passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

opposite for me. I thought it was a huge step up from the last one, which is up there with the stupidest films I've ever watched.

It felt like it was done by a different team than the last one, which is a bit of a mixed blessing. It was smaller scale in terms of story, less nonsense than at the end of the last one, however Jamie-Lee Curtis felt like a different character in this one. The previous 2 films she's been ultra capable, emotionally tough, proper nails, here she takes shit, backs down, probably a nicer person to be around, but there's no way the woman from the last 2 films turns in to this

To be clear kills is a 4. Ends is a 5 and the “first” is a 7. They made Michael an OAP. A lot of the other movies are better than kills and ends. Even Paul Rudd’s story arch has more depth and that’s saying something.

He is now making exorcist sequels. Another trilogy ignoring everything else.

On 15/10/2022 at 22:01, DANGERMAN said:

opposite for me. I thought it was a huge step up from the last one, which is up there with the stupidest films I've ever watched.

It felt like it was done by a different team than the last one, which is a bit of a mixed blessing. It was smaller scale in terms of story, less nonsense than at the end of the last one, however Jamie-Lee Curtis felt like a different character in this one. The previous 2 films she's been ultra capable, emotionally tough, proper nails, here she takes shit, backs down, probably a nicer person to be around, but there's no way the woman from the last 2 films turns in to this

Yeah, I largely agree with this take rather than Mark's. 

Saw Ends at the cinema Saturday night and it's an absolutely massive step-up compared to the atrocious Kills. Felt completely different to Kills, they seemed to almost completely forget Kills existed, that's the reason I came up with why Laurie is so different in this one and I don't think the events of Kills are ever really referenced, considering the way that ended I don't really know how the continuity could've ever really carried on.

I really like how different it was as well, I've seen criticism online of how little Michael is in it and that it isn't a 'Halloween movie' but I think the story arc they told here with Corey's character was wholly more interesting than another film of Michael escaping then murdering half of Haddonfield again. I get why it won't be everyone's cup of tea but I felt it was a really fresh and original take. Wholly more interesting and entertaining that the phoned in three-quel this could've been anyway, especially after Kills was so phoned in and weird.

On 16/10/2022 at 00:11, mmmark said:

To be clear kills is a 4. Ends is a 5 and the “first” is a 7. They made Michael an OAP. A lot of the other movies are better than kills and ends. Even Paul Rudd’s story arch has more depth and that’s saying something.

He is now making exorcist sequels. Another trilogy ignoring everything else.

I agree with your score of Kills but think Ends is way better than a 5, for me anyway, I'd give it at the very least a 7 and 2018 is probably a 9 for me, pretty much the perfect Halloween film. 

I really need to see more of the older films, I don't think I've ever seen 3, 4, 5, CoMM. Not seen either of the two Rob Zombie films either.

Saw

Rosemary's Baby (1968). I'd never seen it before, tremendous film and an interesting twist on the 

Spoiler

mephistopheles tale. 

. Probably don't need to spoiler that these days.

Noroi: The Curse (2005). Found footage/mockumentary about a demon and possessions. It's got a pretty interesting story but I absolutely hated the image quality on shudder, even by found footage standards it was very compressed and hard to read the subtitles which were often on top of other text. A pretty bad representation of it, I wonder if the bluray would be a lot better.

Parasite (2019). Really good, fun to watch film with a strong visual language to its social commentary. Images of damp rats nibbling at the heels of the upper class, but I also think the title of the film is a bit of a double entendre and there's more than one 'parasite' here, the affluent being much more exploitative and possessive of labour, even if not outright con-people like the main characters are. A dark parody of the 'hustle culture' mentality, that all it takes is pulling oneself up by the bootstraps. Only downside is no rich people actually get eaten

7 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I'll be there Day 1, bloody love the Saw franchise. Great to see Tobin back for the new one. 

it was pants 

Spoiler

After he died.

I just remembered I interviewed an actress from the last saw movie (not spiral). I can’t remember how that came about 😅

I saw Pearl (2022) by Ti West, who did that boring Devil House thing I watched a while ago. But this was really good! Very slow at the start, could have shaved 5 minutes off in the first half maybe. But it was really good and quite sinister and scary once it got going.

Basically it's set during the Spanish Flu epidemic at the end of the First World War, and a combination of restrictions from the pandemic, waiting for her husband and tending to her elderly father has the lead (Mia Goth) feeling very deprived and wanting to get something out of her life. It's like a weird mashup of The Wizard of Oz and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, a very heightened kind of 'twee' horror with maybe my favourite lead performance in a horror type movie since Toni Collete in Hereditary. It's got a good balance of dark comedy and fucked up violent outbursts. Big recommend

It's also apparently a prequel to another film called X, which I heard isn't quite as good but will definitely check out now

X is awesome you crackpot. Me and Ben have talked about it in here somewhere..

I watched Scream (2022) last night and while not really bad it was still let down by some terrible acting courtesy of Cox and Campbell. They’re hallmark movie levels of poor acting and are actually outshined by the younger cast surrounding them.

The story was fine although it comes across as convoluted as can be. I wasn’t sure what was real or a reference to a movie but those movies are about a thing that happened so it’s all real? But the movies became bad so that was made up?

Like a lot of horrors now it played off of tropes, but a little too much to the point of becoming boring.

Spoiler

I didn’t like sherif dying because he’s the best one and now that’s that.

Looks like there’s going to be another but without Neve Campbell; "As a woman I have had to work extremely hard in my career to establish my value, especially when it comes to Scream. I felt the offer that was presented to me did not equate to the value I have brought to the franchise. It's been a very difficult decision to move on. To all my Scream fans, I love you. You've always been so incredibly supportive to me. I'm forever grateful to you and to what this franchise has given me over the past 25 years."

Ummm 7/10 I guess. 

11d30a00b5b94ef285dda6cbaa999e40.png

Barbarian

This was fun! The first act is fantastic, with palpable tension. The overall structure is also excellent. Your mileage may vary when the gore kicks in. But as the first film I've seen in months, I thoroughly enjoyed it! 9/10

Note: I am intentionally keeping this vague. As it is a film you should see without hearing too much about it. Not so much for the sake of spoilers. But most importantly, to get the most visceral reaction to what's going on. Good 18 Certificate horror is better experienced than read about.