most similar games (aside from Hollow Knight), but they're stuff that people might spent time looking forwards to and spending time on over this game. Which is a shame really, as this is a fantastic game. I never played the first Guac, but Guac 2 has really surprised me with it's quality and I'm sort of surprised it wasn't a hit here. I thought for sure a few people here would have been all over it.

So yeah. If you find time to fit a game in that won't take the world to finish, I recommend this. It's a good one. Shame it was overlooked by pretty much everyone in my circle, including me.