passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Death Stranding

DisturbedSwan

Spoiler

One recommendation I'd make is to try and maximise the range (300 for un-upgraded) to minime the amount of zip lines needed to build a network

The other thing is to try and have one or two at very high elevation to 'bridge' them together. Or to have other players build a network onto yours.

I'm trying to build one through the mountains cause I figure it's going to be rough otherwise. Stuff like that is pretty linear and obvious, of course the zipline exists to mitigate trudging through snow. But I like how the game still makes me feel like I'm being innovative anyway

Yeah, as soon as they were introduced I knew they are going to be key. Especially when I had a few orders and the items were on either side of the river. That’s how I knew to build one earlier because that was the plan to then make it to the other side and then have easy trek back.

I’m going to try upgrade the centre and maybe they’ll give me even better ones that go further than 300m

What do you think of my “Punch them in the face until they die” fighting style. I’m black belt karaoke 

6 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The @thing breaks text entry on mobile. It's too tedious to do correctly tbh.

I'm excited to hear what you think about later chapters. I started off on a bad foot with chapter 3 but once I got a bit more involved it gets very deep and Kojima-esque with all the systems. 

Honestly as soon as ch 2 starts to feel just a little bit rote I'd recommend progressing imo. 

Everyone else can do it on mobile without issue ?

Yeah I'm excited to get to later chapters! Haha. I wanna make some serious progress on this at the weekend. I'm gonna do some side orders but, yeah, not all of them whilst in Episode 2.

Tbh at this rate I'm thinking of installing Android dev tools on my laptop this weekend and debugging what the issue is ?

Then when I do I'm @ every single one of you muthafuckers at strange hours so you get annoying notifications that wake you up. ?

Anyway, if this game keeps being this good it will pip DMC5 as my game of the year. I strongly suspect it might turn bad in the final hurdle as Kojima games can tend to. But this is like a kind of BOTW feeling with this game. Not on the same level as it's obviously more limited but it's about something I've never seen in a game. Just being a delivery man guy, @OCH would love it (I'm not on mobile that's how that worked now)

chapter 5

Spoiler

The ziplines are weird, cause based off speculation I've seen the way this game pulls in stuff is it takes a smattering of utilities from other players you might have bumped into (players you liked a lot, players who liked you)

But the ziplines are an interdependent network. One player could have a completed network in their 'instance' where they install a few zipline 'nodes' to latch onto other player's nodes. But then your game just pulls in that player's nodes and not all the other ones. An incomplete fragment of a network which you yourself have to build up again

I don't necessarily mind this because the very start of Ch 3 annoyed me a bit with how quickly other players seemed to build the highway (strangely highway development has almost completely ceased now, it's just me and some other guy I think). But it shows the weakness of this system a bit.

Anyway I didn't have chiral network coverage in that area so I had to surf most of it (3:00), then walk like a loser

There's got to be a utility which just shows terrain 'dots' all the time. The first time I tried going down that hill well things didn't go so good..

22 hours ago, Maf said:

When you do side missions you have more ways to use what is given to you, but then all the other players have already built stuff so you don’t have to do it or once you’ve figured out a straight line back and forth centres by bike why would you ever even try to think of finding another way to go?

Because it's more fun

Maf's point about prebuilt stuff is valid though. The fun is in optimising traversal yourself or augmenting other people's creations/recognising them with 'likes'. But sometimes in Ch3 onwards in particular I think the game pulls in too many user creations and avoiding using that stuff isn't fun.

It can kind of be like what if everyone had free, infinite summons for Ornstein and Smough. Rather than spending some time slogging through that fight to learn it. 

I don't know if this game is better if you play it immediately and try and stay ahead of the pack, so you're the trailblazer. Or wait a bit until stuff starts to rot away due to timefall. 

I wonder how all this backend works. imo it should be like the more you contribute and get recognised the more that appears to you. It should be more than just logging into the chiral network.

Also it can be hard to do better than most people have already done in most cases. I saw one bridge that had 139,000+ likes. And it got that for a reason, because it was super useful and in the perfect place. And because of the places I was trying to get to at the time there was absolutely no reason to not take the bridge. 

Also 

Spoiler

Mama’s whole plot thread was the worst. I really didn’t understand certain aspects of it.

Spoiler

I think what happened was she was having the baby for her sister, but then the building fell on her and she died. But because her baby turned into a BT it was...it was already dead so...it was a bridge between her soul in the dead world and body in the real world...and then when the cord was cut...she was on a timer? I think. 

I’m still not really sure why her sister hated her though because she had a building fall on her. It’s not exactly her fault. 

Everything to do with those characters was dumb. How they were one in the womb, they were conjoined twins, could feel each other’s feelings, they couldn’t have a baby unless they worked together. It’s like Kojima through every weird twin sci-fi sister idea he could think off at the wall and for me none of it stuck. It was just so weird and I couldn’t feel for Mama at all.

Not to keep going on but I think one of the problems I’m having with the story is the characters are all the same. All of them have the same tone, same deliveries, same way of speaking. It’s almost as if the actors had real trouble understanding the lines they were saying, or Kojima just gave everyone the exact same direction. 

Think it blows my theory out of the water though that Sam and Amelie are brother and sister because it’s basically the same idea as what just happened with Mama. Now I’m thinking Amelie is Sam’s mother from the past and she is trying to guide him to fix the world in the future

Also did you solve that dog boss fight in 20 seconds as well? I just turned around and ran back to South Knot City and it just vanished. Seemed very anticlimactic for the build up Higs gave it

I got up to chapter 7 and managed to beat a boss on my second try which was good. The more the game is letting me do what I want the more I am enjoying it. I’ve put 

Spoiler

Zip lines

all over these mountains and now they are my bitch. There is literally 5 different depots/centres I can get to all in about 2 minutes from each other because I just zoom over. I’m actually thinking of just connecting right over the mountains in to the previous area so I can just do all kinds of speedy travel. 

What I didn’t like about the early game is, y’know like in BotW a lot of the genius comes from how the designers have clearly anticipated what the player will want to do and try to do to really extensive degrees, but then they hide themselves and make you feel like you’re smart and you’re manipulating the game world on your own. But in the beginning of this game it’s similar where I tried to beat the game at it’s own game and the designers anticipated it, and then managed to go a step further and make sure my ideas wouldn’t work and I had to play to their rules. 

The chapter after has the other problem where all the players have already laid down most of the stuff you’re ever going to need so now I don’t need to manipulate the world because it’s already done, at least largely. You can put small things here and there to suit what you need in the immediate moment but not anything that feels meaningful and substantial. 

But now in this latest area I’m using a lot of tools to bend this game to my will instead of having to bow to it’s. Which is so much better because now there is like this negotiation with the player and the game that, I will fight through areas with no connection so I’m pretty helpless except for my wits, exploration and bare minimum tools. Which can be really fun. But then once you’re hooked up you can start designing things to suit you. Fair enough, I’m only using one, almost exploit over and over again. But I don’t care. Because it works, and it lets me and it feels good. 

I also recognise that it feels good because you earn it. It isn’t because the game turns to easy mode (Even though it turns a mostly easy game to a very easy game). But I earned it, and I did it and it’s cool. In fact this tactic might be too good apart from rainfall I can’t imagine what ideas the game has to defeat it. But I kind of hope it does because I want another chance to outsmart the game again. It would be a shame to spend so long waiting to be let loose, only to immediately make all the other potential options totally redundant. The game has finally found a nice balance of friction where it will challenge me and my ideas will challenge it back.

I don't really mind the lack of difficulty as such, I just like the loop of doing boring work and then doing more boring work to make the boring work easier.

I don't get it. It sounds like the worst idea for a game in the world but it just works for me.

Spoiler

Right now I am trying to build my rep with the weather station to increase their chiral bandwidth and allow me to expand my zipline network so it can stretch all the way from the mountain town to the depot south of Lake Knot. 

I feel at that point my experience with this game will be fairly complete. I don't care about building out the highway because other players aren't contributing anymore, I just want that bypass across the mountains to where the highway currently exists

I am on chapter 6. 

I’m at chapter 11 and got to an annoying boss fight. I checked a trophy guide that says you can switch between hard and very easy for fights and you don’t miss out in any trophies so I think I’m doing this now.

Jesus Christ. No spoilers but I’m basically at the end and the game wants me to make a choice, except I can not figure out what it wants me to do. I’ve “died” like 10 times at this point because I just don’t know what the game wants. There was a brief moment where a button prompt appeared that I think would get me out of this sequence, but I saw it for a second and have been unable to replicate it. 

This is madness. I really don’t want to have to resort to a guide just to do this one little bit

EDIT: My game glitched that’s why. What. Perfect. Timing. 

EDIT 2: I’m so tempted to skip these cutscenes. I’ve entirely tuned out and don’t know what they’re talking about anymore. 

EDIT 3: One thing I think is really dumb about the production of this game is you have famous people come to play these characters. Except, that’s not true because then they get voice actors to come do all the dialogue. But then in the credits you see the celebrities even had stand ins for their motion capture. No wonder these people aren’t doing interviews for this game they basically just licensed their likeness. Add on top the whole Monster Energy advert that is just this very awkward, immersion breaking elephant in the room and parts of the game feel really compromised in integrity and desperate for talent they didn’t really get. 

Mads and Norman mocapped and voiced their characters, I'm sure. The voices are very recognizable. The film directors (Del Toro and the guy who directed Drive) are just likeness cameos

I feel like I'm done with this game. Connecting up the mountains isnt interesting to me so I might just shelve this for a while.

Yeah those two play their roles fully, I think. But most if not all the other famous people in it they basically just paid money for their face. Which I don’t really know what that adds to it. I mean frankly I don’t think celebrities sell movies anymore, mind about video games, so I just wonder if this is Kojima just trying to rub elbows with Hollywood. 

I’ve been trying to level up the centres in the first zone but I’m not really sure the best way to do it. I only have the Wind Farm and Port Knot left. But aside from just running around picking up random packages I’m not sure what else to do. I could repeat deliveries for them but you don’t get many likes for that. Also apparently I’ve used up all my Chrilliam network in the area. Seems when I try to connect zones up I need to be more thoughtful about it than just throwing things down everywhere. 

Here’s me going I would say maybe half way to 3/4’s across the map in about 4 minutes and getting over 3000 likes. Has equipment and location spoilers so don’t watch if you don’t want to see that stuff

Spoiler

My friends call me Amazon Prime