passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ape Out

DANGERMAN

I thought there was a thread, there should be, Ape Out got a lot of coverage for a few days at release. 

It's a simple premise and a simple game. You're a captive ape and have to escape. Your captors are gun toting guards or various types, and you bound through the level smashing guards, grabbing them to use as shields, or flinging them into other people or walls. You can take 3 hits, every few sections you start a new level and get your health back. Killing the guards doesn't really do anything for you other than clear the way, there's nothing to stop you from just gunning it, which is what I tend to do and it probably does rob the game of something 

The thing that makes Ape Out stand out is the jazz soundtrack which is tied to what's going on in the game, and the old European cartoon look. It's a cool game. 

The problem is that there's not a huge amount to it. I like it but you're getting as much from it on disc 1 as you are on disc 3. You get new enemies and the challenge they throw at you changes, but it still amounts to you grabbing and splatting. For example, the game introduces enemies who smash through windows wearing body armour, they're more dangerous and more useful as weapons, but they still die from being twatted about by a gorilla 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot to like about this but there's a few rough edges that take the gloss off things. 

The most technical one is how the save system works. The game saves your progress and keeps track of which track you're on (the levels are based around vinyl lps) but when you reload after turning the game off it puts you back to the start of that 'side'. It feeds in to the aesthetic but it means you're repeating stages you might have already struggled to beat 

It sometimes feels like you can't avoid getting hit. I'm fairly sure enemies don't trigger until they appear on screen, but how and where they appear means you can't always reach them to kill them before they shoot, or find cover to avoid their incoming fire. Or I'm just not very good. There's definitely times you just get a bad spawn of enemies, but then sometimes you'll get quite a clear run 

Glad I played it, the last level is cool, the bonus level is too frustrating for me to stick with