passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Outer Worlds

Bob

I've been dabbling a bit with this, haven't put massive hours in but what I have played I'm undecided on.

I started out on hard... Big mistake and resulted in me having an absolutely torrid time with the combat, so much so that I very nearly jacked the whole thing in. Eventually I did bite the bullet and just knocked down the difficulty to normal and now I get the feeling it's gonna be too easy.?

I need to put more hours in and hopefully it'll grow on me but so far this isn't a patch on Fallout 4, let alone Fallout 3.

I'm about 25 hours in. I just cleared Monarch and am about to return to Terra 2, to a 3rd location. I'm enjoying it a lot, the flow and structure of the game has really clicked with me.

Felix's special ability is so stupid it makes me laugh almost every time, the idiot.

I don't use him all that often though. My go to team usually consists of 2 of Nyoka, Parvati and Max. I haven't used S.A.M yet, he hasn't really had much interesting to say.

I finished it last night, I've had a blast.

I encountered one bug in my playthrough on PC, though quite a serious one: a crash to desktop in the last mission. Luckily it's not hard to work around.

Spoiler

It happens when you unseal the door and enter the room containing Chairman Rockwell.

The workaround is to kill him from outside the room, or go in the back door:

I had a lot of fun playing as a dumb-ass with the extra speech options creating a character with below average intelligence gets you. It even has an optional different ending.

Spoiler

When you get to the bridge of the Hope, instead of letting your ship computer initiate the jump to Phineas' lab you insist on doing it yourself.

The end result of this is you jumping the Hope into the sun by mistake, and getting presented with a screen simply saying "The End".

This is starting to click with me more now, I still find the gunplay to lack punch and feel lightweight but now I have companions to choose from it's becoming reasonably fun.

I've just finished the Toothpaste quest and bought passage to Monarch, coincidentally something about a patch dropping next week that fixes a potential game breaking bug there popped up in my Google news feed so I'm a little in two minds whether to hold off now until that lands.

If I'd spent full whack on this I would've been a little pissed, as is Game Pass has made this a fucking bargain.

I think it's fully clicking with me now too. I've spent the day almost entirely out in the wilds killing things and completing missions, very little talking to people, and when I did talk it was actually fairly interesting.

I think that's one of my two main problems with this so far. It's not that it hasn't got character, it's that the 50's raygun style futurism isn't as interesting as the Fallout world, not as 'real'. My other issue is that the way it's structured doesn't really help it flow or feel like a lived in world. The cities in these kind of games are usually things that are loaded in to, their own little box. The problem is that the world around it is a box too, a box within a box, it stops the world from feeling whole, and makes the structure feel a bit formulaic

I keep forgetting to use the abilities, shame as they seem pretty cool.

I had the crash bug near the end too, there’s a work around though, you can sill talk to the guy if you go back outside and jump over a barrier and in through another door then walk really slowly in the room.

finished it the other day, overall I liked it, but liked it more at the start so took on more side missions and got a bit fed up of doing so many side missions, although I didn’t do many of the companion ones, but did get decent outcomes on the two big planets. Did a bit of stealth which was ok but a bit clunky, mostly just killed the baddies. some funny bits, some really nice looking parts, combat was decent. Constant inventory management due to me stealing nearly everything. I like how you get caught stealing stuff then get questioned about it, say you weren’t, and they just go ok then that’s fine. And yeah I wasn’t enjoying it as much near the end but overall good stuff.

I think I'm right near the end of this. There's a locked area still but I've done all the companion quests so I must be pretty close. 

I complained that in the first area I felt there was only a bad answer to the area quest, I was worried that was how they were all going to be, but since then there seems to have always been a middle way. 

It has relied on the faction mechanic for its mission structure a bit much, it was nice to get to an abandoned area and have straight forward missions for a bit. That said, it's kind of funny how my actions have fucked me over in the current area I'm in, even if that's undermined by my being so strong I can kill everything, meaning it feels more of an irritation than an actual consequence