passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Maker 2

DisturbedSwan

This has probably been the biggest surprise of the year so far for me, this game is incredible.

I’ve never much been one for making levels or anything like that and the most I’ve dabbled before was way back when I was a kid in Rollercoaster Tycoon and more recently with some of the LBP and Trials series tutorials and such. So going into this the making aspect is probably what got me most excited about the game but also apprehensive as I really didn’t know if I’d bounce off it again like I have done in the past, I just don’t consider myself a very creative person and am always more likely to enjoy levels made by others than actually be any good at creating my own.

There’s just so many other layers to it than that though. It feels amazing to just play other people’s levels that they’ve shared on an FB Group or forum, I can’t quite describe it but playing through a level and admiring the work of someone else approachable and ‘real’ not some pro level designer feels so uplifting and joyous.

I’ve only played a little of the story mode but from what I’ve played it’s another excellent 2D Mario game. It’s clever how they implement ideas from the Maker template to inspire you and get you thinking about how you can implement little bits and pieces from their Pro courses into yours.

Then you can play in co-op with others online and against them which is just fun silly nonsense really. There are frustrating moments when you may lack the coordination to get past a puzzle and eventually have to give up but it’s just such a nice change of pace and another layer of depth the game has.

I think the most amazing thing about the game is how creative it’s made me feel, playing through other people’s levels, playing the story mode’s levels or tinkering about in the Maker mode just gives me so many ideas for so many new levels I can create and how I can improve my level design skills and get better.

Even when I’m not playing the game I find myself thinking about ways I could do a pipe level, a runner type level, a car level and things like that. To make someone who wasn’t creative in the slightest before think creatively about level design for the very first time is damn incredible, it has been quite the revelation for me this game and awakened a side of me I didn’t really know existed before.

My two courses if anyone wants to try them out:

7D125A67-779A-4C6A-987C-D1283F6A0DF8.jpegBA62A07C-42E2-425F-9A1B-A7361631598A.jpeg

Quick video of one here:

11 hours ago, Blakey said:

My two courses if anyone wants to try them out

I'll give these a play and follow you as a creator tonight!

I only got this last night and spent most of my time so far making my first level (KYM-RJP-J2G for anyone interested), so I'm going to properly get into the story levels later as they do seem good and inventive, as you say.

Over on GRcade there is a webpage/tool for sharing levels, if you're interested: grcade.co.uk/mariomakers/

Bought this the other day but barely had chance to play it because the little ‘un is on it all the time.

Very impressed with it from what I’ve seen, so once I get a go I’ll try your levels @OrangeRKN  and @Blakey

Little ‘un uploaded his first level the other day if anyone fancies giving it a whirl. Code is:

YCK-B96-RXG

Please be merciful though, he is only 8 years old ?

Played your levels just now @Middle_Class_Hero, really impressive! Particularly the boss rush one, great level design in there and was tougher than I thought! 

Played yours the other day @OrangeRKN and really enjoyed it too, I really want to play around with the on/off switch, pipes and car next to create a level.

I also want to create the level Marble Zone from Sonic 1 on there but think I need to sketch that out before I actually commit to it.

I'll finally get round to giving this ago tonight so will try everyone's own levels a try.

I'm not the most creative so will be interesting to see how I get on with the level maker but should be fun.

Looking forward to seeing what you create @Nabby9 :) 

I made another Level earlier. I attempted my remake of Marble Zone 1 from Sonic 1 and it didn't really go to plan ? I couldn't find a lot of the right bits and pieces to replicate what was in the Sonic stage so I just ended up improvising with what I had really. I definitely think it's probably the worst stage I've created so far as the others have had a clear focus to them whereas this was a bit all over the shop haha, but here it is anyway:

D-teLW7UEAInrE-.jpg

7 hours ago, Blakey said:

Played your levels just now @Middle_Class_Hero, really

impressive! Particularly the boss rush one, great level design in there and was tougher than I thought! 

Cheers mate, although it’s the little ‘un who made it so I’ll give him the plaudits. He had very little help from me, but I reckon he must have got some ideas from the YouTubers he watches.

He’s had quite a lot of positive response about that level which is lovely. It’s great for kids nowadays - that they can produce something, publish it easily, and get feedback on it from all over the world. Nothing like that existed in my day.

@Blakey Really enjoyed your stages. They were just the right level of difficulty - tough, but didn’t push it or take the piss so that they became unenjoyable. Took me a bit to get used to the cat one as I never played 3-D World, so wasn’t really sure how the cat suit worked. Cracked it though, so it’s all good.

@OrangeRKN Good stuff mate. Was nice to have a proper razz about in the car. Previous to yours, i’d tried a few stages that included the car, but they didn’t implement it into the course design properly. Yours was the first to not use it just for the sake of it, and it actually played like a sort of 2-D racetrack. Enjoyed it a lot.

12 hours ago, illdog said:

@Blakey I see you got the world record on Beat the Shell so i returned the compliment on Cats in Trees. I liked it, once i figured out what the fuck to do. I can do it faster too, i know it...

So I’ve been dethroned?! CURSES ?

I’ll give your stage a go @illdog just to show there’s no hard feelings ?

I made my first level this evening. Nothing special, just a traditional SMW stage but with a couple small secrets. I might go back and add stuff to it at some point.

KB0-J3Q-MHG

First time I've ever gone into the making section of a Mario Maker. It's quite cool.