passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

[Rumour/Leak] Resident Evil Rumours

DisturbedSwan

There are so many RE games being made that I don't know how the hardcore fanbase can feel ill served, it's become like an Assassin's Creed series for Capcom. One every year nearly.

Revelations will probably be another low scale effort but there's also going to be REVIII and a remake of RE4. I mean I'd like a VR mode in VIII but it's not like there aren't high budget RE games getting made with high spec requirements

I think it arguably has already really. RE3 could’ve (and perhaps should’ve) been DLC at 7.5 hours in length (I know it’s replayable as fuck but still).

I just hope they don’t follow too closely to 7 with 8, I know it looks similar I just hope it hasn’t become a formula like RE3 felt like after 2. I want it to feel as fresh and new as 7 did.

• 1 month later...

VGC: Sources: Capcom has overhauled its plans for a Resident Evil 4 remake CAPCOM DIVISION 1 BROUGHT IN AS NEWCOMER M-TWO SEES ROLE REDUCED, SOURCES INDICATE

Capcom’s in-development Resident Evil 4 remake has seen a major change of leadership due to disagreements over its direction, according to people with knowledge of the project.

New studio M-Two has seen its role significantly reduced on the unannounced project, the sources told VGC, and mainline Resident Evil studio Capcom Division 1 has been brought in to lead a new direction.

As first reported by VGC last year, the Resident Evil 4 remake has been in development since 2018 led by Osaka-based M-Two, the studio founded by former PlatinumGames head Tatsuya Minami.

Little has been shared publicly about M-Two, but people with knowledge of the company said it was partly funded by Capcom and comprised of some former PlatinumGames employees, including developers from the Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta 2 teams.

Our original report on M-Two and Minami’s involvement, published in Dec 2019, was later confirmed by the credits of Resident Evil 3.

The company contributed to the development of 2020’s RE3 remake, with Minami taking on an executive producer role, but the start-up’s main purpose was always to lead the next, bigger remake, Resident Evil 4.

Capcom’s Resident Evil 4 remake has been overhauled, sources indicated.

However, multiple sources have indicated that, following a key project review late last year, it was decided that M-Two’s role on RE4’s remake would be significantly reduced. Capcom’s Division 1 – the internal team responsible for Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games – has now been brought in to lead the RE4 project, VGC understands.

It’s believed that the disagreements that led to M-Two’s reduced role involved the studio’s desire to stick faithfully to the template of the original Resident Evil 4, partly influenced by backlash to Resident Evil 3’s remake, which did not include significant portions of the original PlayStation game, much to fans’ disappointment.

Capcom’s production team, however, is said to prefer a direction which would see RE4’s remake inspired by the original, but with its own unique take on features, story elements and environments not necessarily confined to the blueprint of the original, similar to Resident Evil 2‘s use of Mr. X.

Sources said that the Resident Evil 4 Remake would now be partially rebooted under the new mandate, which could see its release delayed by as much as a year to 2023.

This kind of direction change is not uncommon within Capcom, the people said, and both Resident Evil 2 and 3 are said to have experienced similar overhauls during their development.

Capcom declined to comment when contacted ahead this story’s publication.

2005’s Resident Evil 4 is Capcom’s highest-rated game of all-time, according to review aggregation site Metacritic, with sales totalling 10.4 million copies across various platforms.

The horror instalment is regarded as one of the most influential games of the 2000s, with its off-the-shoulder viewpoint in particular widely adopted by many third-person shooters that followed.

In the 15 years since its release, Resident Evil 4 has been ported and remastered many times, but never fully remade.

2020’s Resident Evil 3 features a number of potential nods to RE4’s remake, including the introduction of Parasite zombies – which appear similar to Resi 4’s Plagas – and at least one sequence similar to the quick time events which featured heavily in the fourth game.

With Capcom Division 1’s involvement, it’s likely that many original Resident Evil 4 team members will be involved in the remake.

Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi is still at Capcom and worked on Resident Evil 6, while Resident Evil 4 designer Kouji Kakae recently worked on Devil May Cry 5.

Resident Evil 4’s original lead coder, Kiyohiko Sakata was the game director for the Resident Evil 3 remake via his company Red Works.

Resident Evil 4’s original director, Shinji Mikami, was approached to co-found M-Two but turned down the role due to his commitment to Bethesda’s GhostWire: Tokyo, VGC was told.

The veteran designer has since given his blessing to the Resident Evil 4 remake publicly. “As long as it turns out good I have no issues with it,” Mikami told IGN.

• 7 months later...

BTW, RE4 remake was one of the games on that geforce experience leak. Which also includes stuff like a Chrono Cross remaster, FFIX remake (former has sort of already been confirmed, latter we haven't heard a peep of).

I would expect them to change this quite a bit to combine elements of Code Veronica into it. Cause they seem to be just skipping that one and it's the game which re-introduced Wesker. Also it continues Claire's story from RE2, so maybe they include that as well.

Watch RE4 VR be a better game than its remake tho lol

15 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I would expect them to change this quite a bit to combine elements of Code Veronica into it. Cause they seem to be just skipping that one and it's the game which re-introduced Wesker. Also it continues Claire's story from RE2, so maybe they include that as well.

Do you know what would be good? Make REmake 4 a split Claire and Leon game, like RE 2. Leon's side is standard RE4, Claire's is Code Veronica. CV can be streamlined quite a bit just by cutting out the backtracking and similar padding.

If they did that, I'd buy it.

I think it's not unlikely that they could do something like that. But looking up earlier in this thread at blakey's comment it seems they are having a bit of an internal tiff over whether to go all out or do the same thing all over again

I think a slavish remake is a bad idea as said before, cause the original was such a timeless masterpiece in its overall encounter and level design, and pacing. Just adding VR to it with some new interactions made it the best release this year (imo). But trying to trace the outline of the old game in re engine will invite comparisons with that masterpiece (imo)

But doing a universe retcon that includes other RE storylines and giving Wesker an enhanced role just sounds like a much better direction. Especially as RE4 kinda stands out for just dustbinning ongoing storylines, while RE3make sounds like it's trying to build something new out of the old story. 

RE4 never needed a remake. Changing it up significantly, would be the only way to get anyone beyond the die hard fanboys interested.

5 minutes ago, Nag said:

That means Chris would have to be involved too... and Steve.🤮

I forget Pre-boulder punching Chris was in this. Besides, who wouldn't want to see Steve reimagined ala Carlos? You might even like him this time, as @one-armed dwarfdoes..

18 minutes ago, Nag said:

To be honest Wesker was always Chris's nemesis, Chris almost has to be in the game for Wesker to make any sense.

That makes a good point. Did anyone else ever encounter Wesker, beyond Chris & Jill? I don't think Leon or Claire ever did??