passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Zelda: Link's Awakening

spatular

so yeah, it's an old zelda (gb/gbc) game given new graphics, and some other changes i guess, not sure what they've changed, there's a make your own dungeon thing, and i guess any changes in the colour version (which i haven't really played) will be in there. this is one of my early gaming memories and one of my favorite zelda games, but haven't played it in a long time so not sure what i'll think of this new version.

there's some stuff/puzzles that were pretty annoying in the original version which seem to have some more hints on what to do in there now (keep the sound on - the music is ace anyway) but it still seems like it could be pretty easy to get stuck, and it's hard for me to say as i do remember some stuff from playing it before.

i've done the first 2 dungeons and they're pretty short and easy other than a few bits, and think i'm on one of the best bits of the game where you get

Spoiler

bow wow (a chain chomp) as a companion and it's brilliant as he destroys enemies and finds hidden stuff, but i'm supposed to give him back now but i don't want to so been exploring and finding seashells.

iirc the difficulty picks up.

the graphics are completely different, i think the new look is pretty cool, there's some framerate problems, as in it's not completely smooth but it's not really affected me.

and yeah i'm enjoying it.

anyone else get it, hows it going?

I've done the first couple of dungeons and honestly couldn't tell if they have changed anything either. Are those owls in the dungeons new? 

I love the look of the environments, it all just looks like a diorama that you can reach into. Octopath Traveller had a similar feel but like a pop up book. The character designs remind me of Miis though so fuck them. 

That part of the trading game I remembered so wasn’t a problem. Now I’ve got honey and I can’t remember what to do with it. I’m sure it will reveal itself. 

I just finished up level 3 and this is where my experience with the game starts to run dry. I’ve got up to this point a lot of times on the GBC version but only completed the game twice before so I have vague memories of what to expect but this is where the game begins for me, really. 

It’s awesome as fuck, though. I haven’t played a ‘classic’ style Zelda game for so long that doing this again is really a lot of fun. It looks great, too. Maybe the fog on the outer edges is a bit much but once I start getting into it I’m only looking at the centre of the screen anyway. 

Also when you fall down a pit and just sharply reappear it’s the only thing I’ve spotted that seems ‘out’ with the rest of the game. It’s just a very odd transition. 

Anyway, I love this game and I love this version of it. I wish they had repackaged in the original, too. Maybe as a separate mode or something. Not that it’s really needed but just for the extra nostalgia squeeze. 

@bellow I haven’t died yet and got so many hearts now I probably won’t so you’ll have to tell me what happens ?

? Okay, that bit I don’t need to know about 

EDIT: Do you know what old game would suit this kind of upgrade and this very particular art style? Earthbound. They should do that (And maybe make it easier no JRPG boss has beat me down like the boss at Fourside)

And yet I feel the need to divulge....

Oh, this game is so beautiful. Why isn't everyone on the forum playing it? Why, I say? It's just so shiny and perfect.

And even though it's tiny, it feels huge. Like the opposite of Red dead redemption 2.?