passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Blasphemous

mfnick

Only put about 1.5 hours into it but happy so far. Think Metroidvania X Dark Souls with some extra gruesome and stunning imagery and you’re about there. Feels a bit slower and more deliberate than what I was expecting - was thinking it was going to be more Dead Cells than Dark Souls in this respect - but most importantly it feels and controls really well which is essential because it’s bastard hard!!! Don’t know if I picked a particularly difficult route to take first (top left of the map) but I’m getting battered.

Its got a upgrade system too and feel like I could do with a couple of the extra abilities. Got a fair amount of upgrade points but I’m miles away from the area where you buy skills. Hoping another opens up soon. 

Good game so far, recommend it if the Metroid x a 2D Dark Souls sounds appealing. 

I’ve put a few more hours into this now. Starting to get a bit obsessed, it’s properly clicked for me after this play session. 

My thoughts about going the wrong way to start with turned out to be right, I reached a boss at top left of the map, got slaughtered and just thought “fuck this” and decided to back track. Ended up going the bottom route - a lot better! Much easier, got 2 health upgrades and a extra 3 health Vials along with some equipable  items which also help. Done 2 main bosses and a sub boss in this area without too much hassle, the sisters were a bit of a bastard but I got there! Properly satisfying and really getting the feel of the combat too, learning a lot more of the intricacies. Brilliant game! 

Anyone else who’s starting this soon, make sure you stay at the bottom area of the map to start with. 

Done a lot more bosses, areas and unlocked more abilities now. It’s really well paced and the level design is excellent, opening up shortcuts and circling round on areas naturally. Absolutely loving it, keep being incredibly impressed by the visual design too, the backgrounds, enemies and bosses are all top notch and always look forward to seeing the next of each.

Only negative is, I’ve had a few nasty bugs. 3 of which I’ve had to restart the game to sort where I’ve clipped through scenery or just disappeared. Luckily the game is great at keeping your progress, any map updates, collectibles, tears etc. save immediately so not lost any progress on any, just had to navigate some areas again. I did have to restart one boss though as it screwed up just as I beat it. Luckily it was a relatively easy one. 

Im supposed to be in this scene but my character disappeared and it got stuck in a loop. 

Apart from that its fantastic. 

A23E09F5-0726-465B-84FE-CF914332C403.jpeg

Completed yesterday. Then did the extra work to get the A ending too :) . I absolutely adored it. The B ending really highlights and explains the message of the opening scenery in a way I didn’t spot originally. Excellent stuff. After completing it, it lets you load your save before the end boss so I definitely recommend doing both endings, in fact I think the “worse” ending is the more powerful one. 

Highly recommend to any metroidvania fans. Its not even that difficult really so don’t let that put you off, just explore a bit and try a different path if you’re struggling. Some routes are definitely easier and meant to be tackled before others for health reasons if not ability. It’s pretty easy to see which way is the more standard progression route after the first hour or so of fumbling if you go the more difficult path. 

Only gripes are the odd bugs as mentioned before (didn’t have anymore though thankfully), it’s possible to mess up certain time restricted “quests” which prevent you from getting 100% on 1 play through which is normal really but a bit disappointing. & the dialogue is overly wordy and difficult to follow as religious speak can be at times. Apart from those small issues, fantastic game that just got better and better as I played. It really does look amazing in parts too. Really nice animation as well. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Just started this, thanks to it being in the PSN Xmas sale. Off to a good start, I’ve been waiting for it to hit the sales, and I’m finally getting to play it. Combat seems satisfying, the atmosphere is foreboding. Enjoying it so far.

Good man! About time someone else gave it a good go. Will be interested to hear what you think as you play more. I personally though it just got better and better the more time I put in ?loved it

Sounds like you’re at least going the right direction at the start unlike I did haha. 

yea the parrying is quite unforgiving to start with but one of the abilities or wearable things (forgot what they’re called in this) gives you extended parry time which helps a lot. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a morning person. I used to be That Kid, who was figuratively bouncing off the walls at 4am. My parents didn't really appreciate that, for some reason? Anyway, on the occasion I could sneak out of my bedroom and into the living room, I used to watch the early morning cartoons of 90's Sky TV. One of them I remember vividly was Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea. To me, this game instantly evokes that series on a number of levels. Tonally, so far, this game is right up my street. I'm roughly 40% in and absolutely loving this. Of course I am min-maxing, so I've already doubled back many times over the locations I've unlocked. I'd imagine sequence broke a few things too.

A problem I have is I often take really long periods of time in between gaming sessions. Forgetting controls etc 

One such moment, I was facing off against a challenging new enemy - a ghost with a thrusting sword attack. They only appear the instant before they strike. Now after a few hits I cheesed them by taking advantage of their AI IE they aim for your last location, so I jumped quickly. They lunged above me and I swung at them like a lunatic.  Only later when I returned through the area, I remembered to parry... and they die in one hit?

Two out of three main bosses dead. Weird that I had more trouble with the first one, some big tree demon, than with the second one - three women on a vertically scrolling level. I'm thinking there is more to this than that, otherwise I would have heard about how short this game is. Not that I will approach the Boss Gate, I've already discovered, until I've scoured every corner of the map.

• 2 months later...

I got this the other day and I'm pretty far in. 

It's pretty good and there is a decent variety of enemies with different ways to take them down.  There isn't as much exploration as I thought there'd be or maybe I'm just bad because I do have a bunch of quest items that need turned in somewhere. 

But its pretty good, I think I'm drawing near the end so I may backtrack and talk to some previous weirdos to see if they want any of the trinkets I've picked up to help with the later areas. 

Glad you’re enjoying it. I found I was exploring quite a bit, loads of the ability buffs and unlocks were hidden away but you never had to go far off the main paths to get to them. But it is definitely more combat focused and linear than most Metroid style games. 

It’s currently on offer on the Xbox BTW if anyone else is interested.