passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Outer Worlds

Bob

• 1 month later...

Finished this over the weeked, done pretty much all the side quest I came across and think got about 50+ Hours out of it.

For the most I really enjoyed it, though it was really well written and structured, the dialogue choices felt like they actually had an impact

not just on the story but  the way I was playing as a character, it looks great, doesn't suffer the bugs a bethesda game does, and the shooting mechanics feel really solid.

Also the world feels way more alive than fallout at lest, but I guess it should given its not post apocalypse.

There were a few things I really felt it could improve on, the tech skills hacking, lockpicking felt a bit bolted on, never really felt they lead anywhere important, other than 

cupboards with loot while the important choices on terminals generally came from science abilities, which left a lot of skills feeling redundant at least until towards the end.

Also felt the loot was to abundant, weapons felt quite similar in many instances and could have used a little variety, and similarly some of the perks felt a little pointless.

Definitely a world I want to go back to though, hope it done well enough for a sequel, technically its but bethesda recent works to shame.

Yeah some skills definitely end up being way more useful/impactful than others, it is a thing that could be improved on.

According to the playstation year in review thing this was my third most played game of 2019 with 60 hours. I think this justifies me buying it again on Switch!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ooh, I was really looking forward to that. Shame, but I'm not putting up with another blurry mess like Xenoblade Chronicles DE. Of course you've no choice with that one if you want to play it.

Cancelled my preorder.

What's it run like on ps4?

• 2 weeks later...

Grabbed this on sale on the PlayStation store and made the mistake last night of grabbing a quick go just to see what it looks like. 2 hours later I'm like kid with chocolate all over his face. That's one tasty cake.

And now I'm thinking about it, about which direction to take my character, which perks to go for, and how I'm going to loot and steal my way to becoming the richest man in that planet....

Must......resist....

I'm already committed to helping Ellie get thru whatever's troubling her. A lot, from what I've seen in the reviews.

Started playing this a couple of days ago as well. It's really good even though it took me a bit to warm up to it. There's something about the colour palette on the first planet that made it difficult for me to find my bearings. 

I really liked the last big choice there as well and some of its unforeseen consequences. I did get some sort of happy end but I had a really hard time deciding on which path to take.

I'm now on Groundbreaker but haven't done much there yet. It's not a good game to play when you get off work so I might just take this slow and only play on weekends.

I was of the opinion it would have been a good Switch game, as that slow Mo takes the edge off the Nintendo console's shortcomings in the FPS department. (I still want, nay, demand, fallout 3 on Switch).

Sadly that wasn't to be. Looks great on the PS4, though.

• 5 months later...

Parked Cyberpunk until they sort it out, and decided to quench the hype itch I'd developed for a western RPG with this. I'd had a quick look in some months ago but put it aside for other games.

I love it. I knew it was going to feel a bit like fallout, and it does. But it's playing really nice, and there are times when you really can just play it as a competent shooter. And you could hardly ever do that in the fallout games, if I remember rightly.

Done plenty of quests, and made plenty of mistakes, like not keeping stuff I needed for a main quest. Usually stuff like that gets locked down in the inventory! I wish people would stop complaining that games treat them like children. I need that, dammit.

Done all kinds of quests in this, from guiding a companion thru a bit of love-sickness, to full on factional warfare - and plenty in between those 2 extremes.

No one is what they seem here. I've learned to keep the book open on quests until the characters involved have fully spilled their guts. That means a good bit of dialogue as you try to get to the truth, and plenty of bribing to keep your options open. But I suppose you have to play this stuff out. The Devs have gone to a lot of trouble to make this feel alive, as though you're entering a situation in each quest that has nuance and depth. Of course you can go in guns blazing, and just be a merciless Merc, a gun for the highest bidder. But I'm too saintly for such shinanigans.

Great RPG I think. Graphically it looks bit off, and I'm never truly buying that I'm outside on an alien world. It's just a bit too stylised, and that 50s sci fi movie feel is just on the wrong side of obtrusive, for me. Maybe it would have been just too expensive to create so many alien environments more 'photo realistically,' 

Still a great effort, tho.