passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

[Rumour/Leak] Resident Evil Rumours

DisturbedSwan

The problem isn't with open world games, it's about games putting content ahead of craft. But there's lots of open worlds which don't do this

You know, I bet Nag would agree with me, but Dragon's Dogma's item box and adventuring mechanics would work really well with a Resident Evil game. The way you have to plan, and can get caught out in night, you can see the Resident Evil DNA in it

I wouldn’t be thrilled with an open world, as so few of them are actually any fun. Too many go “let’s have a massive map”,

and then fill it with sod all. Or go the Ubisoft route of filling the map with an eye bleeding amount of icons, to the point where i go “I can’t be arsed”. 

I gave up on Elden Ring because of its open world confusing nature. Ditto the latest Zelda game. 

I'm not against it, but I don't want it. My favourite RE game is still RE7 because I like the haunted house stuff. I feel like a lot of that will be lost in an open world game. 

Although from what I played of it, Evil Within 2 was pretty good 

The thing is, you want some friction and danger with a Resident Evil game. I guess you also want some sense of direction, but frankly I thought Alan Wake 2's sort of more free structure shows that a different approach can work. The thing that's great with Dragon's Dogma is how poorly laid plans can fuck you up, in exactly the same way that a poorly prepared run from one side of the mansion to the other can. Admittedly, a ton of the appeal of these games lies in their intimately laid out hallways and shortcuts. But even a game like DD can do stuff like that, just in a different way.

Perhaps that's all recency bias, but in either case I think it's a mistake to think of all OW games as having a similar approach or being dismissive of such an experiment. There are definitely more games than Ubisoft icon cleanups. There's very different types of OW that can still have pushback and consequence. It's something Resident Evil hasn't really tried either, and I think it's in a bit of a stale position right now, relying on remakes and the Ethan stuff has really sort of petered out. Like, if you're a fan of classic RE, FPS RE, action focused RE or even VR RE, every single one of these tastes has been very well served the past few years so imo there's not much to complain about here