passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFGamers Doing Cool Shit

HandsomeDead

I have a story about that.

Back in the day me and my mates all had a few consoles each, but this specific mate had the XBOX along with me (I was one of the few rare ones that didn't have a PS2) so me and him used to trade games a lot and talk about titles that were exclusive to the XBOX.

Anyway one day he's saying to me "I'm taking the week off work because I'm expecting a parcel for something I ordered". I didn't really think much of it because this was back in the days where you'd order shit and the bitch'd take 6 weeks to arrive, but he was adamant that the thing was turning up that I just left him to it.

Later on that week and I get a text from him complaining about Royal Mail had fucked him by dropping a attempted delivery through his letter box and when he confronted the postie was informed it was too big for him to deliver so he'd have to go down to the depot. I was asked if the day after if I'd take him down there in the car and pick it up.

So the day after I finish my shift and go to his and pick him up. We go to the little window they have at the depot and hand the details in and the guy pisses off for like 10 minutes. We could see him walking around the back with the card in his hand looking for this parcel, in the mean time we're commenting on the big bastard that's right under the little window they normally pass shit through.

After a bit more time had passed, we're told to go around the back because the package was too big to be delivered, so we go to the original part in the back where they used to ask you to go before they put the little delivery window out front.

Said guy that we'd watched walk around for the last god knows how long says "We've got it, just need to go get the dolly for it" at which point I'm like how big is this bastard?

Anyway a few minutes later he wheels the huge box we saw right under the window we were talking about and I'm like "You have got to be fucking kidding?"

Seriously, it was on a pallet and it took pretty much all of it up. We threw it in the boot and took it back to his, cracked it open and set it all up. I'd seen this Steel Battalion game in magazines, but never really give it a thought outside of the mad controller. Playing it was really fun, but it was ruthlessly hard and a few times we managed to delete the save game by not ejecting in time.

Given the penetration sim racing has, I'm sort of surprised that nobody has attempted to revive the mech sim with all the bells and whistles. People have full rigs for flight sims and stuff like Elite Dangerous, so it's a bit odd how there's not a subgenre of set ups that revolve around those games.

It's part of the reason I think that the Mech genre is one of the most obscure in gaming. A steering wheel and pedals in Mario Kart is one thing. Pedals, joysticks and buttons to pilot a Mech is a little too out of the ordinary to hit the mainstream.

It's just an elaborate HOTAS set up though. Sure, I'm oversimplifying it a bit there, but it's not super out there. The inventions of touch screens as well can help to some degree as well as doubling up as something useful across games and outside of games.

Mech sims don't have real life analogues like flight and driving sims, so its difficult for outsiders (like me) to conceptualise why the game might be interesting. Whereas you don't even need to be good at Gran Turismo to see what its appeal is probably like cause you've seen a car before.

That's why I didn't play these games until now anyway, until I literally saw someone write the sentence 'it's gran turismo with mechs'. Its not just stomping around for a few minutes, its spending a solid 40 minutes ahead of a 10 minute mission obsessing around generators and boosters, thinking how much weight your mech should have and how stable it is or how momentum will affect it. Building a gameplan thays based around the physics of the machines movement, power resources and requirements and the type of arsenal its compatible with. The amount of people going "is it like Dark Souls but with robots" shows the disconnect. Its ignored cause its just very foreign, weird and not good at explaining what it is to those who might be actually inclined to like it

Exactly that. 

Which is why when people have asked for genre recommendations in the past, as I am the nerd who loves all things robot. I suggest the more user friendly end of the spectrum IE SRPG's. Front Mission 3 or Ring of Red are still in the same sub genre. But not to the level of a sim. Even shmup's like Omega Boost, to a lesser extent. 

• 3 months later...

Wasn't quite sure where best place for this Is, but going to stroud next sat with a group of friends to the cave then arcade archive.     been watching channel f or some time and wanted to visit so hopefully should be a good one. 

15 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wasn't quite sure where best place for this Is, but going to stroud next sat with a group of friends to the cave then arcade archive.     been watching channel f or some time and wanted to visit so hopefully should be a good one. 

I read about that place in RetroGamer recently and thought about going there myself sometime, as it's only about 1 hr away - so would be great to hear your thoughts please.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

^ we did go to arcade club the other day, i thought it was great! Played loads of stuff - mission impossible, hotd, outrun 2, sega rally, initial d, beatmania, some sort of slide dancing game, crimzon clover, ketsui, tank tank tank, and loads of other stuff. The feedback from the chair on tank tank tank was nuts, im not sure that passes health and safety checks, when you fire the cannon it slams you back and forwards, i was finding gattling gun pickups to give my back a rest.