passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Watched Tenet in the cinema the other week.

Cost me 33 quid for two tickets!

It was in IMAX and two balcony seats nowhere near anyone else, but still.

The film itself was ok but spent most of the time really confused. Will need a second viewing, and I'm not sure how plausible one fan theory is with the film's mechanics....

That Neil is actually Max (the kid) but in adult form, who's come back in time to help the protagonist.

I've also seen the new Bill & Ted film twice.  Had a session with the lady watching all 3 back to back.

I think the 2nd one is still the best, but the new one holds up. They could've fucked it up, but it's funny enough.

As a follow up to @mmmark's trailer above, I saw this one. Interesting that they matched it so closely.

I must admit I will be going into Dune with fresh eyes. I started to read the book years ago and it got sidelined for whatever reason. Never watched the 80's film though.

I had absolutely no contact with the universe so far except maybe 20 or 30 pages of the book. The trailer certainly didn't impress me that much, it looked very much how a modern Sci-Fi movie would look like. Maybe that's just me expecting something more unique from such a revered story but I felt a bit disappointed because I felt like I'd seen this all before, in one way or another.

In contrast, Lynch's movie does looks pretty solid for an 80's movie in that comparison. I haven't seen that one though, I just know it's considered pretty bad.

...so the movie comes out in December, technically that's more than enough time to give the book another shot. I guess I'll just put it on my bed table and see where it goes from there.

‘Mulan’ on Disney+ Has Seemingly Made More Money Than ‘Tenet’ Has in Theaters Worldwide

During the company’s last earnings report, Disney said that the streaming platform has amassed over 60 million global subscribers. Assuming that U.S. households make up 50% of that total base (Disney has not yet broken out the exact number of U.S-based subscribers)…data suggests that roughly 9 million users purchased the “Mulan” film for $30 a pop (29% of our estimated 30 million users.)…Under that scenario, net profits would pile up to $261 million for U.S. markets alone — and that’s on the conservative side.

Can't tell if that vindicates my view that they should go digital with stuff like Black Widow cause apparently Tenet's numbers are still considered pretty bad, it hasn't broken even last I read up on it.

On Dune I also tried reading the book a few years ago, talked about it on the gtm site at the time but I found it terrible. I hated Herbert's writing style and the way he italicizes internal thoughts. The villain was also really shit. Got halfway through it. But I'm still interested in the film because Bladerunner was excellent

Sort of catch 22 for me. On the one, yay, death to cinemas. Send the movie straight to my house.

On the other hand I’m never going to pay £30 or whatever the UK price is for a movie. I don’t care what movie it is. So it still isn’t working out for me.

(I get that the world is bigger than me, but I’m just saying) 

I would pay that, cinema costs aren't far off with transport and food and whatever else, especially if going as more than one.

I was reading some emails I got from the prince charles cinema and on one they were asking for donations as they adapt to socially distant viewings. It would be a shame if cinemas die out cause there's certain films which really benefit from the communal experience. Not big blockbusters or highly anticipated stuff cause you get fucking assholes who turn their phone on and take selfies and make noise. But Mandy at the prince charles and also Hereditary were very cool to watch in that kind of setting.

On the flipside worst experience I ever had was seeing Us in Boston cause I don't know if it's an American thing but you had people who would not stop shouting at the screen like they're doing live reactions or something. Talking to the movie out loud, omg. I think that's half the reason I don't like that film.

I was a bit shocked when I found out the American style of cinema visits and how they consider audiences that don't react to every fart on the screen with loud noises boring. I mean what's up with that? There's a place and time to be noisy and that's not in the cinema.

I'd also really hate it if cinemas died out. For me it's not even the communal thing as I mostly go alone, but there's just a bunch of movies that are made to be experienced in that setting. From screen size to audio, it's just a different feeling than a TV in your living room, no matter how big it might be. Watching Lord of the Rings at home is nice and all but everyone who saw these movies in cinemas will agree that it's just night and day.

I wish there were more reasons to go to the cinema at the moment. I haven't seen Tenet yet and next month brings us Wonder Woman, which I've been looking forward to all year. Bt that's about it. Covid plus less movies just screams doom for them. It's sad to see.

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I really can't see why anyone would be willing to pay £30 for a rental, if that's what it is, fuck that 

The Disney+ Mulan thing is weird. It's £20 ($30) to watch as much as you want, but you must also be paying the monthly subscription to have access to it.

Well that's like not buying a game cause you bet it would be on gamepass in 5 months, I cba with waiting to see if something I like will be cheap like that. I just watch/play what I want when I can and I have an interest in doing so

I do think the continued sub to keep access to your Mulan purchase is fucking stupid though. But I would pay 30 euro to watch Dune provided it doesn't disintegrate after viewing. Even if it's like you can only watch it for a week or whatever and provided it's a high quality stream/download. 4k whatever. I don't watch a movie like that more than once usually anyway.

This is as alternative to the proper way of going to a cinema which I won't do for a long time.

9 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Well that's like not buying a game cause you bet it would be on gamepass in 5 months, I cba with waiting to see if something I like will be cheap like that. I just watch/play what I want when I can and I have an interest in doing so

I know you touch on this, but this difference is that you don't have to keep Game Pass to play that game

It's your money, and I can understand paying to "get it early" but let's hope this doesn't become the norm 

Prime is different. Amazon sell rentals and digital films, they sell them from the same place as you access Prime. Same way you don't get every album just because you have Amazon music 

I'm not going to say it isn't irritating but I've never got the confusion over it personally 

Yeah I didn’t think it was either although the awful UI doesn’t help. You’re not paying again to rent films, you can rent them elsewhere that has no monthly subscription @Nag. There should be a way to turn off what’s not included in prime.

On 18/09/2020 at 13:51, one-armed dwarf said:

I would pay that (£30), cinema costs aren't far off with transport and food and whatever else, especially if going as more than one.

You’re not forced to eat there and idk if the whatever else includes getting the MOT done or something?

As someone that lives alone I shan’t be paying £20+ to stream a single movie. Cheeky bastards would probably still include the 30 minutes of ads.