passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

OCH

Another hour and the first issue with the game has reared it's head: The camera. Previously the series had an isometric view, wherein camera collision wasn't really an issue. Within the smaller confines of the second level, a prison with narrow hallways, on more than one occasion it got stuck. Against a wall. In a ceiling. Providing the levels stay relatively open, I don't see it being an issue. But as secrets are in some places well hidden, having a camera that doesn't enable you to see that cracked wall or context breakable door, is a bit of a nuisance.

The bosses have been quite fun and varied so far. Which is always a plus.

13 hours ago, OCH said:

Another hour and the first issue with the game has reared it's head: The camera. Previously the series had an isometric view, wherein camera collision wasn't really an issue. Within the smaller confines of the second level, a prison with narrow hallways, on more than one occasion it got stuck. Against a wall. In a ceiling. Providing the levels stay relatively open, I don't see it being an issue. But as secrets are in some places well hidden, having a camera that doesn't enable you to see that cracked wall or context breakable door, is a bit of a nuisance.

I thought you could choose between the classic isometric camera or free-control camera? In local co-op at least it has to be isometric, right?

I just realised this doesn’t have Vision as a playable character so I can’t play the game like it was a sequel to Captain America and the Avengers

Maybe I sub in Scarlet Witch and head cannon that some shit went down inbetween 

10 hours ago, OrangeRKN said:

I thought you could choose between the classic isometric camera or free-control camera? In local co-op at least it has to be isometric, right?

For the camera, not as far as I see. There are specific scenes wherein the camera locks into place, in a 2D Streets of Rage way. So it is relatively stylised. Outside of those scenes, you can adjust it with the right stick, but it does still catch on things. 

When it comes to the Co-op options, I wouldn't know I'm afraid. For that answer. you'll likely have to wait for one of the others buying the game to test that out.

Meanwhile,

Another hour or so in, I've swapped out Drax for Daredevil. The fact that Chapter 3 is geared towards the Marvel Knights Netflix Defenders, was an interesting change of pace. What fan of those shows doesn't love the Hand Ninjas?

Team:

Star Lord

Hulk

Daredevil

Wolverine

All level 14

Fucking hell.

I finally managed to do the Spider-Man Infinity Trial and Jesus H Christ. I just can’t believe how bad this game is!!

I don’t even know where to start. Top to bottom, start to finish, this game is terrible. Everything from core mechanics like lock on to to the simplest of design oversights like no restart mission option in the Infinity Trials. If you want to restart it’s 6 buttons and 2 loading screens. 

Even away from the game side and just looking at the Marvel representation it is just bizarre. It references both movies and comics and has nothing original to do with either. This game might have a tonne of characters but they’re all so obviously built out of the same blocks, so they all just feel like remixes of each other. Even something as simple as alternate costumes doesn’t exist, they’re just palette swaps. Not that this game is living or dying but it’s costume choices but a superhero game without alternate skins? I just keep coming back to the word bizarre all the time. 

One of the key key ways to attack in the game is too combine one superhero’s powers with another for a team attack essentially. Some missions are even built around it. But outside of just spamming them it’s wholly unusable in single player because it’s so RNG dependant. Another character has to be next to the one you’re controlling, they have to have mana, and if 2 characters are next to you and both of them can do team attacks with you then you don’t get to pick. It’s just whatever icon is flashing above your head. So maybe it works in multiplayer but strategy is just not possible. 

This game for me has one of two modes. It’s either boring as fuck and basically plays itself. Because I can’t see wh’s happening on screen most of the time it’s more just walking my team into bad guys and spamming attacks until I run out of mana, then switch to another character that still has juice and rinse and repeat until hopefully by the time I get round to the first person they have built some mana back up. 

Or the game gets really hard and it is infuriating. I have not got angry at a game like I have got angry at this for a very long time. 

This is inexcusable, irredeemable, hot fucking trash and this game sits right beside Sonic Forces as the worst game I’ve played in like 3 years. The only thing I’m thinking about now is which one is worse. Somehow Sonic Forces is probably even less competent than this but at least it’s easy and only 4 hours long. 

Wow. Blown away by just how utter fucking bullshit this package is soup to nuts

I'd agree with most of that. Lock on, for example, doesn't seem to be controllable by the player. Often times your abilities will shoot in the direction you are facing, not at the enemies ahead of you. That is especially noticeable with the extreme combo attacks, wherein only one or two players max are actually hitting something.

You also can't really tout "over 30 characters" when most are palette swaps. How bizarre is it that Wolverine is a reskin of Drax??? 

I haven't played this in a couple days and I'm not exactly itching to return to it. I'll stick with it til I finish it, but I'm not waiting for DLC. There are some interesting design choices in this game (the block, dodge etc) that could have worked better in a different third person action game, based on Marvel. As an Ultimate Alliance title though, it is mediocre at best. It also acts like its own universe where the other games aren't referenced, didn't happen. Which as they gave it the '3' in the title, is beyond strange.

Also why they only put 3 Champions in the game, I don’t know. I wish they had put in Iron Heart, Wasp (Nadia) or Nova (Sam) so I could play as the Champions because that team is really cool. 

It’s clearly not that difficult when the characters are all made out of the same parts. And instead they picked 3 of them 2 of which are Spider characters ?‍♂️ 

They even have ‘Champions’ in their as stat boosts when you pick all 3 of them so they’re clearly aware 

On 19/07/2019 at 20:13, OCH said:

For the camera, not as far as I see. There are specific scenes wherein the camera locks into place, in a 2D Streets of Rage way. So it is relatively stylised. Outside of those scenes, you can adjust it with the right stick, but it does still catch on things.

A quick search tells me you can change the camera to isometric ("classic"): https://twinfinite.net/2019/07/marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-change-camera-angle-how/

Sounds like it might help a few of you. There's no lock-on in classic view for example.

I played through the X-Men level today and got some of those characters. It’s so annoying when they show you cool characters and then you can’t use them. It’s like why do that, man? Lol

Is it just me or do the girl characters get knocked down like sacks of shit? I don’t know if it’s coincidence or what but Scarlet Witch, Wasp and Psylocke are always almost dead as soon as things get rough. But Hulk and Wolverine and whoever else are happy as Larry just standing around not doing anything, getting hit a bunch and not giving a shit. 

I also let loose a 4 way extreme attack in portable mode and it was like watching a slide show but with a bunch of slides missing 

I was a little pissed how short the X-Men level is, given how long and drawn out that lame Avengers level before it seemed. I must admit I have just stuck with my previous team now. Everyone else seems so samey, I really can't be bothered to try them out.

Also used the cubes to focus on levelling up Hulk. At level 25 now and he is insanely powerful. Also his abilities are, unlikely practically everyone else, really weighty and satisfying when they hit. Granted the other three members of my team aren't too behind at level 23. The 'unwinnable' battles were actually insulting to the point they should have just been cutscenes and not wasted gameplay on them.

Do you know what isn't fun? Teeming enemy mobs in teeny tiny arenas, while adding a context sensitive objective.

So far, I'd say Dark Dimension is one of the worst areas in the game. It is basically Horde Mode: The Level. Which wouldn't be an issue with the aforementioned mini objective. That being, you have to find a tiny Macguffin to use to progress to the next screen. The problem with this? The absolute chaos of the tiny arenas bursting at the seams with ability generated flashy lights, explosions and a 1001 enemies... It is both hard to see the Macguffins and worse still, you can't be hit with physical attacks while holding them.

Decided to call this session early for today...?

That’s it, I’m done. I can not stomach this nightmare game anymore. This is one of the worst games I’ve ever played and I can’t even try to survive another fight in it. I could sit here all day and never quite be able to detail how much I hate this, and no overstating, everything about it. There’s not a grain of this game that I can find that I can say something even remotely neutral about. It is hell. 

I'm hoping to get this finished over the weekend so i can trade it in or sell it.  Have been massively disappointed but I'm near the end now so going to finish it, I have no desire to play it again though.