passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Luigi’s Mansion 3

mmmark

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Yeah, I found a short YouTube video and I think I get the idea now.

That’s the place where upon turning on the first tv in the lobby I just followed the electricity back to the tv next to the lift and didn’t understand how to get up the key for half an hour ??‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Gone back to this due to having no home net.

Somewhere close to the end, just did the sand level.

I really like how each floor is themed and there’s been some nice surprises so far and not just sand, water, etc. Although they do obviously pop up.

• 5 weeks later...

Properly got into this now since playing the opening 45 minutes late last year. Think I’m about 14 hours in now and am up to Floor 9.

My thoughts have never really changed on it since my initial impressions really, it’s such a charming, jolly little game with so much heart and character. It seems like a much bigger, bolder game than LM2 in lots of ways. The graphics are so damn impressive - it must be one of the best looking games on the Switch - and the very idea of exploring ‘rooms’ has been turned on its head completely half way through the game. The boss battles are absolutely sublime as well, definitely the best in the series. It really is an LM fans’ dream come true really so far. 

The game starts off quite familiarly and I suppose at the beginning it was perhaps a little too similar to previous games but a little ways in this gets turned on its head and the Floors become themed lands. So far I’ve experienced a Medieval Floor, a Garden Floor and a Movie Floor, I won’t say too much more than that as there are some nice surprises to be had when you see and experience them for the first time but yeah, they are superb and something totally different than the previous games. 

The Boss Fights are also something they’ve amped up to the nth degree as well. There were boss fights in the previous games which were great but some in this game are on a whole other level. There’s one that’s a Ghost Pianist, another a Movie Director and so on. The ones from the uniquely themed floors or correspond to the theme of that floor too so they’re all full of character and fit their Floors perfectly. 

Some of the puzzles and collectibles seem more difficult to find here but it is perhaps just me misremembering what they were like in previous games. I definitely don’t remember having to look up as many gem locations that I’ve had to or a solution to the puzzles as I’ve had to in this game though. One of the floors features an elaborate puzzle where you have to retrieve an item caught in some cobwebs and I really couldn’t figure it out for ages. I visited floors I’d already explored to find hidden gems I’d missed multiple times and still couldn’t figure out some of the sneaky ways the devs had hidden them.

I do have a few negatives though. The aiming on the Y plunger is really imprecise - especially in boss battles - you just can’t really on it really and have to hope the auto aim adjusts the Plungers’ trajectory accordingly. Also I’ve found the controls a bit more fiddly than I did in previous games, you can’t invert the Y axis for some reason and I can’t seem to find how to turn off the Gyro aiming so I’m stuck with that on too which doesn’t help matters for me.

A few pics and vids:

Spoiler

624FFA6A-8A5C-4939-9B7A-92A5D3297CD9.jpeg

7904E215-56BF-46B4-97C8-2E7AEC8C8505.jpeg

FFA99C5B-CCD2-44F9-BE95-8F8B58CD6379.jpeg
00802C61-EB23-4CC8-9C36-943842CB1C76.jpeg

I'm not really sure where I'm at with this now.

I finished off Floor 13 last night, I'm 23 hours in and am starting to think the game is beginning to outstay its welcome a bit, I know that's partly my fault for wanting to find all the Boos and find all the Gems but I have found it a bit of a slog the past 4-6 hours or so where I wasn't before.

I'm still loving the environments. Every Themed Floor has been a delight and the Boss Battles continue to astound but I just can't help feeling like I'm just going through the motions. I get to a new floor, complete a few puzzles, find the Gems, defeat a boss and then go onto the next floor I go. There isn't that connection between the Floors and Rooms like there was in the previous games. That Metroidvania-esque aspect of returning to previously visited rooms/floors to explore a door or find an area you couldn't previously access is largely absent. Until the Themed Floors began those elements were in the game and I sometimes found myself wondering 'what's that grate in the Floor for?' etc. but since the Theming began I seem to have pretty much all the upgrades and so there's not really any point in backtracking to previous rooms/floors unless to capture Boos or a Gem I missed out on first time around. There are story reasons they get you to go back and revisit previous Floors but they just tend to feel like unnecessary padding at times.

But then the boss fights are so good. They're really so impressive, I don't want to spoil anything but the Floor I was exploring last night had a boss battle that took place on a boat and it just amazed me that a game like LM can conjure up that kind of intricate boss battle filled with spectacle. The bosses themselves have so much character too that you almost feel sorry for defeating them at times. As previously mentioned the Themed Floors are amazing - some are definitely better than others but all of them have been a real breath of fresh air  - especially when they don't adhere to the typical elemental themes, but I'm just not sure if its enough at this point.

I do look forward to playing it every night and I still enjoy it an awful lot but just can't help but feel like the game has run out of tricks to stop it feeling like I'm just going through the motions a bit at this point which is a shame. 

Finished it earlier. 

I came around on it again at the end as I really enjoyed the last couple of floors and the final two boss battles. How it ends really is just so jolly and charming too, Polterpup is the best boy.

That past 6 hours between Floors 10-13 was a bit of a slog and knocked at least a point off the game for me but it wasn’t enough to dent my overall enjoyment. In terms of scope and ambition this is definitely the best game in the series but I still just about prefer LM2 to this but this is definitely better than the original and has taken the serious to new heights in terms of scale, boss fights, environs and story.

It’s just such a lovely place to be for the most part, just a charming jolly romp through some truly amazing, different and unique locales. When you see the outside of the Hotel you can actually see where those particular Floors are on the hotel which is a really nice touch.

Lots of pics and some vids:

85C1E8A2-61E3-4BE9-97A6-734F74D42079.jpeg

4DA4EBB9-3ED8-4C82-97A6-E947209E1753.jpeg6EDB2CC4-C1F1-4EE1-88C7-7F04587DD8DC.jpeg

Spoiler

427F99A3-B62B-42BB-816C-C386F5EB8792.jpeg6A493EAE-2BC4-4AC3-9E1B-C4E63063D723.jpeg39466721-1779-456D-9AF2-C24EDEDDCC52.jpeg396F5F53-8578-4F96-9771-1D6D6DD208C5.jpegB732599C-AFBE-4BC2-85A1-EA9A988CACAE.jpeg

• 3 years later...
  • mmmark changed the title to Luigi’s Mansion 3