passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

radiofloyd

Played it for an hour, walked around the monastery talking to the house leaders and each student. I love it so far. The anime cutscenes are beautiful and the music has been very good. A very enjoyable first hour.

Umm, is my copy broken or is there just a fucktonne of talking? I've literally watched two episodes of peep show and done one tiny battle that lasted 7 turns. 

Is this what games are now? 

Don't know if I'm enjoying it, will let you know around Christmas when I've managed to get a few battles in. 

Yeah there is a fuck ton of talking, there’s a strong visual novel/Hogwarts element to the game. 

By the the way I went with Normal difficulty, classic mode. And I chose the Blue Lions house. I demolished the other two houses in the mock battle. On to the next month now.

Had my third session today which was a bit later than expected, but I’m up to about six hours now. More areas in the monastery have opened up, new activities and a lot more of the games’ systems. I’m really enjoying it.

This should be arriving in the post today. @radiofloyd is this a starter Pokemon type situation where I can pump all my resources into a handful of units and power my way through? Or some rich, nuanced bullshit that requires balance and forethought? 

I've not played one properly since The Sacred Stones on GBA, it was one of the most emotionally exhausting gaming experiences of my life. 

Well I’ve fought several battles and there hasn’t been anything difficult on Normal difficulty so far. The game has a “Divine Pulse” feature which allows you to rewind back time, three times per battle, which is pretty generous.

So far I have only used the characters from the House I chose, but you are allowed to request assistance from one character from another house each month. The character that has been helping me this month is a mage that knows offensive and healing spells which is very useful. You can also recruit characters from other houses permanently  but I haven’t met the stat requirements for that yet.

I haven’t talked at all about the features and systems in the game but one cool feature is the Battalion Guild. You can assign a battalion to each character which give various stat boosts and also have their own special “gambit” ability. Battalions level up the more you fight. 

Played about 4 hours today. Went with the ... birds? Whatever that house is called. Wasn't really feeling any of the characters from the other houses so took a good hard look and went with the house that had the hottest characters. Playing on normal, classic. 

Just did the first battle where people can die. No one died. Phew. I like it a lot. So far the AI has been quite aggro so you can bait them into ambushes and stuff which is cool. One of the issues I have with turn based strategy games is that the AI often play too defensively so you're too often left with your pants down trying to close the distance. 

First major complaint. Can we talk about the main character design? What are those sleeves? Absolutely fucking ghastly. I wish they had hired one guy to design just that one coat in the game and he turned out to be a piece of shit instead, so they had to redesign it. God I hate it so much. Disgusting. 

I've enjoyed the stuff in the monetary, it's been pretty light so far but the easy allies review said the characters develop a lot as the story goes on. No one really stands out for anything other than cleavage at the moment but all the people in my house are pretty chill. There is a young girl who sits in her room all the time that is a bit annoying but I have paired her up with another dude for the weekly activities and she seems to be coming out of her shell a bit already. 

I've had a quick look at the battalions but not really sure how to use them yet so it's basically just smack things with stick. 

Early days so not much else to report. For now. 

You went with a different house to me then, I went with the Blue Lions, Dimitri’s house. I like Dedue, Dimitri’s loyal bodyguard. And Mercedes, the girl that promises that she will do anything, anything to help...

8 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

And Mercedes, the girl that promises that she will do anything, anything to help...

BVXDnwZuSJcqc.gif

I believe Dorothea made similar promises. As a man of distinguished tastes though I have my heart set on Manuela. She seems so smart. 

I hired the girl that looks like a ginger Chie, the one trying to get your dad to do a statutory. 

Getting close to around 10 hours now and still enjoying it. There are a few things that are weird, I say weird because they aren't bad, but only not bad because it has been done intentionally. My main gripe comes down to the main character and your place in the world. All of the tutorials are delivered through your students and the game never gives you the impression that you are really doing anything. The story and gameplay both feed into this as you gain XP with the students and can visit lectures of other professors. I guess this is done because of the Persona social links type stuff. Might come off as a bit creepy if you played as Jeralt and you're out there drinking alcopops and throwing up gang signs with the other kids.  

The environments are kind of arse as well. One scene had a couple of characters run out of the monastery and comment on how beautiful the sun was. Then the camera shows this complete clusterfuck of low res textures, one of which was just a solid rectangle sitting in the middle of other textures. I think they should have just gone hand drawn for the backgrounds as that would have fit the anime stylings. 

Just minor stuff though. Still very much enjoying the game. Just did a quick test and let the AI take all my turns for me to make sure that I was actually playing well. I think either two or three of the characters died almost immediately. So that's nice. 

Also, that 'shy' girl can go straight into the trash with the protagonists coat arms. Awful. Tempted to murder her but she's the only archer I currently have. 

I'm at a point now where everyone is over level 5 and a lot are about to hit level 10. Are you switching class or hanging around until you hit the class mastery? I'm not sure what the benefit of either one is. I'm also not sure what the upgrades actually mean. Does +2sword mean it would go up two ranks, so from D to C for example? Or just give you two points to the next rank? 

At the moment I'm leaning towards changing class whenever possible since there is a fairly noticeable difference between beginner and intermediate classes, so I imagine the same will apply for advanced and so on. Edelgard became pretty much unlikable when I made her armoured knight. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. Past the 20 hour mark on this now. Just had my first tea party lol. I picked the wrong conversation options... Also had my first tournament which my character won easily.

My characters are level 7-9 so none of my characters have taken an intermediate test yet. I’m not sure about the class benefits if that’s what you mean, I’ll have a look at it tomorrow.  

I'm at 30 hours now so I've figured all that out. If you max out a class you gain a skill to equip which have various benefits but none of them really outweigh the extra growth you get by levelling within an advanced class. Plus you can unlock increased class growth later in the game so it's more efficient to go back to old classes later on if you want the abilities. 

Gotten most of my characters now onto an intermediate class and have unlocked some new stuff like renown, adjucants and the blacksmith. Did two auxiliary battles this month. Battling is still the highlight of the game, there’s a stark contrast between the zippy battles and the sedate pace of the rest of the game. I love activating Gambit Boost attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to 35 hours now. My character levels are around 13-18. Most of them their main skill is at rank B, and the support level between characters is at B or C. I’m thoroughly enjoying it, although I would say it’s a game where the component parts sort of co-exist clumsily rather than gel together.