passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mandalorian

Sambob

Wtf, I go away for ten minutes and everyone sleeps on the Star Wars hype?

I am absolutely LOVING this series, and I dont even care about anything wrong with it. 

It feels like its something for the hardcore Star Wars fan, as the feedback from people ive spoken to that love Star Wars love this. From my point of view, as a Star Wars fan, its absolutely hitting the spot. Its filled the Star Wars void in a way none of the films have done since the Original Trilogy, and im stupidly happy that it exists in the format that it does. 

I kept meaning to write my thoughts down in the SW thread but forgot.

But yeah, it is extraordinarily good so far.

The first episode was great but that bit at the end with the Droid and finding the ‘package’ was amazing. The moment when you see the packages face I was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT. 

The second episode was fantastic too. The moment with the Rhino thing was crazy. Loved them going into depth with the

Spoiler

Jawas

too and finding more out about what they’re all about.

The Mandalorian is a really interesting show. I think the webisode criticism comes from the fact that the episodes are only 30 mins long effectively, however not a second of that 30 minutes is wasted. Everything feels like it is either moving the story forward or building out the characters without buckets of exposition poured all over it. From a story telling aspect it reminds me a bit of Raiders of the Lost Arc. I think it might be excellent but they need to sustain what they have started. 

Another episode down, and am more in love with the series. The bit where the mandalorian is contemplating a decision in the last episode was so fantastically done. 

One of my favourite things of recent times. 

Also, somebody needs to use the theme song as a rap sample because its awesome. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve watched the first season/series this week, really enjoyed it, the Child is a great character in this and so funny at times. I’m not really that knowledgeable about the Star Wars background I’ve watched the films but that’s as far as it goes. Looking forward to the next season, not long to go. I would say while the episodes are short they do at times seem a tad slow..

• 2 months later...

Season 2 is awesome, the last episode....wow!! I’m overjoyed but also gutted I wanted the ending to be different.

Its funny it’s pretty much wrapped up, although I know there’s a 3rd season but I just don’t know, don’t want to spoil it but it’s spectacular and sad at the same time, need to watch it again.

@Manicm
did you see the post credit scene. I think that'll form a big thrust of season 3.

I thought season 2 started a little slow, but the back half of the season is genuinely some of the best Star Wars ever, and comes to an excellent climax with the final episode. Dave Fillioni and Jon Favreau have such a good grip on the universe, Favreau from a film making perspective, and Fillioni because he is just a massive Star Wars nerd who seems determined to fix it for everyone. It's great. Each episode is so well crafted, the run time is so short, but nothing is wasted, it really is amazing. I've not been particularly enthusiastic about Star Wars for a number of years now, it was rekindled somewhat when Force Awakens came out, but that was squandered by Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker. Now, I think I'm more interested in where they are taking Star Wars than I am the Marvel universe, it just seems more exciting at the moment. I hope they can sustain this, and the people behind the scenes have learnt lessons from the most recent trilogy. Final Episode spoilers

Spoiler

So, the Luke thing is pretty fucking cool and they handled it really well. Good job they gave the caveat that the Dark Troopers are completely driods, otherwise that could have been awkward.

However (and this doesn't bother me, but also it does) but what made Mandalorian so good was it's detachment from the other films for the most part. By bringing Luke into it, we're now back in Skywalker territory again and it being the smallest galaxy ever. I'm not that bothered by it because it was cool, but I'm slightly cautious about where they take it next.

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched the first Season now as well. I really liked it, it's very pleasing to look at and it finds the right balance between downtime and action and even goes as far as to adapt every individual episode's runtime for that. I have to say I'm a bit surprised it turned out to be a big hit though. There's not a lot of mainstream Star Wars in there, you can't see the protagonist's face, some shots are really slow-paced and without dialogue etc.. I'm glad it caught on though, would have been a shame if they would have had to cancel this early.

I also really liked the music and how they showed concept art for the episode during the credits. Just feels like a love letter all around, even with some more or less subtle nods to the animated TV shows (like that one droid we first saw in Clone Wars or a certain sword at the end).

I think there's only one thing I didn't like and that's at the end when they 

Spoiler

showed his face. Felt a bit unnecessary and I think a shot from the back so that it's obvious he took the helmet off but without the audience seeing him would have been a better choice.

I'm now going to watch the two remaining Seasons of Rebels so I'm up to speed about everything that could be referenced in S2 and then I hop into that one. Too bad the stupid youtube algorythms already spoiled some stuff because I watched a SW clip on there once or twice in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

I've caught up with the second season. Despite youtube spoiling me pretty much every character that's appearing, the when and where still managed to surprise me. And even though I really enjoyed the Season and feel like it's better overall than Season 1 (though I didn't like the spider episode) I have mixed feelings about the overall direction of it. I've read the previous comments and I agree that it might feel more like Star Wars, but that also brings with it the risk of losing focus of its main character.

Spoiler

In fact, I'd say that Ahsoka, Fett and Luke are all more interesting characters than Mando right now. Maybe that's because their episodes are wrapped around them to make them shine or maybe it's because that we've already hit the limit of what Mando has to offer with his strict creed-guided rules slowly fading as he develops a closer relationship with Grogu. It's hard to say.

On the other hand I have no problems admitting I'm a hypocrite because those three guest characters had some really excellent episodes/scenes, which I presume are setting up their own shows - Ahsoka looking for Thrawn (maybe that'll be a follow-up to Rebels in some way?) and Fett overthrowing the what-used-to-be Jabba's headquarters to become its new leader. 

I'm also a bit surprised they're doing a third season to be honest. For all intents and purposes, the story arc that began in Episode 1 has now concluded. Whatever comes next will bear with it the risk of feeling detached because it might no longer focus on the thing that gives the show its name.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, said same in the Disney + thread. Not bothered about SW at all but really liked this. Apart from the final scene with the worst CGI ever.

Disappointed to hear they’re doing a Season 3 though. I think it ended really well, it was complete. No need for another. 

• 2 weeks later...