passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Luigi’s Mansion 3

mmmark

It’s as glorious as ever. The mechanics of vacuuming everything in sight is as much as a favourite of mine as cutting grass in Zelda games. It’s more beautiful than you could ask for and the details are astonishing.

B84DF897-FC0B-461C-81F6-D545C35C1F31.jpeg

2230E43F-2AEF-4B61-9402-19F347ADDF19.jpeg

I just got up to floor 3 and seem to have all the basic abilities. It’s pretty good right now. Animation, art style and cartoon charm Nintendo continues to be second to none. The tutorial stuff seems to go on a bit too long, but getting into the main game now so see if it let’s me go and I can just get on playing the game.

I’m not sure I’m a big fan of this game. It is very imaginative and has cool ideas, but the game is proving to be extremely formulaic and procedural both in terms of moment to moment and structure. I’m currently on floor 8 and started to get stuck and just turned put it in sleep mode. 

Also it’s weirdly glitchy. Twice I’ve had Gooigi go through a grate, come back, try to send him through again and he will just not go through. Thankfully this hasn’t happened on anything that’s mission critical, but very strange for a Nintendo game.

And I’ve had real trouble with the camera and perspective. I had the camera bug out in the beginning, again using Gooigi, but managed to get the secret gem without having to see it, which was dumb. But also generally I find the camera to be too drawn out sometimes. And since this is a puzzle game and you need to notice the details of rooms I just wish it was a bit closer so I could see. 

Not trying to hate, I quite like it, but right now it’s definitely my least favourite of the Luigi Mansion games

Played the first 30 minutes of it on Halloween just to play something spooky really and it is an absolute joy so far. Honestly one of the most jolly and charming games I’ve ever played.

I adored the first two games and it is my favourite Nintendo franchise so it’s not exactly a surprise I like it but yeah, that’s my twopence anyway. 

It looks absolutely spectacular as well, it’s like a LM fans’ wet dream really. Everything I could’ve dreamt the 3rd game to look and play like after Dark Moon has been transferred into reality and then some. 

So I played this game ALL DAY and NIGHT and have come around on this game a lot. I don’t know if the early game is weak or I’ve just changed my mind about this whole thing but I really enjoyed playing it for the last 10 hours or however long it’s been. 

It’s hard to describe, because the gameplay is quite repetitive and doesn’t really change mechanically at all (Although there is a set piece style power up you get to do a few times which is amazingly silly) but the levels them selves actually ooze imagination and really keep pushing in more interesting ways the further you get. I won’t spoil anything but each level/floor has it’s own theme, and because it’s set in a hotel the first 4 or 5 are pretty predictable. It’s a foyer, a kitchen or a bunch of rooms. But when you start getting to level 8 or so they start to just fucking go for it. And not only do the themes get really interesting 

Spoiler

I never thought I’d see Luigi in a Nightclub

But what they do within those levels not only keeps the game engaging but also always really fits the style of that floor. I’m not sure if I didn’t appreciate that enough in the beginning, or they just get really inventive with it at the end, or a mixture of both. 

It is still very formulaic in structure, which I don’t know. They mix it up a little bit by having you go back to floors you’ve already visited for “story reasons”, but I don’t know if that makes it better or worse. Clearly the game is trying to break itself up a little bit but just to go back to where you were before. I don’t know. 

Also not every floor is a winner. B2 and floor 7 are specifically not fun to play. 

It has not jumped into my top 5 or anything or I would even say is a “must play”, but it’s definitely better than I gave it credit for in the beginning and has gone from “Well made but not really for me” too “Actually a lot of fun and I like this a lot”

I’ve managed to capture all the Boos and only about 6 more gems to find and then I can tackle what I presume is the final boss. 

Above Astral Chain, below Link’s Awakening 

Got all gems and Boos and finished the game with an A rank. Man, it’s a shame the last boss just highlights how difficult the perspective and aiming is in this game. It’s just not good enough and a frustrating note to close out with. 

I didn’t think to take many pics throughout the game (Although I should of done because of there is one thing this game does better than most is look amazing) but here are some I remembered to take at the last second

Spoiler

EInUJ-tU4AEdheh.jpg

EInUOKsUUAAsumA.jpg

EInUSrLUwAUveeg.jpg

I’m onto floor 3, got Gooigi.

A bit stuck as a key I picked up has vanished and not sure where to find it.

Is the money used for anything? There’s a greyed out shop icon in the lab, I’m hoping for some cool upgrades.

The money buys stuff but not upgrades. The things you can do in the beginning are almost the only things you can do through the entire game. It isn’t like Metroid where you get new stuff, you just got what you got 

I’m digging the jazzy soundtrack, it’s like a more melodic Miles Davis.

Just done the music level, which seemed much shorter than the previous ones. I’m still finding the controls a bit finicky, but I keep forgetting to hold B to point the vacuum where Luigi walks.

I don’t use the face buttons cus then you’re not able to use both sticks. You can use L, R and L+R together to torch, shoot and dark light. I found the controls a lot better after discovering this. 

I’m on the cinema floor (8f) and I’ve just seen a poster for 

Spoiler

Mario Strikers.

• mmmark changed the title to Luigi’s Mansion 3