passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

I always thought the sequels were universally hated because they diluted the overall plot and themes of the original. Interesting to see how they're looked upon more fondly now, maybe due to the fact that there hasn't been anything comparably original from Hollywood in quite some time?

I never had any particular attachment towards the series so I can't really speak for myself. I liked, but not loved the first one and was indifferent about the rest. Will probably watch 4 if it turns out ok though.

The sequels dived much more deeply into its lore over the original which is a great action film with a cool premise but doesn't go much further than that where the sequels get, arguably, a bit indulgent.  But I really liked the premise so I'm willing to indulge in it too.  It took me a few years to get into Revelations as it is more about the world than the action you may expect.

But I do agree that maybe the turn around on it is tied to there still being little like it.  Lots took the aesthetic but not the weird esoteric sci-fi.  I think Equilibrium is a solid Matrix-like as there is some substance to it too, but apart from that

If anyone visits the 'whatisthematrix' website you can see teaser clips of the new film. There's a bunch of stuff which seems like obvious callbacks: dude with mouth glueing together, scene with cops shining lights on a hacker that looks like trinity, a scene which resembles when morpheus got punched a bunch by some agents. If the film is called Matrix Resurrections I wonder if the whole plot is about people emulating the original characters from the old films, like the program is rebooting itself and re-iterating over old scenarios but leading to different results. Kinda like a Rebuild of Evangelion type thing, you know those Wachowskis like their anime stuff.

That's just a thing that comes to mind anyway, I've not tried to harvest the internet for theories or anything. The more obvious take is they just put in stuff like that to tickle nostalgia

edit they also have a lobby scene and a scene of a helicopter chasing people on a roof

Me and the missus did a watch of the Trilogy earlier this year (or late last year), she'd never seen Reloaded or Revolutions.

The first film really holds up well, still a great movie. We both liked Reloaded and Revolutions too but they're a bit more 'popcorn flick', something easy to put on and watch then forget about whilst eating dinner or something than the first film, but, yeah, we still enjoyed them.

Looking forward to Resurrections.

While I do still love the trilogy as a whole. The first one has aged the best. I think the more lower budget vibe to it, actually helped. For example, the Smith(s) vs. Neo scene in the park in Reloaded, looks horrible now. I remember thinking it didn't look great watching it at the cinema the first time. In contrast, the lobby scene still looks fantastic. I am anxious about a return ( much like I am with the Dexter revival). Bu I do still try to rewatch the first film and Animatrix, especially, every couple of years. The OH has never seen the Matrix, so I keep an eye out for cinema screenings for that one too.

I still defend that multi-Smith fight scene.  The models don't look good now, and were even off putting at the time but I still think the general animation and direction is fun.  It even has a dominos falling down SFX and a bowling strike at one point.  It was always meant to be pretty goofy and it's weird bit of humour.

Think of it as there are too many models at once in the simulation and it goes low res 😏

I’ve always liked all 3 too. I do think they drop in quality as they go on - 1st is fantastic, 2nd really great, 3rd good.

The thing I was hoping for with 3 is with it spending far longer in the real world, I wish Neo would have taken more powers back into it. Especially after that teaser at the end of 2. If it had Neo vs a army of those squid robot things it could have been a awesome set piece for the end. I still enjoyed the Super Agent Smith fight though. 

Really looking forward to the new one. Not seen the teasers yet.

I’m really surprised. I downloaded them all with the intention to watch them when 4 was first announced but after 1 I could bare the thought. Their track record hasn’t been great since speed racer either and even that only I seem to have loved.