passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

DisturbedSwan

The game's opening and ending are absolutely phenomenal but there's a lot of downtime in between during which its many shortcomings on the gameplay side become extremely apparent. I don't want to poop on your euphoria but it's probably for the better if you already know that it will not keep up this level of quality for the entirety of the campaign.

I'm looking forward to some of your impressions though, particularly coming from a non-fan of the property. Because I'm not sure I would have been able to get through Dathomir without knowing and enjoying the lore tied to that place. 

2 hours ago, Nag said:

I started it just after getting my Series X

How did it perform on the SX? Seems i was a bit premature in declaring changing the graphic settings fixed it. Definitely a lot better but it does chug a bit. The load times when you die are a real pain too. 

I’m on the 2nd planet now - Zeffo I think? I didn’t realise how much emphasis there was on exploration in this game. It’s great. I’m really enjoying traversing the environment while slicing bugs in half. Really shit how they’re not allowed to show you doing same to stormtroopers though. Proper pulls you out of the experience when a fucking laser sword just creates a scratch on enemies rather than slicing them to pieces. 

Criticsms notes, will temper excitement for the rest of the game and anything matching the opening set piece stuff, but so far, loving it. 

Still ploughing on with this and still loving it. Although it’s made me repeat sections of 2 planets now which is a bit disappointing. It’s good at opening up shortcuts but none seem to quickly lead to the new areas I need to access to when retuning which is a bit shit. 

To answer my earlier question regarding SX performance. It’s much improved. Thankfully. It looks loads sharper and the frame rate is rock solid now, it runs much faster and feels more responsive. Some areas were really starting to struggle on the One X so this is great. Not died recently so can’t say anything regarding load tiles yet. 

Completed. Absolutely loved it, brilliant game. I really liked the level design and some of the environments looked beautiful. Just felt great to play too, traversal, platforming and combat may not be best in class but definitely way above average. 

Some of the set pieces were fantastic too. Not many but the ones which are there were well timed and very well done. The ending one was particularly fantastic, just wish that set piece lasted just a bit longer as it was quite short. 

Spoiler

They did a fantastic job of making Darth Vadar seem like some impossibly over powered, cool bad motherfucker. I’ve personally always thought he looked a bit daft in the films but the way he swats Jedi about like flys in this and destroys the scenery around you was just fucking cool. 

Only negative really is the backtracking. Was just a bit disappointing how it makes you return to the same couple of planets. I’d have obviously just preferred more planets but they could have even just streamlined it a bit more and not make you return to them during the main story. It would have still been a long enough game and better for it IMO. Just make all the extra power areas optional for the unlocks. I’d have been more willing to 100% it then too. Or just have some kind of fast travel system. 
Technically it had a few issues too

on the One X. Frame rate could stutter quite a bit in some areas and some cut scenes kept pausing for a half a second or so (I imagine loading in background). 
However got my SX about 3/4 of the way through and it solved all these issues so if you’ve got a new console it’s all good at least. 

I also think Disney should stop being pussies and allow it to be a 18 rated game too. It would be so much more satisfying if you could lop limbs off.

Brilliant game though overall though. Recommended even if you’re not a Star Wars fan, I’m not and loved it. 

34 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Only negative really is the backtracking.

Yeah, that's the thing and kind of surprising why you said you liked the level design in your first paragraph. I think this is where the game miserably fails in its approach to incorporate some Metroid elements into its progression system. It's a royal pain in the ass to go through these levels after the initial romp. They work incredibly well as linear set pieces but they completely fall apart as explorable spaces. Between this and the fact that 2/3rds of the boxes only contained ugly ponchos I feel like they didn't quite get there for the Metroid portion of its design. Combat was okay (Souls) and traversal was okay (PoP) – though both could have used more polish – both they need to figure out a way to make backtracking fun for the inevitable sequel.

It's cool that you liked it as a non-fan though. As I said earlier, the brand and lore themselves pulled me through it at times because there have been a couple of moments that I didn't enjoy at all on a gameplay level. But the Star Wars stuff was really well done, moreso than in the recent movies. From their depiction of Order 66 to Dathomir and the subtle nods towards the Clone Wars and of course that absolutely phenomenal moment right at the end from your spoiler. They really did the most with a time period that must have felt like a corset at times since they didn't have the possibilities to really alter anything in a major way.

Yea maybe putting level design in the general sense is the incorrect way of putting what I liked about it. Basically during actual progression I really enjoyed going through the levels and exploring the side paths and little puzzle rooms. & during this kind of gameplay it regularly unlocks shortcuts which are really useful. But it falls a apart when returning to your ship or have to return to previously explored planets to progress further as it doesn’t give you quick and smart ways of reaching the parts of the level you want to access. Damn shame. & yea the chests were usually bullshit unlock able colours - but I enjoyed the process of reaching them usually. 

I started this last night and I gotta say I've been impressed with it so far too.  I've just got the force push power after doing some Tomb Raiding.  I wasn't expecting the game to go as heavy in that direction as it does and that was a pleasant surprise.  I guess Souls-like games have intertwining maps but I get more of a Metroid vibe from this than those.  Maybe it's just areas locked off that are opened with abilities, I'm not sure.

But I still feel pretty bad at the combat.  It's not as tight as I'd like usually but still enjoyable.  I just wish you could cancel out of the attacks more but that's just these kinds of games, what you gonna do?  It isn't really the Imperials that give me trouble it's just the damn wildlife.  Spent lots of the planet I'm on getting rekt by goats.

It's definitely missing a layer of polish that you usually get from EA games but overall I'm pretty impressed with Fallen Order.

On 30/12/2020 at 16:08, HandsomeDead said:

it's just the damn wildlife.  Spent lots of the planet I'm on getting rekt by goats.

I had this. Just give it a bit of time and when you get used to it you’ll find previously difficult enemies a push over. It is a very deliberate style of combat though, you can’t just mash. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished it.  I didn't realise I was so near the end but in hindsight it was obvious, I dunno why I thought it would have kept going.  Maybe been playing too many unfinishable games lately.  But I'm disappointed because I had to lower the difficulty on the last boss.  For some reason I had it set to Jedi Master, one notch up from the default setting and it was feeling pretty good for me there but I was failing to even take away more than half of this bosses health.  I just couldn't find a way to do good damage.

Of course I beat them first time the moment I switched it to default difficulty.

This isn't really a brag, I just think the boss is that much bullshit.  It has such a difficulty ramp.

It's just that they are really transparent with what they show you about the difficulty when you pick it.  Enemy aggression, parry timing and some other things so despite being shite at Souls games I looked at these stats and thought I could do the harder mode.  Well, I could until the last boss.  I just scraped through the previous major boss (sorry, I'm being vague but hopefully those that have played it know) but the last is definitely, considerably tougher.

Spoiler

But I was disappointed in the story at the end.  They made these cool, original characters that totally fit and broadened the universe but then Darth Vader came out of nowhere, for no reason, that didn't add anything thematically, just popped up like an awkward celebrity cameo.  I think I was meant to clap.

I think I was confused since, like I said, I wasn't expecting the game to end so for a moment I thought there'd be a reason for him showing up, like a the game would continue and give reasons to why he's there.  But there isn't.

I guess it is for setting up for a sequel.  Maybe they'll develop a satisfying antagonistic relationship within that game.  But for now it did just end up making me groan.