passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

I watched Tenet last night. It's ok, it has a few impressive moments but it's underbaked, like they were determined to make a film based on the idea without managing to tie everything together. I saw some of the twists coming, and that they do it once means it's not a surprise when they go back to the same idea

It looks really expensive and it's got a great cast. The main woman is really tall too, which is odd and kind of nice to see, she dwarfs most of the male cast

oscar-isaac-is-solid-snake-in-mgs-movie.

Oscar Isaac Is Solid Snake In MGS Movie

Oscar Isaac is attached to play Solid Snake in the long-awaited film adaptation of the “Metal Gear Solid” video game series at Sony Pictures.

Based on the games created by Hideo Kojima and published by Konami, the film is being helmed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts (“Kong: Skull Island”) from a script by Derek Connolly.

First launching in 1998, the story follows Snake – a soldier who infiltrates a nuclear weapons facility to neutralize the terrorist threat from Foxhound, a renegade special forces unit.

Subsequent entries helped build up a complex mythology and turned Kojima into one of the most celebrated storytellers in the gaming world.

Avi Arad is producing. A production start date is unclear and Isaac schedule remains incredibly busy with commitments to HBO’s “Scenes From a Marriage,” Disney+ Marvel series “Moon Knight,” the film version of comic “Ex Machina” dubbed “The Great Machine,” and Barry Levinson’s “Francis and The Godfather”.

• 1 month later...

I watched a film the other day called Promising Young Woman. It's got a good script, sharp, but maybe a little "Marvel" sharp, that said, it is occasionally funny.

It gets a bit nihilistic though, everyone is kind of irredeemable, which is a shame because it's also likable and fun. It's about a woman who goes out at night to bars and pretends to be hammered to entrap men in to taking her home and try to take advantage of her. Or maybe they're trapping themselves. I was under the impression she was then fucking them up, but seemingly not, which I thought undermined the main character a bit. 

Definitely worth a watch, especially as there's nothing else coming out

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

It's been a while since I watched anything. I've been too tired. Added stress from work means the illness is flaring up randomly too. At this point, even the PS5 has been off for a week or two. 

So what better time to watch an old favourite. My personal favourite of the series, in fact. 

This scene in particular, Lil OCH would often try to re-enact in his bathrobe. Being a fan of villains, this film is held in higher esteem than the prior and latter entries. Nazi's are a bit of a generic threat. Death Cults, not so much. Mola Ram (aka Amresh Puri, RIP) is one of my favourites to this day.  9/10

I watched Next Goal Wins on Prime, about the Amerian Samoa football team (the worst team in the Fifa rankings at the time) on the run up to their 2014 world cup qualifying campaign. A great sports documentary that you don't need to be a football fan to enjoy.

Doctor Sleep

Enjoyed that a lot. May be blasphemous but I really don’t rate The Shining, I think it’s one of the most overrated films ever. But I realise that is partly due to the fact I saw it years after release and at the same time I also recognise the impact it’s had across all media and those scenes are iconic. Saying all that I liked this a lot more. Found it creepier, especially when it

Spoiler

returns to the hotel where it makes that place much more “scary” IMO and draws on the original really well.

Found it was just much more interesting throughout. Although, as are most recent films, it is far too long at 2.5 hours. Good film. 

Our cinemas reopen tomorrow.

Unfortunately they aren't really showing anything I'm interested in at the moment. Wonder Woman is missing, Wolfwalkers is there but only the French version (bleurgh), Midnight Sky is supposedly rubbish despite the good cast.

Hm.

Isnt midnight sky the netflix film thats on there already? And why do they have a french version of an irish animation? I've forgotten where you live.

Looks like bond will be delayed again. Godzilla due in may on HBO max and cinema. Can see the cinema release getting binned off unless there's a huge improvement before then.

Yeah, Midnight Sky is on Netflix. If it was super good I might have gone to see it in cinema still, but it doesn't look that way.

Wolfwalkers is a co-production between five or six countries, so there's a dub for every language involved here even though English is probably the original version (it's based on Irish folklore I think). We usually only get animated movies in German or French.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched Psycho Goreman earlier. It's alright, not funny enough for what it's trying to do, and the little girl is really hard to like. I get that she's not supposed to be liked, but she's not a funny enough character, and she doesn't use PG in interesting enough ways. It's not a bad film, it just needed to be either more violent or more daft

I also watched a film called Run, Hide, Fight. It's a fairly tasteless concept, set in a school shooting, a young girl fights off the attackers. I've just seen someone word it as "what if Die-Hard but a school shooting", and yeah, that's pretty much it. It's taken an absolute kicking with critics, which I thought was odd, because for all the bad taste it's not badly made. It's a bit slow getting going, there's some plot points that I don't think work, but the cast is mostly good, and some of the characters are good (the killers are cartoonish) with performances that I think improve the film. It's not progressive as such but you've got mixed race couples, a gay teacher who just happens to be gay and a teacher, it's not a hateful film

So I couldn't really understand the hate for it, it's dumb but not offensively so. It's crass but not ghoulish. The main killer reminded me of someone though, that guy, alt-right, proper creepy incel that gullible idiots think is smart. Couldn't place his name... then I watched the credits. 

Ben Shapiro, turns out his media company produced the film, he's an exec producer on it. I feel like the director maybe took the money then left a message in there because while it is a bit "good guy with a gun", it also feels like they've modelled a character on a certain type of person