passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sky: Children of the Light

Maf

So this escaped my attention but they put out a spiritual sequel to Journey on IOS. I just played the first 20-30 minutes on my iPad. 

I don’t know how I feel about it. On the one hand it’s surprising just how like Journey it is. The sliding down hills, meditating/praying at statues, a jump meter that needs to be refilled, seeing other people in the world. Like it’s a sequel to Journey in the same way Dark Souls is a sequel to Demons Souls. It’s a different name, and some stuff is different, but at it’s core it’s all there.

It looks really nice as well. I really loved Journey and played through it multiple times, but immediately rolling green hills and big, fluffy clouds is just more pleasant and eye catching than a desert. 

The only problem for me is the controls. Granted I don’t play iPad games ever, in fact I think this might be the first game I’ve ever played with thumbs on the screen trying to imitate control sticks. And even though it works quite well, it’s a bit too messy and requires a bit too much thinking about and takes me out of the experience.

The game is free but with MTX. I didn’t see anything that asked me to pay, but right off the bat you can see all the places they will want you to pay. For emotes, for cosmentics, to refill your jump, etc. First 30 minutes I didn’t even have the option to pay for anything but I don’t know how that will play out.

It looks amazing, I love this studio’s games, I love that you can fly in this game in controlled spaces (and nearly 30 years on they still take influence from Mario World with how the cape works). I just wish I was playing it on PS4 or something. It seems really cool but I don’t want to play it like this.