passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears 5

Nag

@Maryokutai I understood what was happening, but only because it’s fairly generic sci-fi it’s like oh, I’ve seen this before. So I know what it is from other media. Broadly speaking I picked up what it was putting down.

Spoiler

But who is this mother and that mother and hive minds an old government projects and dads and splicing I thought it all got very confusing. Especially when they had to show Kait’s mum die like 19 times before I remembered that was how Gears 4 ended. Like, oh right, all that shit i get you. There was a big robot throwing helicopter propellers, I remember that. 

But it in terms of detail. No clue. Felt like they were trying super fucking hard to justify ducking behind a wall and shooting dudes.

EDIT by Jim because spoilers

6 hours ago, Maf said:

But it in terms of detail. No clue. Felt like they were trying super fucking hard to justify ducking behind a wall and shooting dudes.

I think they did the right thing because ducking behind a wall and shooting Lizardmen isn't enough context to carry a game in 2019 anymore. It's not the most popular opinion but it's the same reason I think Halo 4 is by far the best of the series, because it actually made you care about some of its characters thanks to a better narrative and more nuance and depth to them than just Master Chief saying "finish the fight" every 30 minutes and hoping that's what the players are there for. People who don't want that stuff can still skip the cutscenes and play the game like they used to 10 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

but it's the same reason I think Halo 4 is by far the best of the series, because it actually made you care about some of its characters thanks to a better narrative and more nuance and depth to them than just Master Chief saying "finish the fight" every 30 minutes

Wow... Are you the other half I didn't know I had?

The problem is some of the background and character shifts don't seem to be grounded in anything. It doesn't matter I guess, it's just Gears, but it's hard to care about the politics and character arcs (and deaths) when when it feels like to blinked for a mili second and missed the justification 

Edit to say, I'd still rather this stuff be there than not I think, even if they've not done a great job of it. Even the characters have started commenting on why there's so many enemies in the middle of nowhere 

See, I've got a skewed look on this now... I've read all of the books multiple times and there's a far better story to the whole shebang than people give it credit for... Yes, there's the argument that you shouldn't have to rely on supplemental material to get the full picture but it is what it is.

I think 5 looses some steam with the story during Act 3 but by christ does it lift itself back up during Act 4... To those who aren't invested in the subject or characters it probably won't matter but for me this was the best campaign so far and that was because of the voice work and acting.

It’s not that I don’t want story in a game but, without spoiling anything, I was just left very confused by their “history” if you like. At the end of Act 2 you get a massive exposition dump and at the end of the conversation I was like...what? Especially when people start pulling guns out I was like wait did something just happen. Because, like, we already fucking knew this right like they have been screaming that plot twist almost the whole way through? 

And then they did the bit after with the dream sequence and I was like ok. I still don’t get why this is significant we already know.

I understand what’s happening to her but they jumped through so many hoops to justify it during the exposition I just started switching off. They try so hard to do something trite that I lost the thread on how they were doing it, even if overall I know what they’re doing. 

Spoiler

She’s one of them oh, no, spoiler

But all the stuff about who the Locusts are, and did the COG create them, or did they try building their own, or did they all spawn from her grandmother, and what genes went in who. All that stuff lost me. Even if the end result is still boo! Kait is a locust queen in the waiting

I finished the campaign yesterday. It's a bit the opposite of Gears 4 which started out rather poorly but got better the further you got. Gears 5 on the other hand has an excellent first half and a not-as-good second half and a rather unimpressive last act. The first skiff area is a welcome change of pace after some heavy moments in the outsider village. It gives both the player and the characters some time to take it all in and it's a visually pleasing setting with pretty ice cliffs and mysterious laboratories and all that. The second time you get to surf around in the desert it feels like it doesn't serve any kind of purpose, which is why I didn't quite like it as much. It didn't annoy or bore me, but I feel like it was misplaced a bit and I expect that segment to really drag down the experience on subsequent playthroughs. Time will tell.

Jack on the other hand is an excellent addition. Stealth, shield, barrier and Shock Frost are great tools to have and they give you a lot of options on how to tackle encounters without diluting the core gameplay loop of Gears. Wardens take a lot of shots to take down but if you freeze them first you can kill them in seconds. However, that means not having Shock Frost available for the dozens or so enemies you fight beforehand. It's a nice balance and I expect him to be even more important on higher difficulties than normal.

The story starts off strong but at the end I felt like it was just stalling. 

Spoiler

It was necessary to go into a bit more detail about Kait even though the ending of 4 already gave a clear message about what was going on. But the story kind of stops right there, bar the weird binary choice at the end which in hindsight I didn't particularly like because The Coalition is probably going to pick a canon ending to build Gears 6 on anyway.

Great game overall, but not flawless. I enjoyed it more than 4 but 4 had a stronger finale so it managed to end on a high note whereas this game's ending is more of a prologue to Gears 6. I really like how The Coalition tries to infuse some new elements into the franchise and I hope 6 continues where this left off with some slight tweaks and improvement along the way.

I really enjoyed the last act, it put me in the mind of 2 or Judgement where these battles were on your doorstep and things were amped up to the max, what with Swarmaks and some of the larger beasts roaming around... For me now, if they can give me a great final game with 6 I'll happily say goodbye to the series.

Maybe a few different genre spinoffs would be nice, I'll already be getting Tactics once it goes to console.

On the subject of other games, and I’ve read the books, pre gears 1 would make an interesting couple of games the books (from memory) have the battles during the civil war, Dom’s early days in the cog, and obv the UIR. There’s also a gap between 4-5 so plenty of material.

Enjoying 5, running it solo but when complete will go back in co-op!

I think I've said a few times but I've no interest in playing through The Pendulum Wars, human on human combat (in this universe) holds no fun... Not when you've got all these big horrible beasties you could be murdering.

I finished act 3 today. I'm still enjoying it but it's started to fall in to the same pitfalls as the older games. 

I know it's been covered but the open world is an illusion. It's not a bad section of the game, but repeating it shatters the effect. It starts to feel like what it is, downtime between encounters, void, it loses the effect of acting as a buffer so it starts to feel like the same fight after fight after fight. 

I've always said Gears 3 did a good job of hiding the combat areas, making the cover not look like cover. By act 3 it's so obvious when there's going to be a fight, particularly when it has you retreading through the same area, area where there's cover you haven't used yet 

I'm not against Gears being all combat, I half think the attempts to hide it only make it seem more predictable, it needs a better flow through it 

Finished this today, enjoyed the campaign as usual for gears, plus it felt a tad short....still think the first ending boss in gears1 has to be the best with the krill in between the attack’s on the train, but a good game! It really didn’t need the decision thing they keep putting in games these days...from memory we couldn’t save Dom could we??