passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Virtua Racing

Hendo

All these years later, and I finally get to play this, after coveting the super expensive MD cart when it came out.

I never played it in the arcade or on an emulator, so the Switch version is my first experience of this.

Firstly, really impressed with how it runs. I've heard that this 60fps was not on the arcade original but it's bloody smooth as silk.

I was expecting it to look really old but it actually looks really stylish and I could imagine someone making a new game in this style and it looking equally great.

The only time it looks bad is when you change the view to cockpit view and the amount of frames of animation for turning the wheel is comically low. 

Only 6 quid as well. A reasonably priced port that they've done a great job with.

I got this too, played it a load last night, really enjoyed it. Was also impressed with how smooth it is, wonder if they could do similar to stunt race fx... it’s my first time playing this so no rose tints, but yeah I won all the races last night so there isn’t much more to do except for timetrialling, I think I will play it a bit more, do some time trials and stuff. But yeah it’s good fun.

edit - oh yeah the women casually walking off the track as the race starts is pretty funny, as is all the animation really.

The handling in it is more advanced than I was expecting so that was a nice surprise.  Seems like getting good enough times to finish the races is gonna take some real control. 

I got it as a historic curiosity but I'm enjoying it.  It does look great, even those wierd humanoids which I guess are meant to be people have a charm to them. 

I've only done the first race so far.  Nearly finished the second but some idiot drove infront of me and made me crash so I lost.  I do think I may be being a bit too conservative around the corners as well. 

10 hours ago, Nag said:

Not having a pop or anything but stuff like this must require a certain amount of rose tints surely? 

For me, nope.

I remember seeing screenshots but I’m not sure I ever saw it running. Certainly never played it before.

It runs really well and as someone who never played it back then, I’d say it holds up.

I’ve been trying to improve my time on the first track and got some tips from a friend/the internet - use manual gears (you don’t have to change gear on the first track anyway), slipstream the AI, switch handling to arcade (or whatever the opposite of the default is) and roll the stick around the top to make small adjustments to the steering, also don’t brake just hammer the accelerator on/off instead. I’ve gone a bit faster but am still rubbish at the last corner. Shame about no friends filter on the leaderboards.

I tried an online match the other day.

It took ages to connect to anyone and then there was really noticeable lag. Not the opponent zipping round the track lag, but a noticeable difference between the time of pressing the steering one way or the other and then the car actually moving that direction.