passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears 5

Nag

Made a good start on this, and I think it's a pretty successful step forward for the series. I'm coming at it as player of RPGs, so there's that - but I can definitely see how someone who just plays shooters might question what's going on with all the walking around, chatting and picking up components.😀

But for me it's made an excellent series even more compelling, especially when my main gripe about the earlier games was the severe lack of downtime. I often felt there was just no time to take stock of the situation and get to know the characters. Here, the pace has been tuned so there's a sense that people are actually living amongst all the mayhem, rather than just narrative tools to justify missions.

I've just done my first RPG-like question mark on the map type mission, with a nice mini boss and a good narrative pay off, so I can see the direction this game is going, and I'm all for it. Obviously there'll come a moment when I'm fed up skiffing around and just want to head for the endgame. But that's true of all longer games.7d5578ac-7e39-4752-aa8d-8875a4caedcd.png

e435606c-4656-43bb-9593-e377bc5448f7.png

I don't think it overly ruins things by saying the game is bookended by the more traditional scripted style levels... the open world segments are a nice touch in my opinion, especially as they don't force trash mob after trash mob encounters on you in order to get anywhere.

4 hours ago, bellow said:

Obviously there'll come a moment when I'm fed up skiffing around and just want to head for the endgame. But that's true of all longer games.

Those skiffing parts aren’t that long even if you do everything so I don’t think that’ll be a issue really. Even I didn’t think they outstayed their welcome really and I hate filler stuff like that normally. 

And I'll tell you what, @mfnick, that skiff handles better than most of the gaming world's sci fi vehicles.

Must also say this is by far the most impressive game visually I, personally, have ever played. I say personally because I only got to play God of War and TLoU 2 on a PS4 at 1080p. But, Jeze, the graphics!

I know this ain't the topic for it but you guys should really check out that Guardians' game, a bit of a surprise when it comes to its visuals.

Gears for me was a bit eye searing on the HDR setting, even when calibrated. Felt a bit too 'contrasty' or something but maybe that was something on my end.

Spoiler

The Matriarch. What a bitch!

I think that might have been the toughest challenge in the whole gears saga up to now, for me anyway, although mainly because I think the general difficulty in this iteration has been a bit lower than usual, and I wasn't ready to be  facing something with a 1 hit kill ability. Still, it was satisfying to see it tumble, eventually!

Such a great game. And technically flawless up to now. I can only think of one other game that feels this solid, where the 'weight' of the action feels just right - God of War. 

Even Kait is just right. Not as heavy as Marcus and not as lightweight as JD. 

Yeah, I also thought that the Matriarch was a bit of a difficulty spike... there's two main combat segments that always seem to give me trouble in this game, the frozen lake and one in the final chapter (which I won't mention at the minute) I blame those fucking Dropshots... I don't know if you've done any of the previous dlc for the games @bellow but I would say give Hivebusters a go with this, it's pretty good and free with GamePass.👍

In the multiplayer I hit Re-Up 20 yesterday thanks in part to the ridiculous 6.66 XP event they have on at the moment, the next Re-Up milestone would be 30 which I don't see me hitting. There's a few kill and assist achievements that I may pop (depending on when Gears 6 drops) but there's the chance that could be my last Gears 5 achievement.😢

Hivebusters? Yeah, I was going to treat that as a standalone game. Looks meaty.

You have to hand it to these in-house developers, don't ya. That time and money they have access to really brings a stamp of quality that pushes the envelope. I'm still just watching cutscenes in this and missing the dialogue as I drool over armour texture and such. 

I'm one of those long time Sony gamers who took notice when Microsoft bought Ninja Theory, and then had no choice when Bethesda fell. 

God knows what those games are going to look like, especially the Ninja Theory one.

I'm a graphics whore😭