passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bayonetta/Vanquish 10th anniversary

one-armed dwarf

I wish I could be more excited about it. I will still probably buy it in the vain hope it helps the chances of a Vanquish sequel and I can still say I own every console version of Bayonetta but these are not exactly the reasonings of an excited fan. 

Hopefully it’s -£30

• 2 months later...

I’ve still got a £40 voucher left over for Christmas I was thinking of buying this with, but that will very much depend on DF’s tech breakdown to see if it’s worth it. I’ve played these games to death, own 5 copies of Bayonetta and 2 copies of Vanquish. These remasters are going to have to be amazing for this to be a day 1 for me, and I just don’t think they will be. 

I’m not going to pretend I know how games are made but I really think that just remastering it for 4K60 is kind of weak. It’s not unwelcome, but I’ve played these games so many times before that at this point I need more than that. Even if not full on remakes these games are a decade old, there must be more they can do to make this a great release. 

But the combo pack kind of says it all, I suppose. 

I imagine it improves image quality but it feels like it would be majorly diminishing returns for games which have low texture resolution/details but are impacted very hard by performance.

Anyway this is probably still the best console version of Bayo. Bayo 1 on 360 has screen tear and is pretty rubbish on PS3 and Switch imo due to how the combat just goes in slow motion when framerate drops (fighting any enemy that's on fire with fire gauntlets on switch handheld mode is miserable.)

TL;DW

Previous versions:

- 360: 720p w/ Adaptive AA
- WiiU: 720p w/ V-Sync enabled. Basically the same as 360 w/ slightly more input latency because of V-Sync
- XBO BC version: 720p with improved texture filtering, no performance drops.
- PC version was very well optimized for low end hardware as well (1GB GPUs)
- Switch: Basically the WiiU version (720p with smoother frame rate)

New release:

- Base PS4/XBO: 1080p with improved texture filtering over 360.
- PS4 Pro / XBX: 1440p. DF are surprised neither version goes for native 4K. They think 1440p was chosen to maintain absolute performance consistency.
- The only difference is in the gamma curve. Xbox consoles appear darker.
- No AO featured from PC version though the PC implementation was so subtle it was barely notable.
- Shadows resolution also not refined as the highest PC settings.
- HUD/Fonts use native 4K resolution on Pro/X.

Performance:

- 360 version would drop to 40's in intense battles with a lot of tearing. But most other battles are much better.
- WiiU similar to 360 without tearing and can drop more performance.
- XBO BC version, PC version etc were really solid at maintaining performance.
- New release basically performance is rock solid with maybe 1, 2 skipped frames noticed on Pro in entire capture time.
- Cut-scenes capped at 30 FPS with some minor frame pacing issues on both PlayStation platforms. Xbox consoles don't have frame pacing issues.
- 360 version still feels like it has the fastest controller response because of adaptive V-Sync.
- The PS3 version has always sucked and continues to suck.

- The Vanquish port's video is coming soon.
- Can confirm it targets 60 FPS as the base, not as flawless as Bayonetta but looking very good.

I want to know how the new releases on Xbox holds up against the back compat versions on Xbox. I bought Vanquish on 360 for £3 something a month or so before this was announced. If it is super better than fair enough but if it is regular better then why.