passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

[Rumour/Leak] Resident Evil Rumours

DisturbedSwan

• 2 weeks later...

Resident Evil reboot film

https://deadline.com/2020/10/resident-evil-reboot-kaya-scodelario-robbie-amell-hannah-john-kamen-origin-story-1234591729/

Constantin Film has set in motion a new adaptation to add to the ever-expanding Resident Evil movie franchise. Constantin and writer-director Johannes Roberts said Tuesday that have conceived an official origin story adaptation with faithful ties to Capcom’s classic survival horror games. This story is set in 1998 on a fateful night in Raccoon City.

Starring in the roles of the iconic game characters will be Maze Runner‘s Kaya Scodelario as Claire Redfield alongside Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and the Wasp) as Jill Valentine, Robbie Amell (Upload) as Chris Redfield, Tom Hopper (The Umbrella Academy) as Albert Wesker, Avan Jogia (Zombieland: Double Tap) as Leon S. Kennedy, and Neal McDonough (Yellowstone) as William Birkin.

Rumours about it

• 3 months later...

As always, grain of salt blah blah. RE4 remake development sounds a bit messy

According to VGC, Capcom has taken over development of RE 4 Remake and that M-Two’s (RE 3 Remake dev) role on RE4’s remake would be significantly reduced .

"It’s believed that the disagreements that led to M-Two’s reduced role involved the studio’s desire to stick faithfully to the template of the original Resident Evil 4, partly influenced by backlash to Resident Evil 3’s remake, which did not include significant portions of the original PlayStation game, much to fans’ disappointment.

Capcom’s production team, however, is said to prefer a direction which would see RE4’s remake inspired by the original, but with its own unique take on features, story elements and environments not necessarily confined to the blueprint of the original, similar to Resident Evil 2‘s use of Mr. X.

Sources said that the Resident Evil 4 Remake would now be partially rebooted under the new mandate, which could see its release delayed by as much as a year to 2023."

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake-overhauled/

Doesn't sound like it's on fire or anything but sounds like we won't be hearing from it for a while.

Personally I still think RE4 is such a redundant remake, it's still excellent. Any remake is going to have a difficult job standing alongside the original, unlike the other 3 remakes we've got which are excellent replacements if that's what you want.

My 2 cents is they should just go FFVII on it and just do something different to not invite those kinds of comparisons and maybe get the series storyline in a place where we can just retcon 5 and 6. It already felt like that's where things were leading with 3, imo.

44 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Capcom’s production team, however, is said to prefer a direction which would see RE4’s remake inspired by the original, but with its own unique take on features, story elements and environments not necessarily confined to the blueprint of the original

AKA Shameless and creatively bankrupt cash-in, riding on a popular name... Sounds familiar ?

On paper this sounds like a creative decision but as I said a while ago I still don't see how they could managed a 1:1 remake of that game anyway. That'd be a massive and expensive undertaking that'll probably not worth it financially in the end. Plus like dwarf says, RE4 as it is is fine still.

Personally I would prefer a 1:1 remake because I love the original and seeing it with modern graphics would be cool, but on the other side I think a re-imagining could be interesting too.

Capcom already had the perfect remake template in REmake 1, back in 2002. Besides, I thought the whole point of their remakes was to update the classic series onto "modern" systems. Which left only Code Veronica, not RE4.

The isometric games are easier to 1:1 remake though. There's only one vantage point so you can cut corners during development because everything that's not on screen doesn't have to be made. With 4 and its over-the-shoulder perspective the amount of work they have to put in the attain the same level of fidelity is significantly higher.

In some respects this is a very faithful remake cause RE4 original dev was also strained with lots of prototypes, one which became DMC1 

Remaking RE4 would be a bit like remaking FFVII, just a heap of locations you'd have to visit. One thing I've noticed with all these RE engine games is the first couple hours look incredible (the house in REVII, Racoon City Police in RE2, the first 2 levels of DMC5 etc) then they fall off a cliff visually speaking later on

I wonder if it's just a lot of labour to make pretty environments in RE engine. I can't imagine a game that looks as good as some of the early parts of those games while keeping all the same locations

To be fair that has always been an issue of RE games. The last area is typically a big, generic sterile lab complex. In every game I can think of?

As we've said before, remaking Code Veronica could really enhance it. Fixing some much needed quality of life issues. I doubt any alterations would cause the kind of backlash that removing RE3's key feature did. A lot of fans put RE4 on a pedestal. Changing anything will only upset a lot of people. Particularly with a modern multi-platform release that didn't need updating.  

It won't disappear but when it comes to controls that's one of those things thats easy enough to adapt to i think. Just look at how people insist still on how REmake 1 is the best RE and that controls even worse.

RE4 is exemplary for its pacing imo, it has an uncanny knack for knowing when to introduce a new scenario that keeps things feeling fresh. Until you get to the island where the only cool idea it has is regenerators. 

It's very hard to capture something like that in a Remake I'd say. I'll still play it but it could be the first of these REmakes where I don't see myself replacing the old one with the new one, unless the new one also ends up a perfect storm of game design, pacing and innovation.

The handling in RE4 is also tied to its game balance. If you give Leon free movement you have to rework every single enemy in the game.

Personally I also don't think it's that bad. You might need an hour or so to get used to it but after that it's fine. I think the last time I played it was 2018 (?), so fairly recent. The only thing that's a bit weird is that there's no analogue movement, you either walk or stand still and have to use a button to run.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Nag said:

If this turns out true the Switch thing is a right kick in the teeth.

I'd really like to see what they can pull off with a RE game on Switch. Revelations was hugely impressive on 3DS back then but the Switch only got ports so far.

There are two projects coming for PS5 and Series (Village and RE4 remake), I think it's only fair to have something on Switch, too.

(Particularly towards their shareholders who probably aren't too happy about them not having one on a system that has sold 80 million units)

It is crazy how good Revelations looked on the 3ds. 

I'm fine with them doing different things with the Revelations series. It feels like the numbered franchise and the remakes are there for the mainstream fans, this gives them the chance to do something different. A bit like Monster Hunter I suppose.