passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Jurassic World: Dominion... never truly bad but never really anything more than OK, a disappointing end to the trilogy. Biggest downer is the lack of a truly epic Dinosaur brawl.

On 11/06/2022 at 16:20, Nag said:

Jurassic World: Dominion... never truly bad but never really anything more than OK, a disappointing end to the trilogy. Biggest downer is the lack of a truly epic Dinosaur brawl.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I really liked the first two JW films but this just felt like a bit of a mess really. 

It still had its moments, seeing Dr Grant, Ellie Sadler and Ian Malcolm all together again was really cool, some of the sequences and chase scenes with dinos were well executed but it just felt a bit rushed and not very well put together in the edit. 

On 11/06/2022 at 16:20, Nag said:

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I really liked the first two JW films but this just felt like a bit of a mess really. 

It still had its moments, seeing Dr Grant, Ellie Sadler and Ian Malcolm all together again was really cool, some of the sequences and chase scenes with dinos were well executed but it just felt a bit rushed and not very well put together in the edit. 

There were also really strange edits in this too. Scenes just seemed to jump at certain points. Also as nice as it was to have the cast of JP1 in this. They were superfluous for the most part. You could have removed their subplot and the rest would be unaffected.

Personally I thought it was too long, too slow and there were too many characters. That first hour with Chris Pratt's character was terrible. Like watching a discount Bond film. When the film series involves living dinosaurs, yet the suspension of disbelief comes from the actions of a human. You realise the writing of this film went amiss. 5/10

Sonic 2

Really enjoyed that. Great fun! Got a bit too kiddie at times but can’t hold that against it obviously. Maybe a touch too long too. But overall it was ace. 

Spoiler

Psyched to see Super Sonic made it in. Knuckles was brill. The Death Egg Robot was a great end fight to have. Ending credits sequence properly tugged at the old nostalgia. Only disappointment was the post credits scene. I was really hoping it was going to be Metallix. 

The Sadness. Pretty grizzly film that follows a woman and her partner as they attempt to meet up and survive a mutation to a pandemic that’s making people not only act violently but fulfil dark desires. It’s very gory and has excellent practical fx.

8/10

6943E795-2ECC-4D08-8B3C-4AC55520F800.gif

Last Night in Soho (Sky Movies)

Edgar Wright's super stylish time bending throwback to 1960s London, starring Thomasin McKenzie, Anna Taylor Joy and Matt Smith. What starts as a delightful throwback turns into a dark twisty enjoyable thriller, as a fashion student struggles with fantasy and reality and the aspirations for stardom in the big city.

Pretty good all up.

33 minutes ago, OCH said:

I enjoyed it, aside from whatever accent the lead actress is supposed to have.🤔

Well better than me....

Spoiler

I spent a good part of the film wondering whether both her and the 'dream girl' were both played by Anna Taylor Joy - not sure whether that was a deliberate casting (and plot thread) or my lack of observation.

Also, and maybe I missed it, whether there was supposed to be a clear link to her mum's suicide (in the thread of events) even though that time period would have been out of phase with the 60s.

Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness

On Disney+ now. Loved it, surprisingly brutal in places for a Marvel film. Really didn’t mess about either, straight into suit happening and didn’t really have any lulls at all. 2 hours were over before I knew it. Wanted more TBH. Rare I feel like that. Bit abrupt how they decided to

Spoiler

stop Scarlet Witch, but kind of understandable. Don’t know how else they could have resolved it with how powerful they’d made her. 

Big thumbs up from me. 

I loved some of the direction, and I will agree that it's probably the most direct Marvel film (there's always something happening).

The problem I had with it though is that it feels like you've missed the first 10 minutes or something. Not just with how it opens, but it feels like there's some build up you've just not seen

Spoiler

I say that as someone who watched Wandavision

Which is another thing, the way that ended, the whole thing it built up to, was her accepting her loss and her grief. As such I just never really went along with it, whenever she was doing something evil it didn't fit. Not that she isn't a convincing villain

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

This was pretty great, although you probably absolutely have to be a Nicolas Cage fan to get the most out of it. Cage plays Cage who is making a lot of mediocre films a year to stay relevant and can’t get any big roles anymore. A millionaire fan invites him to his birthday party in Spain for $1m.

I won’t spoil anything from then on but there’s twists and turns and a few different genre of films played out. Highly recommended. 

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Lightyear in the cinema last night. 6/10 at best for me. The opening was needlessly complicated and not remotely interesting. The characters were for the most part boring and uninteresting (but the cat was cute). The film doesn’t feel like a Toy Story film at all, or even in the same genre. It’s much closer to a cartoon Star Wars or Top Gun. Which would be fine if it was good but…it doesn’t help that it’s coming so soon after the excellent Top Gun Maverick. And Starman by David Bowie didn’t even play in the film.

There is one shockingly dirty joke in the film that is very funny.

All in all, a disappointing Pixar film.

Forgot to mention I'd seen Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City... I wish I hadn't bothered tbf, it's great if you want a masterclass in character assassination otherwise don't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll rarely switch off a movie and will suffer through it, however Jurassic World Dominion was making me so infuriated I couldn’t make it past the 41 minute mark.

To watch the original 3 dragged through something so bad in terms of story, dialogue and visuals was making me angry.

I think they’d realised that Chris Pratts character was so bad that they had dumb everyone else down to his level of waving his finger at a fucking dinosaur and calling it naughty.

An example of poor script is when clone girl with the most ott English accent is shit scared of a velociraptor who Chris stares at with his big dumb face and makes run away. He then goes after it and the supposedly terrified girl says who just breathed a sigh of relief to not being ripped apart by a prehistoric set of running blades says “I’m coming with you”. What?

When Jeff is introduced they’ve watched Jurassic park and tried to make him sound clever yet it’s the mutterings of someone who has done 10 minutes of research on YouTube, not the renowned smart arse from 3 decades ago. To see the audience so intently focused on his dumb lecture was quite funny.

The cgi ranged from as good as you’d expect to that doesn’t look like it fits to the real world shot at all. The practical models are especially poor and it’s very jarring to go from crisp clean fake cgi dinosaur to real model made from corn flake packet dinosaur while poor old Laura Dern is patting it and trying her best to act like it looks brilliant.

I didn’t think much of JW1 and 2 but I didn’t hate them and quite easily sat through and got some enjoyment out of them. This though is some next level garbage that has scenes every few moments that makes a cell phone ringing in a dinosaur’s belly look like masterful story telling.

BAC1DBE9-C865-4FEA-A1FB-5B7ABF452B80.webp

I watched The Black Phone last night and it's really good, were it not for Everything Everywhere... it'd be my favourite film of the year I think. It's not a straight up horror, more a thriller with some horror elements. It did actually make me jump at least once