passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Astral Chain

one-armed dwarf

So I started this, played like a 2 hours or so.

It's very anime. It's also way more action RPG than you might expect. Combat is fast but grounded and overall your options seem pretty limited early on anyway. Kind of like Nier Automata. Attack, dodge, attack, dodge etc. So far.

I've not fully worked it out yet. It's hard to learn so far cause theres a lot going on the screen at once and the frame rate is pretty bad. It's got a cool style though. It makes me roll my eyes when people say "X is like Bladerunner" , but this is like that. But anime and not as dark.

EDUSU7IUcAEb4va?format=jpg&name=small

Your "legion" does it's own thing usually, but you can leash it around and have it counters attacks while your cop guy or girl does his own thing too. Like if you see a red beam on the ground then it's a tell for a charge attack. You send your legion over and you can catch them before it hits. Stuff like that seems like it could be cool.

But honestly so far it's pretty mashy and hard to follow. The frame rate is a killer. I am getting D ranks tho so my rubbishness is definitely a factor

Mission 2 boss is cool though.

I like it, but not as much as I thought I would. The game is very hand holdey, after about 4 hours I got to what I would say was the first proper level. I've got the second Pokemon now but haven't had a chance to use it yet. 

I'm just playing on casual so no ranking. The game was like, play on casual and I was like yeah sure, whatever. I might go back and replay levels to get the grade since I think that's their intention anyway. Especially since parts of levels are locked off because the player doesn't have the correct Legatus. Most of the level XP seems to be tied to blasting through as quickly as possible as well. 

I like the story. Everyone is so pretty and serious. Except for some dickhead that dressed up like a dog and followed me for half an hour. Plus there are hidden toilets in the levels and you get various types of toilet paper to give to a toilet fairy. Everything else is incredibly serious and Japanese though, I love it. 

I think there’s a cool game here if I could just work out what the fuck to do. I’ve only finished file 2 on PT Normal and got D ranks on every fight. In some cases I feel like I’m missing a mechanic. The first boss you fight in Hell world took so long I’m sure I wasn’t doing it right.

Also all the enemies do the same trick where they flash when they’re about to attack, and then stop for a brief moment while you dodge and attack after. It’s so obvious what the game is doing but It’s just too instinctual to not move immediately. Add the delay between the two dodge rolls, enemies having multiple attacks to dodge in a row - so even if you get it right the first time whoops, here are two more. And then every now and then an enemy will attack immediately instead of waiting.

I get it, it’s a knowledge thing. You play the game a lot you get used to it. But the tricks are so blatant and anti player it’s not very enjoyable so far. It’s not like a Bayonetta where it’s trying to make the player better it’s just preying on player weakness and eh. 

Also I really dislike the character designs for both the humans and the monsters. But I’m super into the way the world looks and the music is quite cool so some upside. 

I don’t know, I haven’t wrote it off yet but I’m not too far away. I’ll play some more to see if it clicks better.

No, countering is attacking after perfect dodge you knucklehead. Tripping is easy. 

I’m wondering after I was tripping that hell world boss if I should of tied him up after and that would of done more damage? That fight took forever. I also had no idea how to dodge his laser attacks either. Like I did a few times but I had no idea what I was doing. 

The dodging in this game most reminds me of the knife guys in Batman. It’s just really awkward.

Also just an aside, I really, really dislike the idea of the Legions and why they fight and what not. The designer of the game said it was inspired by Pokemon and he really likes that series. But Pokemon doesn’t involve putting chains around things necks and dressing them in battle armour and use as slaves to slay their own species. Pokemon choose to go with the trainer, if they don’t they break out of the ball. Like this is not the same at all. Abstract enough to not be disturbing but still an entirely unlikeable concept.

I give up. At the beginning of mission 3 they want you to go back to the training room. I got up to the MGR slow down slash attack thing and gave up. I just don’t like the combat in this game at all. I knew a character action game with an AI partner would be bad.

I don’t hate it it’s just not for me. Combat wise nothing this game wants to do are things I think are very interesting at all.  

I really like the game apart from the gameplay, the story and the graphics 

Tbh, its not quite what I expected either. Its having me do lots of side quests and fetch quests to forward the game. Very boring stuff.

I bet the fighting is alright, I had no real problem with V. It's just the other stuff is a big obstacle. The Heavy Rain stuff is completely unexpected and something which will stop me from playing this game if every mission has it

See i’m completely onboard with all that stuff. Maybe it gets old but the music in the police HQ is amazing (And reminds me heavily of Persona 3 which is big bonus points in my book) and just the look of the world is so nice. The colours are amazing.