passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

OCH

4 hours ago, Nabby9 said:

I'm hoping to get this finished over the weekend so i can trade it in or sell it.  Have been massively disappointed but I'm near the end now so going to finish it, I have no desire to play it again though.

So what did it for you?

@OCH for me it's disappointing in nearly everything it tries to do.  I do think the standout thing though is how unsatisfying the combat is, it feels hollow & there is no real weight to your attacks or special moves.  There's not enough variation between character classes to make you want vary who you play with or experiment with team make ups.

The progression system is pretty one dimensional with your special moves just getting more powerful but so do the normal enemies so it doesn't really feel that you have made any progress.  The ISO-8 stuff again makes a bit of difference but nothing worth experimenting with during the campaign, I heard this makes more of a difference during the Infinity Tails but its not fun or deep enough to want to go through these.

The story is pretty much throw away rehash of the Thanos/Infinity Stone arch  & introduces new characters as you go but I don't really want to use them as I've got used to my team & been levelling them up.

Basically if I want to play this sort of game I'll play Diablo III as it does everything better, deeper & feels much more satisfying & fun to play. 

Couldn't agree more with all of that. To me the only one that actually conveyed any kid of weight or substance to his attacks was the Hulk. I think it highlighted the problem in the first X-Men cutscene. Cyclops launches a Sentinel into the air and blows it up with one Optic Blast. In game, such attacks don't exist. Whereas they did in all the previous games. This game missed the mark far more than it got right.

Yeah exactly that & I've ended up using Hulk all the time for exactly the same reason.  I have found the game more difficult against mobs of standard enemies than against the bosses, especially the grenade guys & snipers, which is just wrong.

2 hours ago, Nabby9 said:

Yeah exactly that & I've ended up using Hulk all the time for exactly the same reason.  I have found the game more difficult against mobs of standard enemies than against the bosses, especially the grenade guys & snipers, which is just wrong.

Yeah, it is like they didn't take any notice of how the previous games worked, beyond the superficial.

I got this and played it with 2 friends at the weekend. We started Friday night at about 9pm, didn't stop until 5am, then finished the rest of the game Saturday afternoon.

The camera is god-awful, but had an absolute blast playing the game in general!

• 3 years later...

I was scrolling through my Switch game library last night, saw the thumbnail for this, and one of those impulse urges kicked in to give it a go.

The only difference is this time I'm playing on easy because I remember this game being too hard and a bit busted in terms of character levels. Even on easy this game is quite hard, though. Just almost died at the Ultron boss fight because an AoE attack took down 3 of my bitches at the same time. 

I've now completed level 3 and bought the expansion pass. I don't know why but it's clicking with me this time. 

Playing through it again the bosses have some cool variety too them (although unfortunately the last 2 have been damage sponges, hopefully they bring some cool gimmicks back soon).

They really put the effort in on the level design and try to do cool stuff within the limits of this type of game. The Hand level for example is really cool with great backgrounds, scenery and gameplay styles.

I found some basic but fun juggle combos on some characters, and am understanding that light and heavy attacks are more about quick attacks to keep enemies stun locked or to apply stagger. This is not a deep system but seeing the way it connects and seeing this game was made by Team Ninja it's like oh. This is button mashy but with some kind of key mechanics. 

I'm also avoiding doing any of the challenge room stuff which dragged the game down for me last time. Maybe once my characters are too over levelled for them I'll go back and give it ago. But right now I just want to get on and enjoy the story.

Which is certainly one of the weaker aspects to the game. Most of these games have had pretty decent stories from X-Men Legends 2  to MUA2 which had a fun take on Civil War. This is just MCU/Marvel Comic Book Reference: The Game. It's as superficial as possible with Doc Ock saying 'Superior' 3 times in 30 seconds and Hawkeye shoots an arrow with Ant-Man on the top of it just like the movie. I wish it had some kind of meat to it like previous games. But it's fun for what it is and the fact it's making references every 3 seconds - they did their research at least. 

I'm curious to who the voice actors are. The heroes are voiced pretty decently. 

The character designs in this game are also pretty great. Look at these characters. They look better than they do in MvC4

FfISqNtaYAEAtWn?format=jpg&name=small

FfISqNiakAAXe_I?format=jpg&name=small

FfISqNsaEAALINJ?format=jpg&name=small

It's still the weakest game of the series so far including all the way back to the X-Men games on Xbox. But my enjoyment of it is way higher than before. When I first played this game I was like it's a 2/10 but right now I'm at a good 7/10. So still not the greatest but liking it much more

No, I take it back I can't complete this. Even on easy and looking up help on game mechanics and only using my highest level characters all the time I just can't do it. 

I just don't know what I'm supposed to do. I just lost 4 times to a hallway of basic enemies 

I’m lost as to why the game is so hard. It’s a Marvel mash-em-up game. Why is it one of the top 5 hardest games of all time? I’m being real as well. Throw any difficult game at me, MUA3 will make it eat shit. This is easy mode and I still can’t do it/ 

I just don’t get it. It’s putting me in a low mood that I’m beaten up by such a nothing game. I can’t believe it’s this hard. 

Imagine making a Marvel game where the key selling point is play as all the heroes and then punishing you for not only playing the highest level characters it gives you. I can’t remember why this wasn’t a problem in the old games. Did characters all level up at the same time even if they weren’t used? 

Googling stuff other people are saying it’s hard as well, but not many. Most people seem to be getting on and enjoying it. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. 

Finished the game. I don't know. I kind of like it. I also admire that you do have to play it and really think about how to best manage each situation and such. It's really pulling skills and game strategies from all over the place. Dark Souls patience and boss attack memorisation, RPG battle team management with all the meters and trying to time character attacks, and general brawler gameplay of mashing but respect you have to block, dodge and run sometimes. It's really fucking crazy. I kind of like it pushes the player so hard. But also I would like all this stuff but toned down a bit? It's not a Dark Souls game it's Marvel shit. 

It's also annoying because I want to use characters that best suit each location. But after the Wakanda level my team became Cap America, Black Panther and Storm. Cap has great stagger and team buff abilities, Black Panther has great stagger and damage abilities and Storm I just use Ice Barrage over and over. Not technically an AoE but covers great range and does massive damage. 

But it would have been nice to use other characters. 

I dunno. I kind of like it, i just wish it was a bit easier and not so bullshit and all characters levelled up at the same time. 

Definitely a better experience than the first time I played it, though, despite the small wobble this afternoon. The key thing I found out is when an enemy has been staggered then you have to use an Extreme Attack or a Synergy attack to actually stun them and then try inflict damage. That is the strategy, but it's still not as easy as I would like. Sometimes character's just aren't around to do Synergy attacks. If a boss set off some crazy attack while they're staggered their attack continues so can still be pushed away from them or miss an opportunity to stagger because of some bullshit. Even when it goes right the damage is never as huge or as satisfying and I'd want it to be. It is the strategy. But it still wasn't the secret to making this game less tilting to play. 

I like it but, man. Just too difficult for it's own good. 

Now I’m trying to do the DLC and getting destroyed by platforming challenges. What were they thinking? It’s pure chaos.

I’m dying/ I’m dying to speak to a developer and ask what we’re you thinking> did you just not give a fuck or did they really think this was a good idea.

Still easy mode by the way 

Finally managed to complete the DLC packs (Well, at least the bits that rewards new characters. There’s all kinds of confusing modes in here I haven’t messed with)

Managed to put together a villain team

FfYLko6agAA5QFZ?format=jpg&name=large

Thanos and Loki are the last two unlockable characters but the mission to get Thanos is a lv 65 mission and my FF team that are all closing in on lv60 struggle LIKE FUCK in lv30-lv40 missions. So I don’t think I can go any further. Haven’t played a game that made me scream at it since maybe Forbidden West, I think.

I’m being repetitive but I actually think this game is cool, o just can’t believe it’s sp hard, and I can’t believe nearly every where on the internet is saying this game ain’t shit. What version of it are they playing?

Anyway. May see if I can do a bit more but that might be it for me. Finally unlocked Phoenix so should try her out a little bit.

Fucking hell that was tough.

• 7 months later...