passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

DisturbedSwan

Started the campaign on this earlier today and have had an absolute blast with it so far.

The feel of the guns and the sound design is just absolutely superb, you can hear and feel each individual shot as you make it and feel the impact much than before when you kill an enemy. The main new addition from previous games is being able to stick, take cover and peek by clicking the right stick in to peek and pick off enemies.

It drops you right in the action right away and can feel a little too quick and confusing at first, it really rams the plot down your neck and you’re a bit like ‘hang on...who’s that?’ But you soon just go with the flow really, the Villain hasn’t really been hyped up as much as previous games and I’m still a bit like ‘I’m meant to hate that guy?’ But yeah it gives just enough motivation and slap bangs you right in the action. Still piecing things together now but and trying to understand some bits and pieces but the world building is decent enough without being awe inspiring.

The levels themselves have all been really varied. There’s two set in a European city, a couple set in a fake middle-eastern city at different times of the day and one set in the fake Kazakh mountains. I guess nothing too crazy or out there in terms of CoD but they’ve absolutely nailed the atmosphere in all these missions, possibly better than they ever have before.

I don’t wanna give too much away and spoil things for people but it definitely pulls no punches in terms of subject matter. It definitely seems to be much more aware of the horrors of war than some previous titles and the subject matter reflects this, featuring burning bodies, civilians being shot, war crimes being committed and other atrocities (and I’m only on the 5th or 6th mission!).

Had a few technical issues with the cutscenes running at about 1fps every now and then - but I seemed to rectify this somewhat by switching to borderless full screen - a few weird AI issues and clipping issues with enemy soldiers but apart from this the game has ran more or less flawlessly on my new GPU, it looks absolutely phenomenal.

Some pics:

B5F86504-4CE0-43B8-AB7C-2FBE53676041.png

2AF0C781-3D5E-4AE8-BC83-D0A584844407.png

B12CD8BE-35B1-4AD8-AC51-FEC71E13C844.png

Spoiler

BDF558B2-1DEE-4CEC-A320-4CB3A1EC8928.png5224DCA1-7956-49CC-AB67-D40DD26ADBC9.png

C3012125-E4FB-4AA1-8C26-2C75120F4A84.jpeg

83A94B76-E3DD-4C20-8302-F6985DF5CCDC.png

04F19A2C-9DB7-470E-955A-39C74B2E033F.jpeg

CAA18506-34BF-4721-81E8-D0C784034DDE.png
39793A9D-1A8F-406F-A73A-8FA20D2EA23D.png

Just finished the campaign, and it was bloody brilliant.

Very well paced, and polished beyond belief. It's nice to play a decent linear story again, it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's one of the best looking games I've ever played too, and the sound effects pack a proper meaty punch.

Multiplayer is good as well. I'm getting MW2 vibes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started the campaign today and this is extremely fun. I’ve just finished up the embassy mission which I thought was very cool, especially the section where you have to shoot flares over the field to see the incoming bad guys. I’m only playing on Regular but even then the set up was great at building tension and then firing flares so you can see everyone in the field was a really nice idea which I don’t think I’ve seen in one of these games before. A true highlight with HDR on an OLED as well where the grass is literally pitch black except for some shimmers of light and then the flare goes up and it lights up blue and then you see all the bad guys. Great stuff.

As usual with CoD the story has kind of lost me. We’re searching for missing gas that is probably going to be unleashed on a European or American city, some guy called the Wolf has just been freed after we captured him. But there’s an awful lot of talking and dialogue in this game and most of the levels I’ve played move and progress quickly but the story doesn’t feel like it’s really moved on with it. So it’s one of these cases where you do all this different stuff but also nothing really feels like it changes. But it doesn’t really matter it’s not exactly the draw.

I don’t think this game reinvents the CoD wheel by any means but there is something about this particular game which makes it feel so much more alive than pretty much any of the other CoD games I’ve played this gen (Ghosts, AW and WW2). Maybe it’s the change in technology, maybe it’s just the way the game is designed or just an X factor that’s hard to pin down but whatever it is this game really feels like it stands out and I’ve had a really good time with it so far. 

Finished the campaign. Apart from one open level stealth mission which, I’m sure if you do it a couple of times and plan a route is good and fun, but approaching it like a tired headless chicken made it quite annoying - I thought the campaign was really, really great. Not quite as good as Titanfall 2 or Modern Warfare 2’s campaigns for me but it’s been a really long time since I’ve enjoyed a modern military shooter this much. 

Also the level you play when Farah is a child - super fucked up and but done really well. At least the start when your under the stuff and the army attacks and yada, yada. Really scary shit. 

This game has the easiest trophy list of all time. It’s taken me about 3 hours of just going through level select and checking them off one at a time. There’s only one of them that I would even describe as sort of hard and it’s clearing all 3 areas on the stealth level with no alarms or enemy shots fired. Thankfully you can restart at checkpoints and it still counts, and the game check points every 0.8 seconds or something so even then it’s not really a risk of losing that’s hard it’s literally just finding everybody in the areas. 

The only single player trophy left after that is clear the game on either Veteran or Realism. I looked online and apart from no HUD I couldn’t see what the difference was. I might start it on Veteran tomorrow and see how it is. Because the game is so built on set pieces and just running from point to point I think it should be relatively easy, however the few big gun fights in open areas that there are will probably be annoying just because this game still does CoD style whack a mole combat scenarios where jerks just pop out of every little gap. I think I heard they cooled it on the infinite waves of dudes like they used to do, though, so that’s a bonus, hopefully. 

Got through half the campaign on Veteran this morning but unfortunately hit a weird trigger glitch that is going to make me restart the level over. Basically you have this targeting laser for a drone and you have to blow a bunch of people up, but even once they’re all dead the game won’t move on. Sigh.

Not the worst thing in the world, though, considering this is the easiest hardest difficulty I’ve ever seen. Maybe ever?? Man, compared to how this used to be with CoD 2, MW2, Black Ops, World at War and all those old CoD games I used to do on Veteran this is a cinch.

I think this is such a walk over for both design specific reasons of the levels in this game and just the way they seem to handle difficulty now in general. The enemy AI is way less severe, the friendly AI is way more helpful, and they don’t seem to have infinitely spawning dudes anymore. 

I almost wish, almost, the game played like this but the missions had different fail states to compensate. Because I prefer the way this Veteran mode plays to the way they used to do it which was just bone crunchingly difficult. Trying to fight hyper tuned death robots that could track through walls, never miss and knew where you were before you even did, and the only way to make progress was just slowly crawling inches to the next cover, creeping around corners 1 degree at a time trying to get a safe angle to cross the scripting line which would stop the literally infinite numbered terminator army. I’m glad I don’t have to do that anymore.

But take this mission I’m in for instance. Basically I have to defend the fort from guys rushing in. But because the friendly AI is so good and key characters are invincible I just sit in the corner and shoot the ones that get past the allies. Easy enough. But if there was a fail state of ‘the compound has been overrun’ or something then I think that might be better. Because there is no tension here at all. Everyone is like “Don’t let them through!”, “They’re inside the walls!” And I’m sitting in the back munching on a sandwich being like “What you doing now?”

I’m not one for complaining at game for being too easy. Man, bring ‘em on. But this doesn’t feel like a good hard mode at all. I think you get just as much out of it as you do playing on Regular in this game. Which as frustrating as the old Veteran modes used to be, at least there was an argument for hey you can play this way if you hate yourself or you want to feel like you really accomplished a tough video game goal by doing it. This doesn’t have the same sense of reward at all.

On 26/01/2020 at 11:43, Maf said:

I’m not one for complaining at game for being too easy. Man, bring ‘em on. But this doesn’t feel like a good hard mode at all. I think you get just as much out of it as you do playing on Regular in this game. Which as frustrating as the old Veteran modes used to be, at least there was an argument for hey you can play this way if you hate yourself or you want to feel like you really accomplished a tough video game goal by doing it. This doesn’t have the same sense of reward at all.

I've played almost every CoD on Veteran since World at War and they've largely been a piece of piss since Modern Warfare 3. The only one I've given up on and had to knock down to Hardened is the original Black Ops, there was this corridor at a Nuclear facility and it was just the worst, I must've tried it for about 3-5 hours before giving in and restarting the level on Hardened. I believe Black Ops 2 I never bothered with Veteran either - fearing it'd be as annoying as the original - and Ghosts too maybe for some reason?

But yeah, the old adage used to be that the Infinity Ward 'Veteran' difficulties weren't that difficult compared to Treyarch but that's all been thrown out the window since the start of this Gen. The last 3 I've played (Black Ops 3, WWII and MW (2019)) have all been a piece of piss on Veteran, some of them have had 'realistic' now though which is a step up apparently but I've not tried it.

I don’t remember the very last CoD game I completed on Veteran. MW 2019 is definitely the first one on this gen, though.

But I never really noticed the Treyarch ones being harder than the IW ones. They were all bullshit difficult.

But this new one is the easiest hard mode of a game I’ve ever seen. I’ve never completed a CoD game on Veteran in less than 6 hours before. 

I did play the original MW on Xbox One a few months ago and no exaggeration I think regular difficulty in MW 2007 is harder than Veteran difficulty in MW 2019. It’s hard to get across just how not challenging it is.

Also I looked up the difference between Veteran and Realism and they identical except Realism doesn’t have HUD elements

• 2 weeks later...

I started the multiplayer on this tonight and have had some very good beginners luck. First off, here is me being an unintentional dick. I was trying to celebrate him, I really thought he would make it. 

But then after I actually won a a Gun Game! This is my fifth match in MW, I’ve never played this mode before, had no idea what was going on at first, and somehow won the game! Even at the end with the knife throw I had no idea R1 would do that. I was really hoping for a grenade ? 

That was super crazy, can only go downhill from here lol

All I want to play is TDM, though. That hasn’t even come up yet. 2 Headquarters, 2 CTF and 1 Gun game.

Jesus Christ the Season 2 update is over 70GB. The game already takes up 120GB+ on the Playstation, and because I’ve been downloading a lot more recently than playing on disc it looks like I’ll have to delete stuff I’ve downloaded that I haven’t played yet.

That’s insane, dude.

I also can’t play the game at all without installing the update. 

Wow. I had so much fun with this last week and was looking forward to getting back in to but maybe I just play something else. I’ve never really had this dilemma before. What a stupid problem. 

After downloading for 3 hours I finally sat down and played for about 1 hour and enjoyed it again but not as much as last time. Mostly because even though I was still doing surprisingly good for me (One match I had a K/D of 18-10) but I kept being on the losing team despite playing quite well.

I also got to level 16 and have a bunch of stuff unlocked, but I’m not really sure I’m in to the progression in this game. Like I’m still using the base machine gun that the game starts you with, ranked it up a bunch with sights and stocks and all kinds of bullshit. But then I’ve just unlocked a new machine gun that doesn’t have any of that and it’s like...why would I use that gun?

Als the load outs and options. There’s simply too many. If you’re really in to all of this then maybe it’s great but I’m both overwhelmed by how much stuff there is to use and try but also find looking through all the guns, kill streaks, yada, yada exhausting. 

I just kind of like shooting dudes and every now and then managing to not get shot immediately after.

It’s still fun, though. I could see this being a podcast game for me. 

I reached rank 20 and think I might be done with this now. 1st week had an amazing time, 2nd week had a good time, 3rd week I’ve started to feel really frustrated. Capture the Flag comes up way too much, if I do play again I’m going to have to take it out of the rotation because it’s easily the thing the game selects the most. Also in a game where we were tied my 3 other team mates for the majority of the time decided to sit and defend our flag. It’s...unbelievable.

I don’t know. I also don’t get much out of the progression, either. I did try to use this 3 shot machine gun thing which took getting used too. After a couple of matches it was fine but sometimes you just want to non-stop fire on an area in case dudes come out, and 3 shots is not the gun for that. So I just went back to the default. I also tried levelling the rocket launcher but it’s bullshit. I’ve never seen a rocket launcher in a game before that has such a small range for splash damage, if it has any at all. They take forever to fire as well. I found myself having to pull the trigger before I could even see round the corner. I think I got a double kill once and every other rocket was a dud.

I don’t know. As much as I take massive issue with how Destiny works the idea that you can get stuff that actually helps in the SP is so much more of a drive than new attachments for guns. Even if I think in terms of pure action this is way, way better than Destiny in multiplayer. I just can’t play it for more than an hour at a time and with so many games in my back catalogue I just feel like this is a waste of time. 

I don’t know. Ultimately I like it, the core action is really fun, at times even really funny. But I don’t like it enough to keep playing without any set goals or aims.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to level 40 in the multiplayer today. Man, I am so fucking bad at this game! I have had a couple of good games today, but most of them have definitely been me just getting trounced. One game I went 7-36.

?

Why is it so much fun but why do I suck so much dick at this game ?

My reaction times are god awful as well. I swear 100% of the time every time I turn a corner into someone they kill me first. I don’t think I won a single “Who can hit the button first”.

There are times when I’ve watched the kill cam and I swear I’m in their sights significantly earlier than they are in mine. But it can’t be happening - literally - every single time

I hate video games. All they do is eat your life and make you feel bad.

This is only anecdotal I suppose but the thing I dislike most about Modern Warfare is whenever I watch the most popular streams of it on Twitch the people playing it are always angry or wankers or both if I dug further I could find nicer people playing the game probably but the fact that twats get the most views makes me not want to be one of these people that watch their streams or even like the game because what does that say you know what I mean 

got the free battle royale thing that is now part of this, it's pretty good - considering i've gone off battle royale games a bit, possible to kill people - where i really struggle to kill anyone in apex. and the plunder mode where you respawn is fun too, you have to collect and bank cash a bit like that mode in titanfall. we got 1 million twice but came 3rd each time. edit - got 3rd again with less money, then got a win on the plunder mode :D

I haven’t played any Warzone, but I’ve watched a lot of Warzone and this game looks so fun. Probably less fun playing it but watching people who are good at it and work as really cohesive teams is very cool.