passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokemon Sword & Shield

Maf

I’ve started to experiment with Max Raids and I absolutely hate them with everything I have. They are either monotonous and easy or impossibly hard. It would probably be better if I could play with real people, but no one ever connects within the 3 minute timer so I have to fight with some severely useless AI trainers. 

Although in fairness most of the bullshit just comes from the enemy AI who can protect them selves from attacks for up to 5 turns and repeat that a turn after those 5 are finished, can cancel any stat buffs on the party but leave their’s alone, do 2 attacks per turn and every now and then for reasons I can’t discern can just decide to not take damage from an attack at all. 

This just makes me have to rank S&S even lower in the Pokemon games. 3 gimmicks: Dynamax, wild area and max raids. All of which are fucking shit. 

This might be the worst Pokemon game or I’m just in the middle of being really mad at it I don’t know. But either way my medico enjoyment is plummeting the more I research how much of this bullshit there is to go through to get the good Pokemon out of it. Fucking hell why was this game so hard to get right? The game would be better if they hadn’t done of anything instead of try new stuff. I’m not saying they shouldn’t try new stuff but just this time it’s made it all so much worse.

I think it's one of the best pokemon games, there are the obvious flaws inherent in the series and it needs more polish but it's also wonderfully fuzzy. Just seeing pokemon running around in a full 3D adventure is everything I dreamed of as a kid

• 1 month later...

Been working away at Shield since Christmas, think I'm about 17.5 hours in and its been quite a mixed experience.

For the first 10 hours or so maybe less I was absolutely loving it. I hadn't played a mainline Pokemon game since X/Y back in the 3DS era (I skipped Sun/Moon believing the Star Switch rumours at the time so waited to no avail) so it is just nice to be back playing one again. Everything's so jolly and its such a lovely place to just exist in and run around with all the happy music playing and pretty scenery. 

I really liked the beginning of the game for the reasons mentioned above and because they'd mixed up the formula a bit. I was fully expecting to dive right in, be given a PokeDex by the local Professor, meet my Rival, meet the Antagonistic 'Team' of the Region and be on my way to the 1st Gym within about an hour or two but it wasn't like that at all. I did meet a Professor and my Rival but meeting the Legendary Pokemon of the region, the Pokemon Champion and not reaching my first gym until I was 5-7 hours in was definitely a nice surprise.

It was just nice to not be funnelled down this now all too familiar path, instead of being rushed into my first Gym battle in the first reasonable sized town I'd come across I was just having fun exploring the routes, catching tons of pokemon and wandering around the Wild Area. There's even the huge city of Motostoke to explore before you eventually come across your first Gym battle in Turffield. 

There seems to be a far bigger emphasis on catching Pokemon (similar to Let's Go I suppose) in this game than the last mainline game I played, and I really like the addition of LGs' ability to see Pokemon in the Long Grass. The Gyms are far different too, I was fully expecting to go through the puzzle-light rigmarole at my first Gym but instead I had to herd Sheep (Wooloo) through some games before I was allowed to battle the Gym leader. It's not a huge departure from what was in the previous games but it's a welcome addition and mixes up the formula.

What I'm not overly keen on is Dynamax though. It just seems exactly like X/Y's Mega Evolutions but a bit more pointless? The Gym leaders always Dynamax at exactly the same time as well so you know to save it until a certain period in the battle to match their Dynamax with your own. I think I've read there's Gigantomaxing in this game too? But I've no idea what that is and what the difference is between that and Dynamaxing. 

I'd say the last 7 hours or so have become a bit of a slog though. The game hasn't been bad or anything but all the changes the game made at the beginning, all the freshness of the opening has kind of worn off and its gone back to that very familiar Pokemon pattern of going down a route catching some Pokemon then going to the next Town where the next Gym Leader is waiting for you. Things like caves feel like they've been dumbed down a bit too, at first I was amazed at home a once humble cave now looked beautiful and shiny in a 3D(ish?) environment but then you realise that its just become another Route now really, I used to love getting lost in the Caves and solving puzzles but all that is mostly gone now and it's just going through a mostly linear Cave. 

I almost threw in the towel after reaching Hammerlocke the other day but managed to muster the motivation to fire it back up and I have been enjoying it again since. So yeah after the positivity from the changes made to the formula at the beginning its now just become another Pokemon game really. Obviously I'm still (probably) quite early into it so things may change significantly from now on but I doubt it. 

Put another few hours into this since my last post and I'm back to enjoying it again.

I loved the whole Fairy area. That Forest was bloody cool! Just filled with mystery and a sense of wonder that has been lacking at times for me so far, all the Pokemon I experienced there mostly new and unseen to me before which obviously helped with the sense of mystery and magic. I thought the town itself of Ballonlea was bloody gorgeous, just so much character and so beautiful.

I think the Gym Battle at Ballonlea has been my favourite thus far as well. Opal is just a charismatic Leader and so likeable, the Gym Mission before hand was a nice twist too compared to the others, I struggled a bit in the actual battle at times because Fairy is a weird one to counter - I taught my Roselia Venoshock as they're weak to poison but then got taken out halfway through the fight - but I managed it eventually. 

My team at the moment is: Drednaw, Munna, Roserade, Pikachu, Thievul and Cinderace, not sure of the levels exactly but they're all around 40.

Finished this earlier, took me 33 hours to finish everything off.

Ended up really enjoying it actually, think I ended up liking it just as much as X/Y years ago really and probably a little more than LG Pikachu/Eevee last year. 

I really haven’t been able to put it down all weekend, I think I put in 8 hours yesterday and another 5 or so today polishing everything off. 

The end of every Pokémon game I’ve played is just such a power trip. You get all the badges, you become Champion and - usually - stop some nefarious organisation from using Pokémon in an abhorrent way and destroying the world so you feel pretty damn amazing as a result. 

This one was quite a bit different in regards to the nefarious ‘Team’

Spoiler

who actually turn out to be no threat at all and are actually likeable rogues who are secret Spikemuff Gym Challengers cheering on the Trainer Marnie

as things don’t go as you think they will whatsoever. It’s a refreshing and nice change but the ‘big bad’ is very easy to spot a mile off very early on in the game, I didn’t expect certain other characters to be bad at the end though. 

Another big change was the way you catch the Legendary Pokémon. Usually the ‘Team’ are using it or trying to harness its power in secret or something and you go down to a their base or Power Plant or something, defeat and catch the Pokémon way before the Pokémon Champion battle. Here though you actually catch it after you’ve become the Pokémon Champion, so can’t rely on using it on your team in the finals and Champ battle. A little change but a nice twist just like the ‘Team’ in this game.

I want to mention the town of Spikemuff too. Just such a fantastic little town with a unique nightlife vibe and the battle itself was a little different than the rest. That and Ballonlea were my two favourite towns/cities in the game.

The actual Pokémon Champion battle I failed the first time mainly down to not knowing his exact lineup and being a little unlucky. But the second time was easy enough and he soon went down. There’s a little too many battles towards the end in quick succession for my liking but this is a minor complaint. 

Spoiler

883DC5AE-F7BD-4A76-A5F7-627781E8D553.jpeg46158F25-411D-438F-AB1B-9A4A9C939EB9.jpeg6F3B654B-0AE6-4E0C-91C4-679A75E2E9F2.jpegCA0F12E6-4BED-4847-9EBF-D01E20DE9A28.jpegA9C47BAE-B99C-49E0-9B93-EC597BCCC40A.jpeg

29288A9A-4A45-4901-9153-5404213EAB56.jpeg0AC3ECC5-045D-4054-B4F6-20C229AB6011.jpegD7C14237-6E2D-4179-9A30-D56E728C5B20.jpeg

• 1 month later...

So I’ve been watching a lot of multiplayer lately and it’s made me want to get back in to this and build my own team. And I was thinking about it for a while and started watching YT guides on the best way of getting competitive Pokemon, and it seems pretty much the same as it always has. Just the way you go about doing those things is a bit different.

What those guides don’t convey is just the absolute glut of bullshit you have to endure along the way of accomplishing these goals.

Honestly, I don’t even know where to start complaining.

So, to breed Competitive Pokemon the first thing you need is a Ditto. Because Ditto can breed with any non legendary Pokemon, and if you get a high IV one it makes it easy to pass down stats and so forth. Pretty regular, been this way since at least gen 5 which is when I got into Pokemon beyond just the collection aspect. 

But! And I think the best way to explain this is from the top down. 

So you need a good Ditto. Ok. So immediately the only way to get one is through Max Raids. Because of fucking course. So how do Max Raids work? Well, you go to these glowing red spots in the wild area and if a beam of light is coming out of it then there’s a Pokemon in there to battle and catch. Ok. Also the ‘intensity’ of the beam of light indicates how good/strong the Pokemon is going to be. Ok. Fair enough.

However, I guess because Game Freak knew how valuable Dittos would be Dittos only appear in the most intense beam of light in one specific spot. On the + side, if you get maximum light beam, it can only be Ditto. Ok. On the - side, there are multiple levels of intensity to the beam of light which is randomised, and Ditto will never appear unless it’s maximum intensity, and even then, you are not guaranteed to get a good Ditto. Ok. 

So at this point all we’re saying is you just need to keep doing these essentially random encounters over and over until you get what you want. But wait, we’re not even close to done. Because the beams of light only spawn once a day in real time based on the Switch clock. Because of fucking course. However, there are things you can do. Firstly and most normally is you can go to vendors that will sell you “Wishing pieces”,  and what these do is reactivate a specific spot to spawn a Pokemon. So that’s not so bad. Buy Wishing Pieces, reactivate the spot, get another chance at a Ditto. Maybe.

But! These Wishing Pieces cost 3000 watts per piece. And what are Watts? Watts is a currency that is exclusively used in the Wild Area which you can get by ‘checking out’ dens and doing bike races. Sigh. So, to get a chance at a Ditto, I have to comb through the Wild Area, visit every spot, get 200 watts per den I check out, and I can do Bike races, which are boring as shit and the highest paying Bike race at 400 Watts takes about 5 minutes a go. 

Or, you can fuck around with the Switch Clock, which I haven’t tried yet, so no opinion but I don’t really want to have to do that because I just want to play the game. 

So already, to even have a go at getting a Ditto, and Ditto is step one in a very laborious process, that is all this shit just getting in the way. But once you’ve got all the watts, to get the wishing pieces, to activate a den, then you actually have to get one. And this leads into Nintendo’s abysmal, ABYSMAL, online. So Max Raids is a multiplayer Pokemon Battle where up to 4 people team up to fight a Pokemon. So when a beam of light is at a den, it pops up a lobby and you wait for players to join. But players will never join, because the game doesn’t automatically connect to the internet, and it doesn’t tell you you’re not online. And to get online it took me looking up a separate YT video just for that. 

This is a two way street. Once online you can get people to connect to your game and help you out, or you can search for ongoing raids and try to join those. Right off the bat I’ll just say after at least a dozen attempts I never managed to join anybody else’s game. Because one the Pokemon people were catching weren’t Dittos but I thought I would try to join anyway just to see how it works, but every time I click on one it pops up an error message basically saying that lobby is full. I’m guessing because there are thousands of people playing this all the time and everyone is clicking on everything so good luck. The game doesn’t just automatically match make people, and immediately remove closed invites, they just stay there until the game lets you refresh the list which of course, once you finally get a new list all the game are already taken again. So this part is seemingly pointless. 

Also, because I couldn’t try it, I don’t know if when you join someone else’s game and they catch a Pokemon if you get the Pokemon as well. You would hope so but it’s Nintendo so who the fuck knows.

So then it’s just up to finding a Ditto yourself. Here is where some positivity comes back in to this post. Out of a dozen or so attempts I did actually find and catch 2 Dittos. But both of them are only 3 IV’s so, they’re not terrible, but really you want at least 4, a 5 would be perfect. And added bonus, despite never, ever getting anyone to join my games, as soon as the invite goes out that I’m catching a Ditto - Boom, boom, boom lobby fills up immediately lol. Glad I’m not alone in this garbage.

And then, also, I just want to point out that you actually have to catch the Pokemon as well. And these battles are horse shit and fixed as fuck. See below a video I took of me about to wipe out a Pokemon with a move that, when the last time I used it did about 40% damage, and I’m about to use it before the Pokemon puts it’s ‘special armour’ up, but because the game doesn’t want this to end to quickly, it nullifies my attack and gives the enemy Pokemon it’s armour afterwards just so we have to hit it 5 more times for no reason other than it’s fixed. 

Yuck. It’s one of the most overtly gross bit of broken game design I can remember seeing. Where the game clearly has it’s own objective, and throws away it’s own rules to enable it. Like why not just take the damage? This is kind of the least annoying thing about this whole ordeal in trying to get a Ditto, but it’s also when the game’s middle finger is most in your face. 

And this is step 1! Then you actually have to get the Pokemon you want, with the right abilities, with the right moves, with the right stats, then you need to EV train, then level them up, then level up their Dynamax level and after about 3 hours of this and starting to look at YT videos about grinding Watts and does Pokemon Home make this easier I just said no. Do you know what? I don’t have the life to waste and throw at this dumb fucking shit. It’s just RNG, on top of padding, on top of RNG on top of padding. This game is gross. 

It makes me think about how people moan about micro transactions but even games I’ve played that have them I don’t think have as much bullshit game design as this does.

This is why these are the last nails in the coffin that make Sword and Shield the worst mainline Pokemon game of all time. Apart from the fact the single player is garbage, apart from the fact there is so much missing content, apart from the fact that this game is centralised around a dumb gimmick, apart from the fact that the map is hyper lazy, apart from the fact that game doesn’t look good enough, apart from the fact that the online is just a mess and finish it off when you actually try to enjoy the game it just throws all these barriers up and tries to trip, stop and waste your time as much as it can at every, littlest step.

Whatever happened to just catching and battling Pokemon? 

Sword and Shield is the worst.

• 5 months later...

I don't know if anyone is still playing this, but there's a free Shiny Amoonguss if you go to the mystery gift option and input the code TRA1NERSCUP

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-free-shiny-amoonguss-for-pokemon-swordshield-mystery-gift-3521757

From what I've read some of its stats are maxed out a couple of them (speed and possibly attack if I've read it right) are 0, which seems to make it useless. It's level 50

Anyway, I started Sword this weekend. I can't really tell if I've overlevelled too much, I'm at the first gym, tried having a mix of types, but I don't know what the type for it is. I ran around the filed area quite a bit, got in to a few dynamax fights, so have some powerful pokemon (lv 17+) that I don't really want to use yet.  I'm still early obviously, it seems a bit easy so far, but I thought the last couple have been easier than the first ones I played, that doesn't have to be a problem, the only issue is the on ramp is always very similar in Pokemon games

Amoongus with 0 attack and speed is actually what you want. The Pokemon is pure defence so you would really want to concentrate on HP and a defence stat depending on team composition. I don’t know what Amoongus is running these days. It used to be very physically defensive. It also usually attacks with Spore/Smog/Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb. All of which are special attacks so not affected by the 0 attack stat. 

It’s not a very good in game Pokemon but more for multiplayer. 

You want to see if it’s got the ability Regenerator It’s one of the best abilities in the game. Every time it switches out it gets a 1/3rd if it’s health back. 

Lil’ bastard thing it is it just don’t fucking die

I'm doing my civic duty and sending some Sword only pokemon out via surprise trade, including Farfetched and Swirlix. 

So on that note, if anyone is still playing and wants some Sword exclusive pokemon let me know. If I can get them I'll do my best 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting to the end of this now. I'm not an expert on the deeper levels of of Pokemon play but I can definitely see why those that are had issues with Sword and Shield. The smaller roster means fewer options. There's a couple of positions in my #SQUAD that I feel like I'm making so with rather than having a strong pokemon like I previously would have done. 

My grass type for example, what I've got isn't terrible but I'd usually have a tank as a grass type and she isn't that. The only good fire type I have is the starter I picked up. It took me ages to get a good electric type, what I had were fast but limited defence, which is fine, but I wasn't exactly tripping over alternatives 

The areas between gyms feel shorter and more skipable than in previous games. The caves would always feel like a bit of a grind, here not so much, which isn't a bad thing necessarily but I think has an affect on the structure. I've always felt like if I'm not 1-hitting enemies in pokemon I'm having to heal or swap out every fight. It's the same here, but it feels like more gap in difficulty between the wild and the gyms, which are very easy for the most part. Only this time it feels like you could just skip some of the wild bits rather than spend time there and still beat the next gym 

The story feels really inconsequential this time too. I know, it's a pokemon game, but usually you have a distinct enemy that you keep encountering, here it feels like other people are the main characters and you don't really exist in the world other than to eventually save the day, honestly it feels like your friend hasn't realised you're an emotionless monster that doesn't care about him at all. The story is coming, but it's back loaded, and again, everyone else is more involved in it than you 

It feels very rushed but to Game Freak's credit I have to say it seems like they evenly distributed their limited resources so that everything in the game feels a bit more limited than it should instead of one particular thing feeling incomplete. Hard to say what's the better approach here but I think we can all agree that the Pokémon Company needs to give these guys either more time or more people to work on these games in the future. It's one of the biggest IPs in the world and they pump these out with 150 people in two years. It's ridiculous.

I never felt limited by the roster of Pokémon though. It was refreshing to have so little Water types for a change and a more evenly distributed lineup. I managed to get a very versatile team (for the story at least) in the end and five of those were newcomers from S/S. The dude on the right behind the logo is Corviknight:

ELBPafNU4AAri2_?format=jpg&name=large

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Listen, I done be talking a lot of smack about this game and when I was saying it you couldn’t of paid me to say anything different

But I’m currently 6 hours in to Pokemon Sword and I am IN LOVE with this game. I don’t know if it’s the hyper depression, or I’m just really back in to Pokemon again, or it’s the realising the music here sounds like DQ music and it’s calming or all of the above but damn this game’s fucking great 

Beat the first 3 gym leaders

FRn3WLoVEAAMjRg?format=jpg&name=large

At 7pm I said I would put the game down. At 8pm I said I would put the game down. At 9pm I said I would put the game down. It’s now 10:45 and the battery died. Thank god, get me to stop playing.

I said to myself I will not catch every Pokemon I see, start trying to train more than 6 of them at a time, and I won’t do any grinding. Just play through the game normal. But it’s taken me 12 hours to do the first 3 gyms so none of that happened. 

One of the things that is making me like playing it this time is I’m not restricting myself to the new Pokemon. Whenever I play through a new gen I always use the new Pokemon that come with it. But the problem with SS is I really don’t like most of the new Pokemon in the game. Some of them are cool, but a lot of them are not.

So I said fuck it and decided to use Pokemon I think actually like with only making predictable and old boring choices off limits. I’m enjoying the game way more now I’m using Pokemon I like.

A complaint I usually have about any newer Pokemon game is when they redesign and creat new variants of old Pokemon. It’s hard to find any new redesign I think is better. Sometimes they’re as good. But in SS they have a Galarian Meowth and I think it’s actually way better than the original. Granted I always thought Meowth and Persian were super boring Pokemon but the one is cool

maxresdefault.jpg

I started playing it yesterday and fell in love with it. I’ve played it all night tonight and cooled on it a little. But so far this game has shot way up in my estimation. I actually like the characters in this game which is really rare to say about Pokemon. I really like how much small touches there in the cutscenes and stuff. Maybe this is just coming off the back of Arceus but I love the way this game looks. This game is so much fun to look at.

You have to give it 10 seconds but this tracks a banger

I’m even looking at buying the £25 DLC. Maybe if I still like it this much by the end of the game I’ll get it

Pokemon Photo Diary 

Gym win 4 & 5.

The fighting gym leader, I think her name is Bea, is the coolest gym leader they've had in these games for a very long time. Shame she has nothing to do in the game. She pops up, looks cool, beat her, done. 

After that I got to Balleriatown which is also one of the coolest places there has been in a Pokemon game. I remembered it from first time I played. But still striking to see again.

Also found one of the funniest Pokedex descriptions I've seen in a while 

Yesterday I said they managed to make a much cooler Meowth, today I saw the new Farfetch'd and they made that cooler than the original as well. 

Spoiler

FRs1LwqVIAEslFs?format=jpg&name=small

FRs1LwtUcAAdH66?format=jpg&name=small

FRs034eVsAAP01L?format=jpg&name=small

FRs034PUcAEXCHE?format=jpg&name=small

FRs034jVcAAivfI?format=jpg&name=small

FRs033_VkAAj6Y0?format=jpg&name=small

FRs1LwbVgAElahh?format=jpg&name=small

My current team.

A soccer star rabbit

A chivalrous duck

A dragon in an apple

An electric spider

A Viking cat

And a possessed teapot 

Spoiler

FRs1TNkVkAAASJr?format=jpg&name=small

FRs1TNRVEAAgnXE?format=jpg&name=small

FRs1TNqVUAA9APb?format=jpg&name=small

FRs1TNdUUAA5j_R?format=jpg&name=small

FRs1ZHuVIAArOFD?format=jpg&name=900x900

FRs1ZHnVUAAMZNE?format=jpg&name=900x900

This game's pretty good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pokemon photo diary 2.

I remember people saying this game didn't look that good and the developers were lazy importing assets and animations from Pokemon Lets Go. Maybe that's true but sometimes this game looks really good. I think it is a really good looking game, but it really depends on the framing to shine 

FSbYcFVVIAERFW7?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYcFNVIAAcAot?format=jpg&name=small

Going straight to the top! Trying to win every big boss fight with a different Pokemon

Spoiler

FSbYcE6UYAAxmT4?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYNrjVkAEh4-I?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYNr3VIAE_8af?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYGDIVEAEI0y1?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYGDNVgAI2_PG?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYGDRVgAALobo?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYGDKVUAAbfyf?format=jpg&name=small

FSbYNr8VkAAEdzv?format=jpg&name=small

I was trying to make a cool Pokemon team. Then I remembered I could just download all my other Pokemon from the Pokemon Home App. Made things much easier! 

Finished this today.

FSyij6tVUAYL6UB?format=jpg&name=900x900

Loved the game this time. Have to finish up some post game and catch the legendary and then maybe I'll buy the DLC. Not sure. 

It's hard to say why I liked this so much more than the first time I played it. I still think Dynamaxing is dumb and never did it once in the game - although I'll admit visually it makes for some cool boss battles. 

The world map is still extremely small and straight forward with not that much interesting to explore - except I didn't realise just how many different Pokemon they pack in to each route. That made the searching for Pokemon really fun. I changed up my play style on this playthrough treating it more like Acreus and caught everything I saw. So embracing the collecting aspect and how many cool and new Pokemon there were to collect at every turn improved the exploring.

Usually I dislike the superhero story they have in Pokemon games, this one is dumb as well. But I think because the characters in this game are fun and likeable + the world ending stuff not taking up too much of the game I kind of enjoyed it. In fact, add on again a couple of some amazing cutscenes and set pieces this game has. I really enjoyed this side of the game that I usually don't like. It's weirdly relatable too as in it's about environment sustainability and a well meaning, but ultimately mad, futurist tycoon. I wouldn't say it's ripped from the headlines or has meaningful commentary on today but you can see it a little bit. 

I liked it before, but the football stadium and crowd aspect I loved this time. The stadiums, the music, the vibe, the cheers. Pokemon in essence has always been the story of a sports legend and all this stuff really brings that to life. I hope they find more ways of bringing this element back in the future. 

Mentioned it just now but some of the music in this game is brilliant. 

I dunno. I'm not taking back any smack I talked about the game before, the problems are still there. But I think approaching it with a different playstyle, the negatives didn't get in my way as much, and the positives hitting a lot harder.  I can't lie to you. This game was amazing. 

FSyiWGtVsAAnBiq?format=jpg&name=large