passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Twin Peaks

Hendo

Just watched twin peaks episode 1, it's weird, just all over the place. You can see the influence it's had on things and I can imagine at the time that it was a bit revolutionary... Really feels like a premise that is trying to find its feet. 

I really want to like it but I had to force myself start that second episode. 

There's a fan edit out there (I forget the name) where the guy has taken out all of the chuff and you just get the essential bits from the original two series (and maybe bits from the film) and not so much of the silent drape runners.

Just to clarify my meaning. I watched series 1 at uni but never got around to series 2. I watched series 1 and 2 last year and really enjoyed it. I don't think series 2 is any where near as bad as it's made out to be, but the 2nd bad guy, as important as he might be, just isn't very good 

More the problem I have with it is there's a lot of it. Series 2 in particular because a lot of it is pointless but it's twice as long as series 1

It goes on way too long and the villain is pretty terrible.

Also they could've ended it easily on the episode where they capture the murderer and it would've been fine, but oh no, we had to have the Miss Twin Peaks contest.

Watched the entirety of Twin Peaks from May-June. S1 & S2 very hard to get into, I got a lost a lot of times but got the jist of what was going on, Fire Walk with me was cool.

New series is much easier to follow, still ridiculously weird at times, like mind-bogglingly what the actual fuck weird, but still much easier to follow and its kept my interest a lot better so far.

• 1 month later...

Twin Peaks has finished. I'll put anything specific in spoilers, but it's not like it's going to make sense anyway 

For the most part I've really liked series 3. Episode 8 is possibly the greatest episode of television I've ever seen, which I know is the sort of praise that means people who end up watching it after end up disappointed but honestly, there's nothing else like it. There's moments where Twin Peaks is creepy and unbearably tense. It's also been brilliantly funny, characters I didn't initially rate I ended up loving 

Naomi Watts deserves all kinds of awards 

Spoiler

I can't help but feel like the ending undermined stuff a bit. Ignoring that the cockney was a bad, bizarre inclusion, the penultimate episode was fine, really good at points 

The final episode, cool, beautiful, unsettling, but it does ultimately mean none of it happened and none of it matters. All the set up with the drug kids, the 1 1 9 smack head, the stuff at the hotel, the phone in South America, none of it seemed to be finished 

I need to watch the last episode with headphones because apparently I missed some stuff. I think ultimately The Return was worth it though, I think there's an ending, I just don't know if it's good or bad 

I do wonder how different it would have been if half the cast wasn't dead

• 1 year later...

Been watching it on and off all year because I’ve been watching it with my gf, but I finally finished Season 2 of Twin Peaks again. I remember the first time I watched it, I hated the episodes after the conclusion of Laura Palmer’s story, but this time around I didn’t mind them so much.

I watched the first episode of the new season. Intriguing stuff...

• 5 months later...

I thought the Sopranos and Mad Men both had good endings. They were both still fairly divisive at the time though, especially The Sopranos, neither blew me away so I guess it's impossible to really nail it perfectly. I liked Quantum Leap's end, strange as it was.

Twin Peaks has had 2 endings, both of which are fantastic, both of which preceded by shit. The way series 2 starts to wrap up is awful, then Lynch put together a terrifying final episode. The Return follows a similar arc, the penultimate episode is pretty stupid, but that final episode is something else. Incredibly deep, full of subtle threads, looked amazing, was creepy and was nonsensical enough that you aren't left feeling it was an obvious end

• 6 months later...

Unbelievably, a search for Twin Peaks provided no thread and even no mention in the TV shows thread.

So, I'm a huge fan of the show but until now haven't seen the third series. That has been rectified and I've just started the first episode.

Lots of chaff in the original shows, so I'm expecting there to be some in here, but interested to see how it all pans out.

Hmm, I know I've talked about it repeatedly on here.

Episode 1&2 were shown side by side at the time, if memory serves the first 4 episodes are supposed to be watched as 2 films

also, brace yourself for a lot of chaff, some of it is important, some of it is literally just a guy brushing up

Tbh the structure of it just felt like one continuous 18 hour film

I haven't talked about it here so much I think, mainly with Shiney on gtm. But other than the ending I couldn't get on with it. Feels like it wasnt supposed to be watched week by week.

Its such an odd construction and too much is going on in it for me personally

The episodes on disc are mostly split as two episodes per disc, with the option to watch the pair as one feature, but I’m watching them one by one instead.

I remember reading the cast before the series came out, but was surprised to see a grey haired Matthew Lillard turn up. Kind of wrecked my memory of him as a twenty something stoner.

First two episodes in and I have more questions than answers.

Some returning characters look barely changed from 25 years ago, some, like Laura’s mum, I only noticed it was them once the credits rolled.

I’m most intrigued to see how supposedly it answers stuff mentioned in the film. The only thing from the film that really stuck with me as needing an answer was what happened with the Bowie scene. As I understand it, there were plans to do a trilogy in film, and that bit would make more sense later on, but the film was received so poorly that those plans got scrapped.

I love the film, and especially Sheryl Lee’s astonishing acting, but in case anyone hasn’t watched anything of any of it, for the love of god, watch in order, don’t watch the film first. 

3rd episode in and just had the most David Lynch of all David Lynch scenes. A woman with eyes sewed shut, fast slipping backwards and forwards editing and odd rumbling noises.

I did get most of the way through the Comic Con panel which is the extra on disc 2, but stopped it halfway as it started mentioning some spoilers as they did it halfway through the series being shown on TV. It did give the chance for Kyle to give a great anecdote on how Lynch reacts when someone tries to ad-lib, though.