passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cosmic Star Heroine

HandsomeDead

This is a little known indie RPG from a couple of years ago that has a 16bit JRPG style.  On the surface it pulls a lot of inspiration from Chrono Trigger with regards to its battle system, but instead it has a sci-fi setting where you play as a team of future spies. 

It has been good so far.  Well, the story I'm a bit unsure about.  Maybe it just needs some time to pick up but currently it has a dodgy mix of some regular sci-fi and a Saturday Morning Cartoon, but in a way that isn't quite working for me.  I just want them to pick one so far.

But I've been very impressed with the battle system and that's the star of the show here. 

You have basic moves, moves that can be used once until you've gone in a turn consuming defensive stance, the moves have a lot of different kinds of properties even early on.  Every fight with basic enemies feels meaningful. 

JRPGs are often more of a marathon than a sprint, where you have to get from one place to the next, doing lots of simple fights and making sure you're prepared enough for it. 

Here, all of your health and abilities are restored after a fight so they're very self contained, puzzle-y things and don't shy away from making regular encounters feel like boss fights in another game like this. 

It's cool.  It's very cheap on Switch as of now and if you want something to challenge your decision making in a JRPG style I think it's truly worth looking at. 

I picked this up when it came out because I loved Zeboyd's other RPGs but it was so broken on release. There was still a message in there thanking you for completing the beta after you did the first area. By the time they fixed it my patience had well and truly ran out so never completed it. 

What about it was broken?  

I was unfamiliar with the devs but looking them up I recognise those other games.  I think I played Breath of Death, even. 

But its not broken now.  I'm struggling to think what a broken game like this is even like. 

It's not hyperbolic to say most of it. Constant crashes, missing sound files, missing NPCs and quest triggers. It was a mess. Apparently there was some issues with the day one patch getting certified so there was all sorts of nonsense going on that wasn't supposed to be there. 

I do want to go back to it at some point because they know their stuff when it comes to the genre and I followed development of the game for so long but I'd have to restart and I had genuinely hurt feelings about the state the game shipped in after waiting so long for it.