passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Zelda: Link's Awakening

spatular

^ about the seashells 

Spoiler

in the old gb one there were 20 and if you got them all and had max health your sword would sort of fire lasers! in this one there seem to be a lot more and you can hand them in at a seashell house thing for varying rewards, i guess if you get them all you still get the laser sword thing. not sure if these changes were in the gbc version or new for this one?

i was really enjoying this up till around starting dungeon 3, then i think it takes a bit of a dip in quality which had me worried it might not be as good as i remember but not to worry too much as it's really picked up again. last few dungeons i've been enjoying and the previous dungeon was especially ace, and just started the final one which i remember being really tricky and getting stuck there last time i tried to replay it. (and well maybe it isn't quite as good as i remember - minish cap and link between worlds are probably better 2d zeldas)

also did the gbc dungeon for the first time (which i think is optional) - that was part of the dip - didn't think it was that good tbh - you do get some good stuff for finishing it though.

some of the bosses are easier than i remember. and in more recent zelda games i think the bosses are often a high point, theres some amazing ones in twilight princess iirc but here they're not really that impressive. it is a very old game though i guess. 

also played a little in handheld mode and i think the graphics look nicer on the small screen, and it possibly runs better too.

edit- the controls are loads better with more buttons and dedicated ones for shield and run.

I would take this game over Minish Cap any day, I think. I played that game a couple of times and liked it because it’s Zelda, but really didn’t love it like a lot of people do. 

Excluding the NES originals I think my 2D Zelda list would be

LttP

LA

ALBW

Ages

Seasons

Minish Cap

I think the real strength to LA is the tone, the oddities and the overworld map (And the music in this version holy shit)

I near-enough finished this last night (I just have a few chamber dungeons left to clear) and it's still absolutely my favourite game of all time. Completely charming and a really good remake, the QOL improvements, extra collectibles and much expanded mini-games are all great. It's easier than the original, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - the only thing I definitely prefer in the original is the music!

Up to the face dungeon (lol) now which is as far as I got with the game when I played it on 3DS a couple of years ago. Don't know if it is the familiarity with the game or better sign posting but it's been pretty breezy so far.

I've got a broom though and I don't know what to do with it. Went to the witch because I'm a racist and believe all stereotypes are true but she just took my mushroom without even asking when I was full of magic powder. Then remembered the old lady back in town was always using one but now she's disappeared so I guess I need to give it to her but where is she? Where? There? Nope. So where? 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

How many hours roughly are people taking to finish it?

My copy is in the Amazon locker down the road but I can't be bothered to go out in the rain to get it.

Well some people are nearing the end already, it took me about 3 hours to do the first 3 levels + lots of exploring, @bellow is currently tracking at about 6792 days to minimum completion which actually is pretty good. So it’s hard to say. 

I checked the weather and it’s supposed to be raining early hours of the morning Saturday. Which is perfect because it means I can get some snacks the night before, go to bed early, and get up and play this at like 5am. While it’s grey and quiet and just nicely roaming around finding shit and solving puzzles. Ahhh.

Just need to get through this fucking week first, though. 

Hopefully finish this tonight, I'm about half way through the final dungeon.  I've absolutely loved playing this again & it's pretty much everything I wanted in a remake of the first Zelda game I played & loved.  I was a little worried that it wouldn't have aged well or it wasn't as good as I remembered but I certainly haven't been disappointed.

I started this on Monday night and didn't get very far in before getting lost ?. My portable Zelda experience started with Oracle of Ages/Seasons so I've no previous experience with handheld Zelda's that came before - including this one of course - which means I've gone in almost completely blind. 

But yeah it's pretty good. A little bit different than I was expecting with all the nods to the other Nintendo franchises and stuff in there, it also has a bit of a weird surreal atmosphere which I dig completely. 

It seems to play a little differently from most 2D Zelda's I've played but I have literally just got the Sword after figuring out how to move the Urchins on the beach so I'm not exactly far enough in to properly judge. It has a lot in common with other 2D Zelda's for sure but seems to have a few more enemies and a few more puzzles than usual? That could possibly just be me not playing one in forever though.

Looking forward to playing more. 

Up to dungeon 7 now and I was kind of dreading this one to be honest. I think it was covered in an episode of game makers toolkit and I suck at navigating multiple floors in a 2D space. Dunno why, just something I really struggle with and after wandering round for a while I don't think this one will be any different. Kind of tempted to use a guide tbh because I can't see any way I get enjoyment out this one and it's better to cheat from the start than try to work through a guide in a half finished dungeon... Dunno. Maybe i just need to believe in myself, anime style. 

That’s the one burned into my memory as well. That might be my latest memory of the game because it’s really difficult. If I remember right there’s like 7 floors and you can move the pillars which changes the floors and how you navigate. Or maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s something like that. 

the new map feature where you can mark stuff come in really handy for the last 2 dungeons, like I could mark where the stairs go with the same icon, and in the 7th one mark the 

Spoiler

Pillars

I remember struggling with those two and did still struggle tbh but marking stuff helped a lot.

Top tip @spatular.

Put a couple of hours into this today. The game itself is still great, it's still my favourite 2D Zelda game, possibly my favourite of all the Zelda games. Also, it looks lovely and the extra QoL stuff makes a difference, but..

The shitty frame rate and stuttering as you move between areas or if too much is on the screen is proving to be a bit of a deal breaker for me. For a console that is still in its infancy, it seems odd for a first party Nintendo title to suffer from this. Also, I seem to be getting very confused with the control scheme, but that's me being a spoon I think.

@spatular Nice one! I didn't know you could put markers in the dungeon maps. I've wasted loads of time taking the wrong stairs in this game.

So I'm making good progress. Done an optional dungeon to get myself a prime piece of kit, too, and finished my session with the door to the face dungeon open and ripe for the pillaging ?.

Can't say I've noticed any frame rate issues like @Jimbo Xiii. That's certainly not to say they aren't there, it's just that something has to basically lurch into stop motion before I even notice. Then again I don't play on pc, or even PS4 much, so I'm not tuned into to those buttery frame rates.