passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 3 Remake ?‍♂️

one-armed dwarf

I can’t really understand the benefit to cutting so much content (apologies if my previous post was spoilerific). I already knew that the multiple choices were gone, as was the brilliant Mercenaries mode. But it seems that removed content has been replaced with... nothing. 

I don’t give a toss about the multiplayer mode included with this. I tried the demo, and found it to be pretty boring. It’s certainly not something I’ll be putting much time into, that’s if I even bother with it at all. 

Certainly not cancelling my pre-order, as I’m sure I’ll still enjoy the campaign. But it does seem they may have been better off delaying the game to add more content to it. Though with 2 doing so well last year, and the end of this generation in sight, they probably went “Fuck it, get it out the door”. 

Maybe not strictly a year but it does look very rushed.

But sometimes short games are great games. I’d take a 5 hour game with no fat over a 10 hour game filled with shit. Going by reviews some people really like this game.

5 hours is a little bit shorter than I would like for a game like this though. I know classic REs could be that length anyway but with modern cutscenes and animation things are a bit different.

Mainly it doesn't sound like it's the same labyrithine puzzle solving adventure game with monsters like RE2 was, more of a linear roller coaster. Tbh RE3 OG was sort of that as well so I can't say I'm disappointed to hear it really.

This is part of why I don't really want them to remake all these old games tho. RE1, 2, 4 and VII are the really good ones. This, CV, 5 etc not so much. imo

Although there are good reviews too. Mainly I'm a bit biased against RE3 in particular due to the original not being my fave so I've sort of lowered expectations right now

How do you know that for a fact? ?

Speedruns of this game are going to be under an hour I think, especially with that dodge mechanic. Some people are going to abuse the shit out of that. 

13 hours ago, Maf said:

Maybe not strictly a year but it does look very rushed.

But sometimes short games are great games. I’d take a 5 hour game with no fat over a 10 hour game filled with shit. Going by reviews some people really like this game.

Maf, c'mon, it wasn't made in a year ?. Development started on this at around the same time at RE2, they were meant to come out together in 1 package but this got delayed because of development issues. Which meant they ended up releasing RE2 on time as its own game and this got put back a year.

Also, Andy Kelly is one of the best reviewers out there @Nag, I thought RE2 was a 7/10 so his kind of score seems possible for this for me. I keep hearing that it's more action orientated which worries me, RE is at its worst when its shooty bang bang and not scarey scare scare.

An 80% average is not mixed @one-armed dwarf ?

I'm just talking about the reviews I've read not the score (which seem fairly mixed).

(I'm not going to have the metascore argument again)

Also I never heard anything about 2 and 3 coming together. From what I remember from the Dusk Golem stuff RE3 was supposed to be built off of RE2's pipelines as that went into development first. So it's a sort of project asynchronous to RE2, but definitely not in development for that length of time

@DisturbedSwan I’m not sure what article you read that states that but I would be highly surprised if that was the case. 

Spoiler

Especially considering a potential considerable amount of this short game is lifted directly from RE2. How could they incorporate that in to the design before it was finished? Unless it went that horribly wrong they went “Uh, we need to borrow that”

I know you’re all saying this took more than a year. But maybe only with pre-production or something. I think the amount of real work, people actually making it and not specing it out, on this thing looks like about 8 months. 

Not that I know anything about game development but just what it looks like.

EDITED BY MAF BECAUSE AFTER THOUGHTS

There's no argument to be had, an 80% average is an excellent score and not 'mixed' in anyway. If it drops to 70-76% or so then it'll become mixed, but as of now, it's not @one-armed dwarf. Only 7 reviews out of 50 for the PS4 version on Metacritic give a score of 7/10 or less. 43 reviews are 7.5/10 and up. That's not mixed.

Also here's a source for what I mentioned previously about RE2/RE3 meaning to be shipped together:

Speaking after yesterday’s State of Play on Kinda Funny Games, Imran Khan – formerly of Game Informer – said that according to people he knows at Capcom, the remakes for Resident Evil 2 and 3 were originally meant to be released together, but that the project started suffering multiple delays- Resident Evil 2 was supposed to be out a whole year earlier, in fact. In order to avoid any more delays, Capcom decided to split the two releases, and also decided to add Resident Evil: Resistance to Resident Evil 3, so they could bette justify it as a separate release.

More from that article for @Maf

“Talking to people who are close to Capcom, from what I understand, [RE3] and Resident Evil 2 were originally a part of one package, but it was too much work,” he said. “The games were getting delayed and Resident Evil 2 was supposed to be released a year earlier than it did. So they split them up. That’s why [RE3’s remake] is coming so quickly.”

“I think this has been worked on for three years,” Khan added. “It was part of that initial package originally, that’s why they’re combining it with Project Resistance, [which was] initially another game that Capcom picked up and put the Resident Evil license on. They were like, ‘well, if we can justify [RE3] coming so soon…’ So they’re putting it together.”

As I've said before, I source whenever I site info like this, the info comes from trusted sources. 

I just don't care about scores, I'm talking about what I am reading about the game itself. Scores don't mean anything to me particularly with lots of outlets just not giving any score at all which isn't accounted for by any magic numbers

To your second point tho I didn't know that, that is interesting. But also maybe explains why this game is so short ?

Just watched that Skill up review. I somehow missed the fact they’d removed the decisions which slightly your route and the alternative endings. That’s a real shame.

I actually like the sound of the Nemesis being tied to certain sections though rather than being a constant threat that can pop up anywhere. While the constant threat sounds better in theory, in RE2 I just found it really frustrating more than scary or interesting after the first couple of times and stopped me replaying it as much as I expected. Instead of being tense and terrifying, it just annoyed the piss out of me when I was just trying to explore the station. So that actually seems better for me.