passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sacked That Off Mate

mfnick

2 & 4 are bloody brilliant IMO. Especially 4. Lost Legacy is great too but I think the people who said it’s better than 4 are mental. In fact the indifference - almost backlash towards U4 has always confused the hell out of me. Even after getting almost perfect scores everywhere whenever anyone spoke about it they were a bit “meh”. & people were always quick to say LL was better when that came out which I just never got. 

4 was brilliant, definitely a fitting end to the series.

I seem to remember a lot of reviews at the time of the release of 3 saying the ship graveyard bit was ridiculously unfair. And it definitely is. But I didn’t remember the rest of the game being an absolute ballache.

I don’t like giving up on a game. But I felt more rage in an hour this morning, than I have in ages. In my opinion, I play games for fun. A challenge is one thing. Absolutely taking the piss, is another thing entirely. 

• 4 weeks later...

Far Cry New Dawn. I really enjoyed Far Cry 5 (not so much the DLC). It’s the only game in the franchise that held my interest to the extent that I finished it. So naturally, I was up for giving New Dawn a go soon afterwards.

For the most part, New Dawn is decent enough. But towards the end, it really starts outstaying it’s welcome. For one thing, it locks the story missions behind a mandatory grind for ethanol, a rare currency. Doing story missions themselves doesn’t give you ethanol. You have to grind out capturing outposts. You can then choose to “scavenge” them, meaning enemies take them back. You can recapture them for another ethanol boost, but the problem is the enemies get much stronger, so recapturing it gets harder.

By the time I’d grinded out enough to be reaching what felt like near the end, I was feeling a bit sick of the game. But then it made the fatal mistake of putting in a story mission with a ridiculously tight time limit. “Find this button, or all the hostages die”. Ok, where is the button? “Fuck you. Figure it out in less than two minutes, or you have to do the entire mission again”. 
After several failed attempts, I looked up a guide. Which told me I had multiple parts like this in this mission to slog through.

So I went “bollocks to it” and jacked it in.

I quite liked New Dawn. Not amazing by any means but playable enough. Also I thought the ethanol stuff would be a bother, and it’s certainly padding, but in the end didn’t really find it to be that much of an issue. I don’t want to praise a game for not being as bad as it could of been, but the ethanol grind was Ok. The bases were fun to capture as well. 

I don’t remember any timed missions at all. Or how that game ended? I skipped all of the cutscenes and everything, though. I only really remember bits and pieces of the game. 

Overall I thought it was pretty all right, though. But the last one I played before that was FC3 so maybe that distance helped my tolerance of it.

• 1 month later...

Void Bastards

I gave it a good go due to all the positivity but it’s just not for me. I’m not a fan of rogue likes and loot based games and this is both wrapped up in 1 dull package. All the rogue likes I have ended up enjoying have usually had a specific hook that got me such as the design and trappings of Binding of Isaac, or just the amazing feel and gameplay of Dead Cells but all this seems to have is just collecting the loot and that’s it. Doesn’t feel particularly great or bad to play. I like the visual design but even in my relatively short play time I quickly started spotting the repeating rooms. & the voice acting is terrible, especially the little Juve enemies, they wound me the fuck up. Must have been called a twat by them a 100 times in less than 5 minutes. Just piss off. 

I can see why the people who like loot based games enjoy this as you’re always getting something and it does have a constant progression system which all rogue likes should IMO. But it did nothing for me at all. 

Bloodstained. I tried to like this, I really did. I loved Symphony Of The Night. I like the visual style of this. But it’s just an absolute chore to play. Bosses are extremely frustrating. Regular enemies can decimate your health bar. And all too often, I was left thinking “Where the fuck am I meant to be going”.

In the words of Mr Horse, “No sir, I don’t like it”.

Tried several times to see the end of Tales of Vesperia, but I started to build up an aggressive and irrational dislike of the game. It seemed to be going out of it's way to annoy me. You couldn't get ten yards thru a dungeon without the entire cast stopping for some inane conversation. They just talk and talk.

And after many hours of gameplay the game starts to throw Zelda-esque environmental puzzles at you, but with the annoyances of unavoidable, respawning enemies, and resetting puzzle elements. 

I know full well that this game could have been less than half it's length if they had properly edited the dialogue, and just presented the plot in a normal way. But it's like the writer if this has never seen a movie, wherein character can be established by means of visual traits, mood, even dress - and not by the person in question simply droning on about every aspect of of themselves and their psyche, and how they interpret every act by performed by every other member of the cast - twice.

I'm out.

Haha. Imagine another 6 characters chipping in to that exchange, with at least one of them reminiscing about how cute the girls of the eastern seaboard are, and u have Tales of Vesperia. Except the bomb would be called a blasty blastia.

I felt the same about Tales back on GameCube when I played it. It got ridiculously high scores everywhere and it just bored the piss out of me. Far too much pointless dialogue and just far too anime in the worst way possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

Children of Morta

Lots of positive reviews and it’s on game pass so gave it a go. It’s a roguelike but one of the better ones as it has a constant progression system. But it’s just far too slow. Takes far too many plays to make actual progression, spent a few hours in the first set of levels and got really bored of the scenery by time I finally managed to get through it and the 2nd set is even harder even with the upgrades and levels I’ve gained. Just can’t be arsed. It is relatively fun though and I love the graphic style. Give it a go if you like rogue likes, I’m not a fan of them really anyway apart from the odd ones so you may get a lot more out of it than I did. 

• 1 month later...

Lonely Mountains: Downhill

Eurogamer and Sean at TCGS keep wanking over this and I just do not get it. At all! I just find it so so boring. Could only manage 2 of the mountains and had to delete it. 

it’s on gamepass so give it a go if you like rubbish games. 

i liked that mountain bike game but not at first because i didn't get it, i thought it worked like trials but the checkpoints were too far apart, but it doesn't, you can keep retrying each checkpoint as much as you want to get faster because the overall timer is reset each time you go back to the previous checkpoint - went back to it with that info and enjoyed it, did all the easy challenges anyway. didn't think it was amazing mind.