passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Control

Nag

yep. They could have done this, and still charged people, by saying there's a framerate/resolution upgrade for everyone, but if you want ray tracing etc that takes development time so it's a small DLC charge. Not ideal, like when Nintendo charged a small fee for Wii VC games on WiiU, but I think people would be fine with it. As things stand, people who bought the game at launch for full price, bought the DLC at launch for full price, are getting treated worse than those waiting for this cheaper release

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the AWE dlc (it actually stands for Altered World Event, but yes, it is all about Alan Wake). Beyond about 10 minutes last week I've never played an Alan Wake game so a lot of this is lost on me, but it's a cool bit of dlc. The Foundation was decent, but dull to look at, running around some caves, it had a few standout moments but it wasn't anything exciting. It did have a fairly interesting story, something that is either going to feed in to the next Control game or was meant to tie up a few things here. AWE takes place in the more familiar settings of the Oldest House, it's a new area, but it's back to offices and grey.

AWE is a decent length. I'm sure if you just sat down and played it you'd get through it in a few hours, but it's taken me the better part of a week dipping in and out for an hour or so each day, so it's not crazy short. I've still got some sidequests to do too, which I might go and do, I'm a point away from a new power too which is a bit of a pisser, not sure if there's an easy way to get it without finishing everything there is to do in the game, just need 1 more hidden location I guess.

The set up here is that the darkness from Alan Wake is present in the Control universe, anyone who's played Control will know Wake gets referenced there. It's infiltrated the Bureau and mostly is just a lump of black blocking doors or stopping you from getting to key items. They use it to set up some puzzles, simple stuff like shining a torch at it (which have handles but you only hold using telekinesis to show off), or moving lights around.  You also get some boss fights, or the same boss fight kind of. You have to light up a dark room and survive doing it, I won't spoil it, but it's used to break the DLC up in to areas.

The end of the game seems to suggest

Spoiler

that there's a new Alan Wake coming in a couple of years. I don't think it's a direct Control tie in but they're clearly going to be linked

Sounds cool, but alas it's DLC. By the time I'm back "in" the game and used to the controls, it's usually over already. So not worth it without a complete re-run through the game which I'm not quite ready yet.

Maybe I'll buy the Ultimate version for next-gen at some point when it's really cheap. I don't want to support their decision there but if I eventually get the complete package for the price of the DLC I'm ok with it.

• 1 month later...

Why I think it's so cool is no artist sat down and produced that, it's just a side effect of how real time RT works. Objects and materials (and eyeballs) having properties that react to how light moves in a scene.

Which is why it's cool from the point of view of aiding workflows in creating scenes, stuff like that just being automatic. Thing is RT has been used for decades, it's not new so it's not a gimmick. But the fact it works on the fly like this in games is the part that is new.

• 4 weeks later...

How did people find this performed on the One X? Heard a few outlets say it didn’t run that great at all so was thinking of waiting until playing on the PS5 or SX but it’s confirmed on game pass so may play it on the One X if it wasn’t too bad.