passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Control

Nag

So, straight off the bat this game is weird...

IMG_58d5e56f-88fe-4e17-9d48-b3d84773e48e.png

As in... It feels like I've been dumped in to the middle of a story and have no knowledge of what's gone (or going) on. It seems like it's a cross of every recent weird TV show or film from recent times, there's touches of Inception, Lost and God knows what else in here so far.

IMG_5305a116-ab8d-41de-8e14-be620ae5eb38.png

Jesse (the main character) seems fine so far, she handles well enough... Shooting seems a little loose but I've turned off a couple of aim assists so that may explain that, I've only unlocked a couple of abilities (like launch) but that's opened up combat a little... I'm enjoying what I've played so far.

IMG_5fe0d80e-532e-46f7-8bf9-bb9b4fa994f3.png

Oddly, the game this most reminds me of somehow is a Dead Space game but I can't quite put my finger on why... 

I'm definitely interested to see where they take the story in this as so far it's weird as fuck and I have no idea where it's going.

9 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Heard this being compared to House of Leaves. ?

I've no idea what that is...

I'm on Mission Six (been doing side stuff and whatnot)... And unless something happens quickly I'm about ready to write the story off. I enjoyed the stories of Alan Wake and Quantum Break but this is leaving me cold for some reason.

I do enjoy the combat though, which although there's only a select few enemy types generally remains fun... Looking around at the area's you just fought in brings up a surprising amount of structural damage to which is pretty impressive.

I will also say I would not like to be playing this on either base console... Even on the X I'm getting a few too many performance issues.

i only played the start so far but it seemed interesting, ^ shame it sounds like it doesn't really go anywhere. there doesn't seem to be any difficulty options? if not i might leave it for now in the hope a difficulty option gets patched in.

this ray tracing stuff, i don't know, i probably can't even tell, the reflections do look nice though i guess.

27 minutes ago, spatular said:

if not i might leave it for now in the hope a difficulty option gets patched in.

There's been nothing particularly hard in the time I've put in so far... Just keep moving during combat.

House of Leaves is a book about a house which has impossible dimensions and drives people crazy trying to solve the mystery of it @Nag

I just found it interesting to hear it compared to this when I thought it was just another generic Remedy shooter. It made me a little more interested anyway

I am getting near the end of this and what started as me thinking this could be Remedy's best game has just turned into nope, this is exactly the same quality as every other Remedy game. 

As a company they come up with all these great ideas but they can't string it all together to create decent mission design so their games just descend into a complete clusterfuck as they throw more and more enemies at you. I am now at that point and I am really struggling to make progress. To make it worse they have combined their signature "fuck you lmao" design with long, tedious but pretty easy sections of the game with a fuck you at the end so I'm just left mindlessly doing the same section over and over only to die trying the hard bit at the end. 

Doing side missions to see if getting a couple of skill upgrades makes this easier but I doubt it and I'm really close to just elbow dropping this bitch from the top rope straight to CEX. 

I think I'd got up to Mission 7 before going off and concentrating on side missions... Those threw up three boss battles and those are the only thing that's tested my patience so far.

I'll go back and see the end at some point but God knows when that'll be.

Ended up finishing it last night. Did a side mission, upgraded health and boom, done. I think there might be some sort of level based damage scaling since even with the extra health it felt like I was taking way less damage and doing way more damage after getting a few more skills. Like there was some hidden threshold the game wanted me to pass before doing the last mission. Which made the last bit even less satisfying. 

Remedy are such a frustrating studio. Their tech is always so good but they haven't gotten better at story or gameplay ... ever. They still make the same games with the same stories that contain a bunch of really cool ideas and moments but don't gel into a cohesive experience. I'm not surprised this did well critically, the story is the kind of abstruse nonsense designed to make people feel like they are stupid if they don't see some greater meaning behind it and the gameplay is just pure systems without any sort of overarching design or game philosophy. That always seems to get critics hard for some reason. 

The tech was really amazing though. It looked wonderful and even though it ran like complete shit sometimes it was generally fine and worth the trade off in performance. That projector overlay thing they did was really unique and the strength of the lighting was something else. I'm a sucker for brutalism as well so from a visual standpoint I loved everything about the game. 

I'll play Remedy's next game and have the same opinion. 

Yeah I just finished this too, overall enjoyed it, I would say I was really enjoying it, but there are some annoying bits, as mentioned already some of the side missions have annoying bosses then annoying trip back to try them again so some I didn’t bother finishing. And some stuff just isn’t explained well at all.

the combat is pretty fun. It looks really nice, lighting/reflections and stuff like that especially.

theres some funny bits in there, which I wasn’t expecting, mostly in the reading material.

the story I sort of liked it sort of keeps it interesting throughout but maybe 

Spoiler

Doesn’t really go anywhere in the end.

Theres more stuff to do after the end, I had a little look around, but not sure I’ll go back to it.

• 1 month later...

I started this. Sort of feels like a 90s Stephen King mini series or something, gives me vibes of The Langoliers

It feels really low budget but also is ridiculously well rendered. Materials and especially lighting look really good. Which makes me envious of PC RTX people, cause I bet that version of the game looks crazy.

Gameplay seems bad, but maybe I'll drop it to easy if it's a problem cause I mostly just want to see the weird bullshit

The gameplay is the best part of Control, but it is too reliant on some upgrades you'll receive along the way, meaning you'll only reach the full potential a couple of hours before the end. That said I think it already improves drastically after unlocking Dodge and Shield.

The only thing I didn't like are the optional bosses, those are awful through and through.

Taking my time with this. Partly cause it runs really bad once you learn the throwing powers and all the physics effects kick in. But also I like the made for TV vibe of it and don't feel the need to rush

It's very hard to follow the action in this tho. Had a boss which would throw things at all angles and the bad frame rate doesnt help

It reminds me tho of something Shiney said about next gen consoles being kind of pointless. Well clearly they're not if all the debris and environmental damage in this gives current gen such a tough time ?

Runs fine outside firefights at least.

EGtdZ-kX4AUDnsY?format=jpg&name=large

I returned to this today, aside from completely forgetting how to play the damn thing I'd saved pretty close to a optional boss (Former) which I'd already fought once (and hated)... this is the game at its most infuriating.... giant boss you have to look up at who's attacks leave holes in the floor that you can't keep tabs on and end up falling through the fucking platform to insta death... seriously, just fuck off!

Anyway, beat the prick in the end and made a little more progress in to the main story... which I'm completely lost on.?

People should look at the RTX feature Digital Foundry did on this game. Its fucking wild. Everything from the reflections on the floor, the way reflections are clearer against glass looking into a dark room, how an entire room can be reflected off a single coffee pot

It all sounds really trivial but it really sells the idea of stuff being real, and not just a bunch of 3d objects thrown into a series of rooms.

Depending on how things go in my job I am seriously considering getting one of those stupid RTX cards for a pc build