passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Outer Worlds

Bob

Spent about 5 hours with this yesterday and just left the first planet. I really like that sort of game design in open world games. A complete but bite sized chunk to get you ready for the rest. Places like White Orchard in The Witcher 3.

As for the game, it's okay. Crushingly okay. There's nothing in the game I don't like but there is nothing I love either. The writing is pretty good and there have been a few funny moments but there hasn't been a character introduced yet that really connected me to the world and the world itself is your generic capitalism gone wild scenario. Which I like, I'm an easy sell on that sort of thing but it's been done so often that it's just okay. 

Combat is okay. 

Loot is okay.

Graphics are okay. 

Character creator is okay. 

Skills are okay. 

Player choices are okay.

You get it. I'll be putting some more time into it today so hopefully it just starts off slow because there is definitely potential but I worry that they have spent so much time on giving the player a million different choices that none of them really mean anything. 

I spent a bit of time with it yesterday. Only enough to start collecting a few side quests and pick up a companion.

My first impressions, I was really worried. The intro, all the way from the beginning cut scenes till you take control on the planet, it all ran like garbage on the standard Xbox. When the cut scenes jolt around and you get bad frame rate, doesn’t fill you with confidence for the actual game, but surprisingly it seems to run just fine.

It all seems ok so far, though I started getting a bit anxious as to what I should be labelling as junk and selling, and what is useful. First perk I picked was to be able to carry more stuff.

I'm playing on the old potato box as well but didn't get any problems. Bit of slow down when looting enemies every now and then but that's it. I have only used the thing for a couple hundred hours over the past four years though so that could be why. My bros runs like shit now because it's been his main system this generation. 

I've just been junking everything I'm not using except mods. Pretty much everything I've trashed has been available from merchants except the heavy weapons. Currently breaking most stuff down since the repair costs from vendors is really high compared to the parts you get from each item and tinkering seems like a better use of bits.

I spent pretty much all day on this yesterday and managed to leave the planet at about 11pm. I thought this was supposed to be short ?

I'm enjoying it a lot, it was probably a bad place to stop because it meant starting a new area and talking to everyone ths morning, whilst trying to listen to a podcast, so it felt very slow. I'm enjoying it, there's still something on the original planet I need to do that I wasn't high enough level for, so I'll be heading back once I've gained a few levels. I've got two companions but you can't use the 2nd one in combat until you leave the planet so not tried him out yet 

I've been playing this, and agree with Bob, it's just OK so far, nothing I haven't seen before. I always seem to play these games with moral choices through as the good guy, so i've decided to do the opposite in this. Had a fun moment involving a campfire surrounded by Space hippies and a grenade launcher, and have been randomly shooting people in the head who I don't like.

Surprised people aren’t more positive about this. I’ve only put a few hours in so far but absolutely loving it! So far it’s exactly the game I’ve been wanting since Fallout 3. Already got a few decisions I’m not sure how I’m going to choose between. Love the scenery and design and hooked into all the little stories in a very short amount of time. 
great game so far. 

I had one decision that I kept changing my mind about, one about re-rooting power. In the end I went with the choice that was most likely going to give me more quest options, but no idea how impactful it was actually going to be.

I’m enjoying it enough. It’s what I wanted out of Fallout but without the feeling that I was playing a properly broken game. The gameplay feels much more solid and fun to control than they ever did to me.

I’ve got two companions but haven’t left the planet yet, so still very early in. I’m trying to do all the side quests I can, before I move on.

Here's what I did with the main questline on the first planet. Although something involving first aid isn't ringing any bells @Hendo so I may have missed that one. Or just forgotten. 

Spoiler

I redirected power to Edgewater and then went back to see Adelaide where she judged me and told me the way she was growing crops was by grinding up dead people but now without power all the veggies would die. She said she could bring proper food to Edgewater but only if I got rid of Reed. I asked her what happens when she runs out of dead people and she just said she'd make more or some other ominous shit.

I told Reed about the crops she was growing but left out the dead people compost and he agreed to leave town for the sake of his workers not getting the plague due to only eating saltuna. So now Adelaide is the leader of Edgewater and she's probably already started grinding kids into meatpaste so she can grow eggplants. 

That’s just ahead of where I am, I haven’t gone back to town yet.

The first aid was a side quest....

right at the start you’re asked to collect some debts. One person sends you off to get them aid. In classic Fallout style, someone stops you and tells you that they want the aid to distribute to more people rather than just the one. I went with the many.

@Hendo

I completely missed that part of it. I think I'd already been to the location and got the item before speaking to them so I just handed it over. 

Spoiler

With the story mission, I felt like there was more to it but it wasn't revealed to me. I just went with the approach that no one seemed happy in Edgewater and it was never going to change, I'd have rather found a middle way but there didn't seem to be a good one 

Which I suppose is modern Western rpgs 

It clicked for me last night and i'm loving it. I'm setting some rules for myself in this just to see how it plays out. My character is full on hand to hand combat, strong as an ox and dumb as fuck (always have to select dumb as an option). I'm choosing the most most morally questionable outcome of each scenario (obviously) and I have to kill every character I find on their own  (I tried to murder an entire bar last night but got outnumbered). Nearly became unstuck in one quest as I could either help a character, or help a character trying to rob from them so I ended up sneaking up behind each of them and taking a hammer to their skull, which immediately lost me a side-quest. Lesson learned - use people, et reward and THEN kill them.

Only played the first 2 hours or so whilst a bit drunk last Friday and it was OK.

The Role-Playing options available in dialogue were great but everything else was pretty mediocre for me as a first impression, it just seemed so badly to want to be Fallout but wasn't. It was just completely lacking any real charm or anything too, I immediately found it incredibly difficult to get invested in that world - which is obviously not a very good sign. Nevertheless, I am very early in but I'm just not sure I have the motivation to go back to it after those first 2 hours.

It's pretty distinct from Fallout although the similarities are obvious. I think it can take some time to get into a game like this, especially when the IP is new, so I'd say give it some more time. I've been staying up late every night playing this!

Put a few more hours into this. Loving it more and more.

However I have realised the way I want to play this does not suit my initial character build at all. So most of the stuff I put my creator points and abilities in dont suit how I’m wanting to upgrade. E.g. when creating I specced melee, now I’m playing I want ranged. But my ranged skills are at a 10+ point deficit compared to my melee even after levelling up a couple of times and pumping most of my points into it. I also want to upgrade my lock picking ability now after seeing just how many locked rooms and boxes there are but I’d be wasting loads of points getting it even half decent. 

Does anyone know if I use one of those Re-spec terminals will I be able to alter my character creation points too? Or will it only let me spend my level up points again?