passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Half-Life: Alyx

DisturbedSwan

25 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Loved the two episodes too although Ep. 1 was perhaps the worst of the bunch. 

In retrospect it's easy to see why they canned Episode 3. The episodes were mostly alright but unremarkable really.

39 minutes ago, Maf said:

Hmm. I wouldn’t say Half Life 1 was set piece after set piece, although there are a few of them. I would say it was more of a naturally structured FPS than what came before. Like it got away from level based and objective based stuff and it done well at largely getting you to know where you had to go. It wasn’t always story driven. There’s a lot of HL1 where you are just playing the game and then boom Helicopter comes out of nowhere. Although again kind of like Half Life 2 the level design in that game is odd. Sometimes the thing you have to do feels a bit jank and like something you shouldn’t have to do but actually it ends up being the answer. 

For me the problem with the Half-Life series is as much as I respect the design ideas of those games playing them is just not much fun. They don’t handle like good shooters and large swathes of both games are kind of bad. I didn’t even finish HL1 because as soon as I got to the Alien world and the spider boss I had more than enough

yeah that sounds more correct. I came to HL1 fairly late so kind of had to backtrack my mind a bit to imagine what it was like in 1998. 

Although I did play the demo of Half Life close to its release and that whole resonance cascade thing was very cool and frightening at the time.

Either way it was innovative. They've always seemed like such forward looking games that are thrown together in a hurry, with stretches of gameplay that aren't always good like Zen and the highway section of HL2, or that bit with the monsters that come out of sand (although platforming across a beach with sheets of metal was cool even if it was stupid and janky). Kind of always felt like they threw as many ideas at the wall and maybe 70% of them would stick.

Like the point about the shooting not being good is something I've thought before too. The games feel more interested in leveraging and promoting different tech and ideas rather than strong moments of gameplay. Some of the stuff hits the mark, like gravity guns. But some doesn't (like hovercrafts)

I want to say that the beta for HL2 that leaked in 03 is full of shit that got thrown out before release.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

So against all odds a new Half Life is out next week. I nearly forgot only that now I have a pc that could run it. But VR is too inconvenient still.

Anyone getting this?

I'd like what you're smoking. I wish it was out next week!

Not out until March.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that looks pretty good. I'm not sure I'll ever get to play it, but it has made me want a new Half-Life. This will sound stupid, but the thing that most impressed me was how everything emptied out of the bucket in the first video. It didn't seem as brittle and glitchy as your average VR game

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some gameplay online (?) including the ending, it's an extremely impressive bit of tech and I'm sad I can't play it. Looks like a real step forward for VR as a medium.

Spoiler

Don't really like where they go with the story though. 13 years for a retcon would piss me off, if I still cared deeply about Half Life's story