passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Far Cry 5

mmmark

Asif no one else bought it you lazy set of scoundrels. 

I got this recently for £16 in the sale. I’m glad I got it in the sale, and I don’t mean that as a dig, I just don’t think it’s a massive step up from 4. If you skipped 4 then I can see why you’d think so though and the price would be more justified.

So 5 is 4 with quality of life improvements. That doesn’t make for the most interesting impression read but it’s the truth and if there’s one thing people know about me it’s that I only say the truth. 

The flow though so far seems to be a step up. In 4 you felt pushed to do missions that ended up being smash tv every time. I don’t like that. Enemy onslaughts isn’t fun. In 5 you seem to be in control of the order of what you want to do and when more. I’m sure there’s the onslaught missions but I think the terrain might make it an easier pill to swallow. 

I got the Gold Edition when it was £18 in Argos a couple of weeks ago but I'm waiting to make a little space on my PS4 first.

Far Cry is one of those games that just dominates my attention so I need to wait until I'm a bit more free.

How are the radio towers? I heard they're not essential in this one but they were always part of the game's loop to me.

Far Cry 5 is a really fun game that is adamant in not letting you enjoy it. I loved ordering around the guns to hire to trap a camp in a cross-fire of sniper bullets, or sneaking in alone and taking down every enemy one by one, or releasing a bear right in the middle to cause carnage, or just assaulting a camp head on in a blaze of fury.

But for every fun moment of emergent, player directed gameplay, there was another of the game shoving an encounter in my face or literally abducting me into another story mission and shouting ARE YOU ENJOYING OUR GAME YET at me. You can't walk 30 meters in Far Cry 5 without an enemy encounter. There is no downtime, you're never free to just explore, up until the point where you clear an area of all enemies and that exploring becomes pointless. It's one extreme or the other, never a happy medium. I liberated two of the areas in the game then dropped it in the third, because the relentless interruptions from the game just got too much.

It's silly how unconfident the game is in its own systems, it really shoots itself in the foot. Which is a shame because I think it's great otherwise!

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2019 at 15:04, OrangeRKN said:

Far Cry 5 is a really fun game that is adamant in not letting you enjoy it.

This began to happen so I fcked it off. Enemies driving by and spotting you immediately. Planes way up in the sky somehow spotting you and shooting at you which in turn causes more enemies to appear. Too frustrating and none of the treasure hunting is fun and the side quests are all the same. 

I used to love ubi but they do make mostly the same game over and over now. 

How far in did that happen to you? I've been playing it the last few days and have just done the first 'main' area of the game. I'm not having too much trouble with planes and stuff at the minute, but I'm using my plane-toting gun for hire even when I do.

Right now I'm just having fun blowing shit up, killing shit and exploring shit. It feels like Far Cry-lite though. I know people were pissed with Ubi putting towers in EVERYTHING (Watch Dogs, Ass Creed, Far Cry, don't know what else...), but I always had fun with it. I always enjoyed climbing them. It was always an enjoyable gameplay loop - climb tower, unlock map, explore all icons, next area - but I'm a little gutted they've moved away from it so much.

I'm also not happy at how little I've had to use my bow. Why would I use that when I can just run into an outpost, murder the FUCK out of everything, and any reinforcements that come along, and be done much quicker??

Which leads me to the main thing I REALLY don't like. Why put the wildlife in there if you don't want me to hunt it all down and use it for upgrades? Now it's just a minor annoyance. GIVE ME A REASON TO DO IT DAMMIT!

Anyway... It's a lot more fun than my comments above suggest. It's far cry FFS. The weapons have a nice feedback to them, while makes the gunplay feel good. Some of the graphics are gorgeous. I'm enjoying the music while driving. It's fun and brainless all round. Pottering around in the world is good for quick blasts here and there.

9 hours ago, Nag said:

Oh, and then there's the game basically ambushing you and forcing you to do story missions because you've been tranquilized by a hit squad... Who appear from nowhere and can somehow tranquilize you while you're flying a plane.?

One of these times I was at an airfield and was just indefinitely holding off wave after wave of hitsquads thanks to my guns for hire. Must have held out a good 10 minutes before finally I accepted they would never stop spawning, so I made a run for a plane. Got hit as I took off, so blacked out as I was already climbing high into the sky.

Somehow they must have recovered my sleeping body from the wreckage of the crashed plane, miraculously unhurt!

It’d be good if the whole game had a set amount of ammunition and you started with nothing. They couldn’t just keep spamming the trigger and neither could you. But also not limit how much you could carry. 

Also yes. All those animals just seemed to be used for side missions to kill. The barrels of drugs tossed around grew old quick. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to come back here the last few days and post more about this, but I just don't seem to be able to find the right words to use.

My experience seems to be at odds with everyone else's, and I don't know if it's because I've been playing it differently, or because the annoyances you're all coming across don't bug me as much or what. Yes, it's incredibly generic and formulaic, but it's also been nice to switch my brain off and just enjoy the ride.

Set a mission, be it collectible or mission, hop in a car and hit L3 to autodrive there. Ignore all enemies on the way, hop out, kill everything that moves, rinse and repeat.Two of the main areas are done and I'm slowly working on the third. I actually like the way it drops into story missions as you piss off each zone's boss, even if the way you're thrust into them - even when in a plane - is a bit weird.

The plane enemies don't bother me. The pointless animals do. The missions themselves don't bother me. The pointless fetch quests do (fuck off, vinyls and lighters). 

I dunno, when I'm actually playing it I get really immersed and hours can fly by in an instant. When I'm not, I find excuses not to play. Maybe that's why I've struggled to talk about it.

Had a night to myself last night so dived into this from about 8 pm until I went to bed. Story finished now. Turns out I wasn't far from the end. All I needed to do was finish pissing Jacob and it pushed me into the endgame once he was done. I enjoyed punching him to death.

You know what? For all its faults I really enjoyed this. I think with about 10 hours of busywork cut out it would be up there with the best in the series (which is 3 for me), but as it stands there's just too much - and I say that as a big fan of Ubisoft's 'here's a bajillion things to do' template.Just little things, like blowing up tons of drug running vehicles. Or blowing up random structures. Or blowing up boats. It was just constant. The roads being packed with enemies never bugged me, mainly because I just hit the gas and ignored them, but the checklist of things to destroy did. That's why I ended up mainlining it. I'd had enough of the Prepper Stashes. I'd had enough of the random side missions. I'd had enough of collecting random pointless tidbits.

The story was good fun, although I wish they'd leaned heavier into the political undertones. It was like they had a great idea then got a little scared to go all the way. They could have got so much more out of it. Could have leaned into racism. Or full-on religious zealotry. But they just kind of skirted around the idea of 'religion' running this sleepy town in the mountains.

I think what I've said there covers my feelings on the game itself too - They could have got so much more out of it.

I did have a lot of fun though, and I got the gold edition of the game so I'll be starting the DLC tonight unless I end up on EDF.

Edit: one thing I fucking loved was the little story parts you were forced into with Jacob. Using the song to hypnotise my character was fucking fantastic. I had an actual smile on my face when I heard the song fade in and my vision fade out.

• 4 months later...

I’ve been quite enjoying this recently. I’ve never properly committed to a Far Cry game before, but this seems to be fun. With two exceptions:

Being dragged into story missions when in the middle of something else. It’s happened to me twice now with Faith. I even waited a good few minutes after I hit “level 2” in her area, only for nothing to happen. Then halfway through another mission, abducted with no way of avoiding it.

The cost of everything is pretty ridiculous. It says you can get more money hunting and fishing. But fuck that noise, I’ve no interest in that. 

Other than that, yeah, this is alright.