passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Maker 2

DisturbedSwan

Unforgivably the internet can’t find me a Gif or picture of a Thwomp with a parachute attached to it but it’s one of my new favourite things from this game. Not only do people use it in spectacular acts of trolling but also it’s just kind of funny how Thwomps are so angry and all they want to do is Thwomp Mario, and now the parachute is reducing their speed and it’s like they’re even angrier  ?

I know that personally but it doesn’t hurt to draw attention to it.

i just dropped the codes for the sake of it. Maybe Nintendo read this forum and need someone to make average to bad levels for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t played a second of this but have been watching 30 minutes or so every day on YT and this game is...I don’t know. It is absolutely brilliant in terms of how much people can make out of this game with the level building. Like yes there’s LBP and Dreams coming and no doubt endless create your own shit on PC or whatever, but the fact this game is Mario makes some of these levels seem even more insane because you would never see anything like this in a real Mario game, so there’s surprise in familiarity, But also it’s almost more impressive how much creativity people have because the toolset is really quite limited. Like it’s just Mario shit. And all the levels are just rejigged Mario shit. And everyday there’s more stuff that if I was making a level I would never even come close to think to do. 

And that’s the whole reason why I... in the beginning. Because, and this isn’t new for any of these games but this is the first one I’ve followed at all, this is a pure spectator game. I would never be clever enough to build the best shit, I would never be skilled enough to play the best shit. Because a lot of these levels are down right bonkers. 

So like, how do you rate a game that’s at it’s best when you just watch it and never play it, and know that if you did put your hands on it you’d have a real shit time because you could never do the cool stuff. I don’t know. But this game succeeds and surpasses so many other games at comedy, intelligence, twitch reflexes and our video game skill. But only if you never go near it.

Skip to 19:50 or something for buck wild box juggling bullshit

Pretty much feel the same. Apart from watching videos everyday, don’t do that. I do really enjoy watching the GB stuff though (including the first), their ‘get on my level’ feature was really good. And the game is undeniably brilliant. But I’ve zero interest in playing it. 

I made the mistake of buying the first, and sold on again after a couple of weeks. Like all these create games I’m just not good enough or interested in making levels myself and finding and playing the good levels takes far too much effort on my part for my liking. I just can’t be arsed searching for them and inputting the codes just to get a handful of interesting levels, then having to wait for some more to be discovered. A lot of the best levels are too hard for me too. I want to switch on the game and play the good shit with no external effort. The levels the game serves up itself are usually 99.9% wank. The Nintendo levels in these are far more basic and gimmick based than I’d like too so they’re no good either. Give me a proper main Mario game any day (apart from the ‘New’ series, that can get fucked)

Huge respect to the good creators though. Some of them are genius. And if you don’t mind wading through the crap there’s loads to like. 

The Nintendo levels in Mario Maker 2 are good. They're short and gimmicky for the most part yes (I don't think that's a bad thing, gimmicky == inventive, and inventive is Nintendo at their best), but there's 120+ of them. There's a good few hours of content there. The first Mario Maker didn't have anything like the sequel's singleplayer mode so I don't think you can compare (unless you played the 3DS version that did).

That may be the case, but personally I just prefer levels based on good platforming rather than puzzles and gimmicks. 

Ill give it a go if it ever drops in price, but being Nintendo, not likely to happen unfortunately. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like there’s a big, free update coming to the 4th or 5th best game of the year.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-12-02-super-mario-maker-2s-zelda-update-lets-you-wield-the-master-sword

Includes a new speedrun mode, new enemies and new items and now Zelda stuff is being introduced as well. You get to turn into Link and fire arrows and have a small dash attack. Sounds great!

Drops December 5th 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...