passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dark Pictures Anthology: Man Of Medan

AndyKurosaki

Ok, so it’s pretty clear this is by the team that brought us Until Dawn. As it’s pretty much more of the same. From the stereotypical characters (Jock, nerd, wanker), to the narrator between scenes who questions your story choices.

It’s certainly shorter than Until Dawn was. And I didn’t find it particularly difficult to make it to the end with nobody getting killed. Still, it was an enjoyable experience.

Graphically it looks great, though at times some of the characters had a bit of a fit when walking for some reason. And the story ended with several parts not really making any sense. Apparently if you play it in multiplayer you get some more explanation. But I haven’t, and won’t be doing. So there we go.

It still has the “taking ages to look at an item” mechanic that UD did. Which can be annoying when you take ages to pick something up, only for it to serve no purpose whatsoever. Walking around takes ages unless you constantly hold down the run button. And there were quite a few instances where I wasn’t really sure where I was meant to be going.

That being said, it was alright. Worth a rental at least. 

I enjoyed this. I would put it near the top of my boat based horror experiences which isn't difficult since it is by far the worst horror setting. 

The ending felt really flat for me. It did such a good job of slowly building up to something and then it gets to a point where the game kind of shrugs and says, "well the player has probably figured it out" and gives up. I mean, it literally does that, the narrator even says it. Three quarters of it were ace though and I'll definitely be coming back for the next part. 

Agree that it looked great. I was playing this and Control at the same time and wondering why we even have live action anymore. Graphics are much more realistic. 

• 2 years later...

Me and my friend have started playing horror games again beginning with this. It’s Ok so far. The boat sequence after the tutorial felt a bit needlessly long but now we’re on the ship it’s better. It’s probably the same but I think the controls are worse here than Until Dawn. The walking is so tanky, the fixed camera angles make it difficult, I didn’t realise I could open books for secrets until way too late. I’m still not sure how I’m even doing it. Pick things up and spin the sticks to see if something happens. 

But it’s providing the base for a lot of laughs though which is what I like when playing these games. Just messing around and making fun of the characters. We both immediately took a dislike to Conrad so whenever there’s a chance to make another character dunk on him, or make Conrad look stupid we always take it regardless of how bad the option is.

Also in our lore everyone is on the ghost boat to find chocolate milkshake lol.

It doesn’t seem as good Until Dawn at all yet but still a good laugh. 

I played through this a couple of months back and really enjoyed it, completely forgot to post about it.  The one thing I will say though is that it never quite felt like it really got going, there was one point where I was chased by something, but then it all quietens down again. I suppose the truncated run time is probably to blame for that, but I felt it got the mood and atmosphere right, just lacked a bit of content

I also played through this once a while back, it's the only Dark Pictures game I've bothered with as this one soured the experience a lot. After the top notch Until Dawn this felt like such a downgrade and you could tell that Sony's money definitely wasn't there.

Shoddy performance, too short and too many QTE's are my stand out memories... glad it was a Game Pass experience as I would've been fuming if I'd bought this.