passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokemon Ranger

James

poketg1.jpg

Arrived in the post this morning and I've been playing it non-stop since! Despite having to go through a good few tutorial style missions at the start its really fun once things get going, far better than Mystery Dungeon at least, this one IS a Pokemon game (well a true spin-off to be exact) as opposed to being a Mystery Dungeon game with Pokemon characters thrown on.

I have a feeling it could get too repetative as things go on but so far the battles have been exciting enough and there is a whole Pokeadex to fill out to keep me going. Plus this game unlocks shit in Diamond and Pearl so its a must for me regardless!

NOTE: the plush didn't come with the game, that was a mere £1.99 at Hyper Value!

Consider me extremely jealous.

I have to wait for Santa to drop this down my chimeny cos im poor till the new year. Im glad to see your enjoying it tho, it does make me want it 15,000 times more than i previously did but gosh darn it i'l have to wait. Looking forward to your further impressions.

I think I'm about half way through now since I've just learned about the three legendary Pokemon and how the battle against them is going to be one hellish fight. Things have gotten harder overall too, despite my energy and friend list increasing, I'm stuck in a tough as nails battle with Salamence at the moment:

salamence.jpg

The problem is that you have to continuously draw a set number of circles to capture it, taking your stylus off the screen or if the Pokemon touches the edge terminates the process, but this flying git often runs to the edge of the screen making it impossible to draw a full circle around him. Plus you're not allowed to use any friend abilbities during certain fights (like this one) making it very very frustrating. From what I've read, a lot of players had a tough time with this one.

• 1 month later...

Bump!

Just started this game and I love it! The one thing you can rely on for a Pokemon game is an involving plot and happy little tunes and this certainly ticks those two boxes.

Im only two hours in, so I shant say too much yet, but its great so far.

And it also feels like a title that can be played by non Poke fans, its just so different and it makes great use of the touch screen. Would you say the same James? About it maybe appealing to non Poke fans?

Definitely, this is a game that both existing fans and non-fans alike can enjoy, obviously if you know the Pokemon universe you can get a little more out of the plot (and I do mean just a little more) but anyone can pick this one up and start playing, in fact, I reckon it’s a great introduction to Pokemon for any Pikachu virgins out there.

It teaches you the very basics (like what Pokemon do what, their weaknesses etc.) without using stats or jargon and like illdog said, you can get a feel for the typical “good triumphs over evil” logic that fuels most Pokemon plots. Man I can’t recommend this game enough, I’m glad I’m not the only one into it now!

Illdog, I’ve got a full Pokeadex (along with all the extra Pokemon) so let me know if you need a hand.

Dude, you have a full Pokedex? Thats impressive. I have a long way to go.

Im six hours in and still enjoing it greatly, its very hard to put down once you turn it on, addictive gameplay and a good story = hooked. I like the puzzle elements thrown into the action of the battle. You have to study the movement of the pokemon before you can attempt to capture, it takes away any furious circling that would be akin to button mashing on a beat em up, making sure there is skill in your victory.

I havent found it that hard so far. I read back through this thread and James mentioned people having trouble with that Salamance but (and not bragging) I spanked his ass first go within about 5 seconds. My stylus hand is my shuffling hand so maybe its strong muscles allow me to circle quicker than your average non-pervert.

I found that Charizard battle more annoying, bloody flames in the way kept breaking my loops.Still, quality stuff so far.

The Control system sounds pretty innovate here, is it right to assume that you have to draw circles round a pokemone to catch it? do you have to battle it down as normal? finally, has it still got the catch and train your own pokemon element in it?

yeah I wanna know how the game plays as well, whqat style is it in? is it an RPG? do you control a person or a pokemon? what departures does it take from the normal pokemon games for it to be a spinoff?

I might get it, based on your reccomendations.

sambon wrote:

The Control system sounds pretty innovate here, is it right to assume that you have to draw circles round a pokemone to catch it? do you have to battle it down as normal? finally, has it still got the catch and train your own pokemon element in it?

No catch and training here, you can only have 7 Pokemon with you at once and once you use them in the field of play they bugger off.

You have to draw a preset number of circles around the mon you are battling as they do their darndest not to be caught.

Fed wrote:

yeah I wanna know how the game plays as well, whqat style is it in? is it an RPG? do you control a person or a pokemon? what departures does it take from the normal pokemon games for it to be a spinoff??

You control a person, the "Ranger". Its an RPG in some respects as its all about searching areas and wondering around towns.

It departs from the normal games in the way that you dont so much use your Pokemon to battle other Pokeman, rather you use the mon you caught to help clear things blocking your path and the likes. You can use the pokemon with you in battle as they add an effect to your stylus or use a special attack to hinder the mon you are trying to capture, making them an easier target to circle.

illdog, not to mention the fact that you, the Ranger, level up from gaining experience points eh? Almost RPG-ish I would say...

Anyway, good timing on playing the game now since the famous Manaphy Code (used to unlock an extra mission and gain a new Pokemon that can be used in Diamond/Pearl) will finally be revealed on the official site on the 20th.

And yes Sly...for all its campness, I loved Pokemon Snap too :unsure:

James wrote:

Anyway, good timing on playing the game now since the famous Manaphy Code (used to unlock an extra mission and gain a new Pokemon that can be used in Diamond/Pearl) will finally be revealed on the official site on the 20th.

Ooooh, exciting! I love shit like that, im gonna crack on with this game then.

****SPOILER ALERT****

The three legend Pokemon?

The first one can be done without help

The second needs to be stunned via your partner Pokemon

The third I did using a rock or fighting Pokemon to help

Just wait until you get to Mew :side:

**** END SPOILER ALERT****

hmm... sounds like an interesting game... but the main question on my lips is do you reckon you'll be able to transfer your 'mon to another game? e.g pearl? cos if so i might have to get this game just to complete my pokédex without cheating! Oh mew, you will be mine, oh yes... even if i have to get an action replay...

To transfer your mons i heard that you need two Ds's with a copy of each game. Just like you needed two gameboys with the original Pokemon games. Im thinking of getting this but want it really cheap, on the bay of E its like $30 with P&P to the states so I can see people piling on a ton for overseas postage. Bastard Americans!!(the views stated in this post are that of the small pixie residing on my shoulder, not mine at all) Bastards!

w00t, i beat the bastard! There was one point I had him beat but in my excitement accidently drew an extra circle around him and it was at that minute he broke free. Lord did I howl.

Anyway, was a great game, loved it. I finished it in 10 hours 20 mins which i admit is short, but it felt just enough. Right, the Pokedex must be filled now, seen as James did it. I take that as a glove across the face.

EDIT: By the way Shin and Sambob, you dont actually capture and store Mon in this game, you use them for your pleasure and then toss them aside, so there's no tranfering em to D or P. Except this one that James says u can unlock with this up and coming code thing. Or summink.